RWC 2023

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: RWC 2023

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:52 pm

Just saying hello. Nothing more... :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:53 pm

Hello back. Nothing more :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:57 pm

One penalty, one point. So sorry for the England heroes. Fantastic game. Besr side lost tonight.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:51 am

🌹🌹🌹🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Proud of the way we put bodies on the line and left nothing in the hut. Gameplan was solid enough. I felt we probably needed 15 points up at half time to nullify the bomb squad (but wasn't expecting it) and 12-6 was a reasonable reflection, in the event 9 points up at half time and we probably just win.

They're World Champs for a reason, though. They know how to pressure tiring teams and open up chinks in the defence. Good try in the second half.

Even then, we're still in front in the 77th minute when we concede a 50 yard pen, more to do with tiredness than England's typical random acts of indiscipline. Still needed kicking, but pressure kick like that, Pollard is one of the few you'd pick, if given the choice.

I was expecting a beating and for us to win we'd have to be at our very best. We were pretty close to that, given our build up was poor pre-tournament. And we were close. Agonisingly, tantalisingly close, without which, it would've been pretty easy to dismiss England's WC as luck of an easy draw.

Proud of the way they played. Head's to be held high.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:37 pm

We can still take a World Cup bronze medal, but the Argies will want it too. I still think the All Blacks will take the cup, but Que Sera again. Time will undoubtedly tell as ever. Do you agree with D,allaglio that the final penalty was a soft one? I'm not knowledgable to know one way or the other.?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:40 pm

Tricky one TD. By which I mean if you just looked at the collapse, he probably got that bit right. Penalty them

If you look at how it's set up, Koch is pretty much at 90 degrees to where he should be, before the ball goes in the scrum, so for me, that should probably have been a reset scrum...

What I would say is sometimes you get those calls other times not.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:47 am

Really sad news that Courtney Lawes is retiring from the international scene. One of my favourite players. I reckon a few more will follow, Marler, Cole, George etc, but that's just uneducated assumption.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:00 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:47 am
Really sad news that Courtney Lawes is retiring from the international scene. One of my favourite players. I reckon a few more will follow, Marler, Cole, George etc, but that's just uneducated assumption.
Certainly, a few will make way, TD - reality is we build in World Cup cycles, so we need to identify who's going to be around in 4 years...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:12 pm

Here goes the game no one really wants. 3rd v 4th Play-off. Overall England did better than their form coming in suggested so I'm not unhappy.

There's been some cracking games on the way, courtesy of the draw and the number of big games won by 3 points or less has been testament to how closely some teams have been matched.

Looking forwards to tomorrow's final which might be another close one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:42 pm

Glad some of the retirees got a last medal, even if it was the bronze.

Think England now need to have a serious think around the 4 year plan. We can't carry on just playing "kick it back," as other sides progress. I think now might be the time to take the house down to foundations, even if it then takes a few years to get the roof back on (albeit, I'll still grumble for losing albeit maybe a little mitigated for style)...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:26 am

I still reckon that both semi-finalists should get achievement medals. It would save them having to re-prove points and be much fairer to teams like Argentina who deserve something. Losing last night must be a bit like being fourth in the Olympics. Just a view.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:26 am
I still reckon that both semi-finalists should get achievement medals. It would save them having to re-prove points and be much fairer to teams like Argentina who deserve something. Losing last night must be a bit like being fourth in the Olympics. Just a view.
Yeah. To put it in a bit of context. The Northen hemisphere teams (many of whom might fancy their chances v Argies) aren't great at this. Only England from North have ever won it. France have managed three finals but despite having some great teams down the years, missed out. Wales have managed 2 semi finals, Scotland 1, Ireland have never managed to pass the last 8 (and whilst it's correct to say the draw didn't help them this time, they were the #1 ranked team going into the finals) - last time out, England would have had to beat both South Africa and NZ to win it, which is a bit of an ask even though they beat the ABs.

This is Argies 2nd semis, I think, and they're no mugs, having taken some big scalps in the last 12 months. As with any sport, for me a RWC winners medal for your national side, is the pinnacle. Some players might have put 20-25 years in for their biggest moment. In reality no one really wants a 3rd/4th placed medal, although some might be happy to take one. Whether they look back in 40 years thinking what might have been or look what I achieved will be between them and their memories.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:27 pm
Whether they look back in 40 years thinking what might have been or look what I achieved will be between them and their memories.
Presumably it will depend on the context of missing out. I look back at my sporting achievements from 30 odd years ago with mixed emotions. Some I/we could have done better and the runners up medal almost seems to mock me. One in particular I know the team played its very best to a man. It was very close but I look at that runners up medal with pride knowing we came within a whisker of beating the best side in the country at the time when we probably had no right to on ability.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:00 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Whether they look back in 40 years thinking what might have been or look what I achieved will be between them and their memories.
Presumably it will depend on the context of missing out. I look back at my sporting achievements from 30 odd years ago with mixed emotions. Some I/we could have done better and the runners up medal almost seems to mock me. One in particular I know the team played its very best to a man. It was very close but I look at that runners up medal with pride knowing we came within a whisker of beating the best side in the country at the time when we probably had no right to on ability.
For sure, mate. This all over, which in part is why I suspect England looked pretty pleased with a bronze. My initial reaction was they looked a bit overly pleased with third but then a lot of talk prior, was we might not get out of the group and we came within three minutes of another final. :-)

I think, also, there's how you did in your personal performance and if you've managed to win your own battle. So hope they all look back with fondness, because what might have been, is not a great place.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:00 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
For sure, mate. This all over, which in part is why I suspect England looked pretty pleased with a bronze. My initial reaction was they looked a bit overly pleased with third but then a lot of talk prior, was we might not get out of the group and we came within three minutes of another final. :-)

I think, also, there's how you did in your personal performance and if you've managed to win your own battle. So hope they all look back with fondness, because what might have been, is not a great place.
Yeah, one cup final I, with a little more composure, would have scored a winner and I wouldn't have what ifs...but then, I was only 11 for that one so I'll let myself off :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:47 pm

34 minutes in Saffers 12-3, ABs two yellows for pretty innocuous stuff, one upgraded to red. Should be game over. Ruined final.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:00 pm

They've got a massive problem as a sport. Rightly conscious of concussion and head injuries but you can't have 1 in 4 games (including now the world cup final) decided by accidental bumps of heads.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:09 pm

Not just that, mate, they then add in that sometimes there's mitigation, which actually doesn't make anyone's head less sore. Everyone walking on a rugby pitch knows they might get hurt. Crazy.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:16 pm

Didn't have long to wait for the case in point.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:06 pm

Well. QF, Semi and Finals all by one point. 4 WCs. Congrats to the Saffers.