Rugby Union

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Rugby Union 2022.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:02 pm

Admitting my rugby knowledge is limited, but I thought Jones was pretty good generally.
Then again, I've never been a sack the manager advocate. Time, as ever, will tell.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:02 pm
Admitting my rugby knowledge is limited, but I thought Jones was pretty good generally.
Then again, I've never been a sack the manager advocate. Time, as ever, will tell.
Good couple of years, then a couple of really poor years, with the odd highlight. He's served us pretty well overall so sad but inevitable that we were due the change.

There absolutely comes a time when change is needed. We can't have managers paid huge sums and not delivering. Removal comes with the territory.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm

I think it's fair to say, with the financial state of RU the next manager will be on a lot less bunce
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:45 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm
I think it's fair to say, with the financial state of RU the next manager will be on a lot less bunce
Not sure that's correct - I think you're confusing clubs in trouble vs the RFU. It's a bit like suggesting the FA are in bother because Bolton and Bury had problems...The RFU made a fairly substantial profit last accounts and that includes already paying a pretty decent sum to one E.Jones Esq.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:45 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Not sure that's correct - I think you're confusing clubs in trouble vs the RFU. It's a bit like suggesting the FA are in bother because Bolton and Bury had problems...The RFU made a fairly substantial profit last accounts and that includes already paying a pretty decent sum to one E.Jones Esq.
Oh mate, I'm aware they have a lot of resources at their disposal, but when top class clubs can't pay their staff, the RFU will be looked at without much fondness if they go spending £5-6m on their new Head Coach's 5yr contract - Lead by example on the modest wage approach
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:57 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:16 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:45 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Oh mate, I'm aware they have a lot of resources at their disposal, but when top class clubs can't pay their staff, the RFU will be looked at without much fondness if they go spending £5-6m on their new Head Coach's 5yr contract - Lead by example on the modest wage approach
I'm sorry, you're suggesting we scrimp and save on the most important job in England? No Sir.

I don't have much sympathy for most of these leading Clubs - it's a little different than football, in the sense that these are not Clubs that have fallen on significantly hard times, due to a couple of relegations. They've just over-spent on the maximum they're likely to earn in the top division, so they've pretty much reached the absolute ceiling and chosen to breach it. Clubs like Sale were notorious in the late 70's for poaching (at the time "amateur" players), by offering them better "boot money." There's a salary cap, which they try to find ways around (CFI Saracens). So I'm not really at all sympathetic to the clubs (whilst having similar levels of sympathy towards their suffering fans as with football). There are others that would be willing to take their place.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:14 pm

Probably little surprise in Steve Borthwick's appointment. Added bonus of a Sinfield too! Gawd bless HMS Borthwick and all who sail with him.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:15 am

2-15 Wales v Ireland on BBC Sport then England v Scotland on ITV at 4-45 just as Bolton game finishes...France v Italy 3-0 tomorrow...Lovely :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:45 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:15 am
2-15 Wales v Ireland on BBC Sport then England v Scotland on ITV at 4-45 just as Bolton game finishes...France v Italy 3-0 tomorrow...Lovely :oyea:
Gonna be interesting. Borthwick selections looked a lot like Eddie's...bit surprised he stuck with Smith and Farrell, but I think that combo could work if they kick less and use the back line...nervous and I think a loss would not be well receives with his selections...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:03 pm

27-3 to the boys in green at half time, due in no small measure to Wales gifting penalties all over the place.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:03 pm
27-3 to the boys in green at half time, due in no small measure to Wales gifting penalties all over the place.
And also in no small measure to Ireland just blowing them away...mighty impressive first 25 minutes.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:11 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:03 pm
And also in no small measure to Ireland just blowing them away...mighty impressive first 25 minutes.
Tis the truth sure an all.... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:31 pm

And it could have been such a good day: Bolton won, Ireland beat Wales and we.....lost to Scotland. Scots defence was superior and we left the barn door open once too often. Owen Farrell failed with two kicks (difficult angles granted) and lost to the better side. Going to be hard work now.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:49 pm

Cracking game of rugby, have to say. Thought England looked dominant at the gain line, good rush defence and better kick chase. Also looked like they thought they would win, which as a long-suffering fan of the dark blue, usually turns out to be the difference.

Glad to be wrong today, squeaked a win at a tough stadium, removing the asterix win from the win 2 years ago. (Covid, empty stadium).

Edit - ironic really, I was worried about who was on the benches before the game.

England's tactics were sound today, perhaps not the subs... but hopeful that maybe a Scotland team might finally capitilize on some promise. Wales are our bogey side though... what I wouldn't give for us to hand out a tonking.

Any thoughts on Borthwick vs Eddie? Or too early to say.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:53 pm

^^ Good win for the Scots, in what for me saw defensive frailties in both sides. Couple of tries where I thought defenders didn't make their tackles. Away wins are pretty rare (for most teams) so good stuff from you boys to do that thing again. I'd worry about either team playing France or Ireland, as entertaining as the game was.

Borthwick needs some more games alongside Sinfield and I predicted a minor meltdown should he pick Smith/Farrell and lose...but I think we tried to move it a little more than under Eddie. For me England have been losing their way for a number of years and the set piece looks pretty shaky at the moment, which given the size of the selection pool we have vs some other six nations sides is pretty poor.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:13 pm

Not following club rugby I was chuffed to see Malin's two tries. The second was brilliant.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:18 pm

Italy came this close......from beating the French champs. Another cracking game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 pm

Spent this evening watching Ireland edge past France, Scotland beat Wales by a point and England beat Italy in the Under 20 Six Nations league. Had worse night's T.V.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:46 am

Is George Ford still injured? I thought we might see him included for this Six Nations squad. Surprised too at leaving Marcus Smith out?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:30 pm

Half time in the France v Ireland game just as we kick off at 3-oclock. Scotland v Wales at 4-45 just as we finish. Ha, this sporting life.. :D