Curry

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

Curry

Post by Batman » Wed May 10, 2006 9:53 pm

Just been out for a curry with the missus to celebrate her finishing her Masters' course. Had a beltin Special Tandoori Mix and Pilau rice and one of those Peshwari naanbreads. Washed down with litres of Kingfisher and I am a satisfied boy (and Boro got leathered).

Made me wonder what the TW dudes consider to be the finest curry, and where you get it from.

My vote goes for

Special Tandoori Mix at King Karai on Preston docks.....

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Wed May 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Good shout Batty, it's about time we had a thread about our national dish :)

I had a Goan Kingfish Masala cooked on a the beach in India by the same people who caught the fish that morning. Freshly made naan dripping with garlic butter... ice cold Kingfisher. It was just staggeringly good - the single best meal I've ever had.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed May 10, 2006 10:07 pm

Quiffer, give me a UK vote son...........let's try and create a list of recommendations in the UK.

That does sound feckin delicious though - I had one on Clarke Quay in Singapore last year......blew my socks off!!!

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Wed May 10, 2006 10:13 pm

Hmmm I'm a bit out of touch with what's good in the North West, but if you're ever in Nottingham where I lived before I can recommend Savera on Derby Road. Worth the short trip if you happen to be in the Gun Capital. It's got a kind of sleazy atmoshphere and stunning Onion Bhajis :) Best ever. Does a decent Keema too, nowt like some miscellaneous meat in your naan bread. If you're feeling upmarket there is 4550 Miles from Dehli in the centre which is more 'posh Indian' rather than a good old curry house nosh up.

If anyone has any recommendations for central or West London then I'm all ears!

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed May 10, 2006 10:18 pm

in terms of 'posh' indian, I recommend Shajan on the road to Clitheroe, got a table booked there for next week, really nice food. My indian mate reckons it is the only place in the UK which comes close to being authentic Indian food.

or we could just follow Viz and go up the Bigg Market to see Lord Harpole............

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Wed May 10, 2006 10:21 pm

50sQuiff wrote:Hmmm I'm a bit out of touch with what's good in the North West, but if you're ever in Nottingham where I lived before I can recommend Savera on Derby Road. Worth the short trip if you happen to be in the Gun Capital. It's got a kind of sleazy atmoshphere and stunning Onion Bhajis :) Best ever. Does a decent Keema too, nowt like some miscellaneous meat in your naan bread. If you're feeling upmarket there is 4550 Miles from Dehli in the centre which is more 'posh Indian' rather than a good old curry house nosh up.

If anyone has any recommendations for central or West London then I'm all ears!
I know a really good one in Woolwich, right opposite the Artillery Barracks. King Prawn Biryani. Extra Hot Garlic Chilli Chicken and a Keema Naan. QUite a few years ago though.......

Kury in Aberdeen on King STreet. Same dishes though.......

Nazma in Peterhead. Their Thali(sp) 14 different dishes on one HUGE platter. Take expanding trousers for more than one reason........

Moriarty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Moriarty » Wed May 10, 2006 11:09 pm

in the boro me and my mates go the weatherspoons religously every Thursday for Curry night (£4 for a curry and a pint) and your laughing and they have some good ales which change every week for us to experiment with...

Good stuff

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed May 10, 2006 11:10 pm

Moriarty wrote:in the boro me and my mates go the weatherspoons religously every Thursday for Curry night (£4 for a curry and a pint) and your laughing and they have some good ales which change every week for us to experiment with...

Good stuff

I totally agree.

'Spoons is a bag of shit but curry night is ace. Boss even.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed May 10, 2006 11:16 pm

The Weatherspoons in Preston was pretty good for food, but the last time they went it was god damn awful.

They must have changed their chef, or cut down on the quality of ingredients, I don't know. All I do know is i'm not going back.

As for currys, Sagar in Bolton is absoloutly amazng, never been to a curry house yet that has beaten it.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed May 10, 2006 11:17 pm

Stop it with this keema/peshwari naan naansense. It's plain naan or, at a push, garlic naan.

Then, if you can get a place to do it well, prawn pathia and an aloo gobi, or a mushroom bhaji, if you must.

And none of your chicken tikka sikkbag rubbish, or poncy biryanis.

Mind, chicken jalfrezie hits the spot!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed May 10, 2006 11:21 pm

It's been nearly twenty years, but the best curry I have ever had in Bolton was Tam's on Chorley Old Road.

Deeeeeeeeelish :D :D :D
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed May 10, 2006 11:25 pm

SUNAR GAW OPPOSITE BURNDEN, OR EAT WITH THE INDIANS AT SPICE VALLEY
Sto ut Serviam

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed May 10, 2006 11:31 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:SUNAR GAW OPPOSITE BURNDEN, OR EAT WITH THE INDIANS AT SPICE VALLEY
Ooh, I've got a takeaway down the road from me called Sonar Gao. I thought it was a tribute our underwater acoustics business. Now I see how foolish I've been...

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed May 10, 2006 11:53 pm

If you're ever in this neck of the woods, then it's got to be Gulshan on Aigburth Road, or if in the city centre then it's Shapla on Whitechapel - *puts on Samuel L Jackson voice* "mmmmm, that is a tasty curry".

Jalfrezi's spectacular there, but so are a couple of the chef's special dishes...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu May 11, 2006 7:44 am

The Nawaab and the Spics Garden in Bradford

Or Mumtaz in Bradford

(But don't let anyone try and convince you that Akbars is the place to go. Overpriced, over full, trying too hard to be a trendy serious restaurant and full of Leeds wannabes.)

In London - Zaika and The Cinnamon Club
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu May 11, 2006 8:47 am

Dilshad's on Friargate do a fantastic tikka masala, the spicy kind

sagars used to do the best creamy masala but not been for years

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu May 11, 2006 9:05 am

my favourite was Tandoori Kitchen on the Curry Mile in Rusholme, but it's gone now. and as a consequence i've not been down there in ages.

there was also the amazing Nehmet Kadar (sp) in Chorlton, but that's gone too. bastards!

my local in Flixton the Mizan Tandoori is decent enough though.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Thu May 11, 2006 9:16 am

communistworkethic wrote: Or Mumtaz in Bradford
Was a poor penniless student in Bradford, so could only afford the Mumtaz on rare occasions - but it was really good.
Used to spend more time in a dingy place called Shabina on Great Horton Road near the Shearbridge pub - can't imagine it's still there anymore.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Thu May 11, 2006 9:19 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:SUNAR GAW OPPOSITE BURNDEN, OR EAT WITH THE INDIANS AT SPICE VALLEY
Went there for my birthday last month - was well impressed. The waiter didn't really bother with the menu - just asked for an idea of what we wanted, and came up with the goods. I know that smacks of them just using up the fullest pan in the kitchen, but it was really good food.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Thu May 11, 2006 9:25 am

50sQuiff wrote: If anyone has any recommendations for central or West London then I'm all ears!
Went to Bombay Brasserie opposite Gloucester Road tube. Really expensive, and not sure it merited the extra money. But good for a special occasion. Some of the fish starters were fantastic.

And by the way, can someone tell me how I do multiple quotes from different posters within the same post please?