Margaret Thatcher

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 17, 2006 11:54 am

david lee's bald patch wrote:Are they her fault aswell?!?!

I'm not with you there pal
The point was related to the coal industry DLBP, in relation to affecting pit closures and its affect on said decision making.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Wed May 17, 2006 11:56 am

david lee's bald patch wrote:Margaret Thatcher was a f*#kin arsehole.
Yuppie creating working class hating tw*t.

Only thing worse than her is wankas like you holding her up as the builder of modern prosperous Britain!! All Bollox, if Britain is doing alright it's in spite of her not because of her.
Yep I think without the tearing down of the control economy, privatization, de-regulation, the end of union militancy, encouragement of property ownership and reduction in direct taxation we could've built on the economic success of the 70s and now all live in a worker's paradise.

What planet are you on? Real wages have been rising for 20-odd years. The base level of the 'have-nots' has constantly risen and they're now more employed than ever. That's far more important than your class-hatred for the 'have's'.

The 80s must have been painful for many (my family included) and I can fully understand the bitterness. Nor has everything been a roaring success, not least privatisation. But the alternative would have really seen the country go to rack and ruin and you wouldn't be sat there running your own internet business or whatever the url in your signature refers to.
Last edited by 50sQuiff on Wed May 17, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed May 17, 2006 12:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:"SMOKELESS ZONES"......anyone?
Weren't they in the late 70s?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 17, 2006 12:05 pm

ratbert wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:"SMOKELESS ZONES"......anyone?
Weren't they in the late 70s?
Implemented later than MT maybe, but when were they planned and did the planning start with phasing out the pit industry or intent to do so as a future move ? Vision of the future etc, etc. Question, not statement.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

fanz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by fanz » Wed May 17, 2006 12:20 pm

People like Tatlocks dad make me sick, I am not surprised by his stance on Thatcher he was probably in one of the industries which was culled for the benefit of the country. Then he call's anyone a Nazi who supports her, let me tell you something Tatlock if people like you had been running the country during the war we would be part of the German Empire now. You wooly Liberal idiot.

Margaret Thatcher is the srongest post war leader this country has seen, what I would give for her now instead of this American glove puppet we have in charge.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed May 17, 2006 12:27 pm

I think that she was what the country needed (a strong leader to sort things out) but soon turned into the total opposite, her governments let interest rates spiral out of control (almost), encourages a me me me culture, put VAT up twice, let unemployment rise and rise (good way to get the interest rates down this), being from the sunny tory loving South I thought she definately had it in for the miners and did not care one jot about the impact closing the mines would have on the communities around them, in the main they were labour voters so she would lost out, it did not matter if the mine made money or not she wanted them all closed. Likes todays government she came to power full of promises and in the end did what they wanted to do forgetting the real reasons they are elected, also like todays lot she was the USA's lapdog and would have done anything for old Ronnie!

As I left school in the early 80's without a job and without any prospects (I was too fick and common to go to University) and saw many friends leave decent jobs to end up almost on the scrap heap I cannot say I look back on her reign as being succesful, ok some did very very well but an awful lot (too many) didn't and this is the biggest problem. My parents however still love her and think she was the best thing since sliced bread, we don't agree on a lot me and my parents :)

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed May 17, 2006 12:36 pm

SO IF THATCHER HAD IT IN FOR THE WORKING CLASSES, WHY DO I GET SCREWED OVER 10 TIMES WORSE THESE DAYS
Sto ut Serviam

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Wed May 17, 2006 12:41 pm

He's not a liberal fanz. I really wish that hadn't become a derogatory term.
mofgimmers wrote:I can't be bothered reading all this yet... but I'll chuck me two penneth in anyway.

I don't like Thatcher because she's a Tory.

The End.
New Labour is a Thatcherite party. It's more Thatcherite than Thatcher would have dared to be in many cases, with the privatization and out-sourcing of core public services. In fact, its corporatist economic policy would have delighted Mussolini. Seriously! It is more right-wing in terms of foreign policy and domestic affairs than most Tory governments could dream of being. But which party do you still bleat about?

It's cool to hate Tories though right?
Last edited by 50sQuiff on Wed May 17, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Wed May 17, 2006 12:42 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:SO IF THATCHER HAD IT IN FOR THE WORKING CLASSES, WHY DO I GET SCREWED OVER 10 TIMES WORSE THESE DAYS
...progress?

Every gets screwed equally.

Just ask two shags........

fanz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by fanz » Wed May 17, 2006 12:46 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:SO IF THATCHER HAD IT IN FOR THE WORKING CLASSES, WHY DO I GET SCREWED OVER 10 TIMES WORSE THESE DAYS
Well said that man, success and entrepeneurism (spelling ?) are dirty words under Labour.

£1900 a year in council tax, give me the poll tax any day of the week.

david lee's bald patch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by david lee's bald patch » Wed May 17, 2006 1:12 pm

50sQuiff wrote:
david lee's bald patch wrote:Margaret Thatcher was a f*#kin arsehole.
Yuppie creating working class hating tw*t.

Only thing worse than her is wankas like you holding her up as the builder of modern prosperous Britain!! All Bollox, if Britain is doing alright it's in spite of her not because of her.
Yep I think without the tearing down of the control economy, privatization, de-regulation, the end of union militancy, encouragement of property ownership and reduction in direct taxation we could've built on the economic success of the 70s and now all live in a worker's paradise.

What planet are you on? Real wages have been rising for 20-odd years. The base level of the 'have-nots' has constantly risen and they're now more employed than ever. That's far more important than your class-hatred for the 'have's'.

The 80s must have been painful for many (my family included) and I can fully understand the bitterness. Nor has everything been a roaring success, not least privatisation. But the alternative would have really seen the country go to rack and ruin and you wouldn't be sat there running your own internet business or whatever the url in your signature refers to.
Say what you like - I appreciate change was necessary, but the way in which she cold heartedly followed her beleif's regardless of the unemployment queues is what still grates to this day. And the smarmy yes men she surrounded herself with makes my skin crawl. These are the reasons she will always be hated by many. All she was arsed about was keeping income tax lowand looking after the Yuppies.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed May 17, 2006 1:20 pm

fanz wrote:£1900 a year in council tax, give me the poll tax any day of the week.
Move to a cheaper house then. Preferably one that's about to get flooded to make way for a reservoir.

You obviously get your knowledge of politics from a ladybird book.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 17, 2006 1:24 pm

david lee's bald patch wrote:All she was arsed about was keeping income tax lowand looking after the Yuppies.
:conf:
What's wrong with low income tax? Sounds like a wonderful idea to me.
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 17, 2006 1:38 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
david lee's bald patch wrote:All she was arsed about was keeping income tax lowand looking after the Yuppies.
It seems to me you raise taxes to increase government spending on things like social programs. You lower taxes to encourage private investment to spur economic growth. Both approaches are necessary at different times. A good economy gets the balance right and you have greater prosperity combined with reasonable social equity. It has little to do with favouring yuppies.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

david lee's bald patch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by david lee's bald patch » Wed May 17, 2006 1:41 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
It seems to me you raise taxes to increase government spending on things like social programs. You lower taxes to encourage private investment to spur economic growth. Both approaches are necessary at different times. A good economy gets the balance right and you have greater prosperity combined with reasonable social equity. It has little to do with favouring yuppies.
It did under Thatcher

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 17, 2006 1:55 pm

david lee's bald patch wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
It did under Thatcher
I guess I can't argue with mantras. In the 1960s I had some capital and Harold Wilson's policies ruined me. Worse, Britain could not compete on world markets, the pound collapsed and you weren't allowed to take more than fifty quid out of the country. Did I dislike Harold? Yes! Did I think his policies assinine? Yes! Did I think he developed his policies to ruin me in favour of the working class? No, of course not! I imagine he would have liked a prosperous Britain, but he had no clue how to go about it. While I certainly wouldn't agree with all Thatcher's policies, she redressed the balance and made Britain competitive again.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 17, 2006 2:02 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:why do YOU hate Margaret Thatcher?
'Cos she got rid of free school milk and now all the best English footballers have got brittle bones.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 17, 2006 2:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
'Cos she got rid of free school milk and now all the best English footballers have got brittle bones.
That is actually something that never occured to me - could there be some correlation?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
That is actually something that never occured to me - could there be some correlation?
Me neither!!! :shock:

Excellent work Sutty. And there was me blaming all these metatarsal injuries on puffter boots!!!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Albert Tatlock's Dad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Albert Tatlock's Dad » Wed May 17, 2006 2:43 pm

fanz wrote:People like Tatlocks dad make me sick, I am not surprised by his stance on Thatcher he was probably in one of the industries which was culled for the benefit of the country. Then he call's anyone a Nazi who supports her, let me tell you something Tatlock if people like you had been running the country during the war we would be part of the German Empire now. You wooly Liberal idiot.

Margaret Thatcher is the srongest post war leader this country has seen, what I would give for her now instead of this American glove puppet we have in charge.
Well, I spent much of the 1980s outside of the country working in Hong Kong and Singapore for an management consultancy/accounting firm, so my background is in finance. I did very well out of the Thatcher years in many ways. I came back in 1988 to run the family business which we sold on in 2001. Hence I work part time as a consultant and the rest of the time I spend trying to reduce my golf handicap and having to listen to your tedious tirades.

Just because I was doing OK, it doesn't mean that I can't see the big picture and as far as I'm concerned, the big picture with Thatcher is a heavily negative one.