Drop Beckham as England captain?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Drop Beckham as England captain?

Post by chris » Wed May 24, 2006 10:08 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 010900.stm

I haven't been impressed by Beckham as captain recently, and felt he didn't take enough responsibility at Euro 04, and would personally like to see Gerrard with the armband.
If he doesn't impress well in Germany, he might lose it.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed May 24, 2006 10:24 am

First of all we have a World Cup forum now up and running:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewforum.php?f=18

Second, Beckham should never have been made captain IMO. He's not got the intelligence or team ethic required, preferring to be the centre of attention first and foremost. I think Peter Taylor (who gave him the job) and Sven were dazzled by his stardust.

I'd make Terry, Lampard or Gerrard captain, and allow Beckham free rein without having to boss the team around at the same time (the situation invites comparisions with Jay Jay not being quite the same player after Sam made him captain, and improving once he'd been stripped of the role).

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed May 24, 2006 1:31 pm

Terry or Gerrard.

true grit.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed May 24, 2006 1:32 pm

ratbert wrote:First of all we have a World Cup forum now up and running:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewforum.php?f=18

Second, Beckham should never have been made captain IMO. He's not got the intelligence or team ethic required, preferring to be the centre of attention first and foremost. I think Peter Taylor (who gave him the job) and Sven were dazzled by his stardust.

I'd make Terry, Lampard or Gerrard captain, and allow Beckham free rein without having to boss the team around at the same time (the situation invites comparisions with Jay Jay not being quite the same player after Sam made him captain, and improving once he'd been stripped of the role).
From what I have read, Beckham is a great 'behind the scenes' Captain, though he would be far from my first choice on the pitch. I think that job should be given to John Terry. I wouldn't give it to Gerrard for the World Cup simply because he may have enough responsiblity already should he be asked to play in the hole, rather then midfield.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 24, 2006 2:00 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Terry or Gerrard.

true grit.
I'd have John Terry leading them out any day of the week.
Not Gerrard. No way.

Personally I reckon Beckham is still up to the job; though I wonder if that'll be the first change that old gnome face will make once he is in charge after the Sven leaves.
Businesswoman of the year.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed May 24, 2006 2:17 pm

I think Beckham has been a decent Captain. I used to think it was Sol's armband next, but it might just be Terry now.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Wed May 24, 2006 2:30 pm

americantrotter wrote:I think Beckham has been a decent Captain.
Agreed.

And he should be, when the time is right, succeeded by John Terry.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 31, 2006 11:36 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:
americantrotter wrote:I think Beckham has been a decent Captain.
Agreed.

And he should be, when the time is right, succeeded by John Terry.
I like becks too, he seems yo be very popular and a good ambassador, I think gary neville also plays a massive role for england and is most probably the 'players captain' aswell as being the worlds best right back... I await your name calling and blind sighted hatred for the guy, but you cant deny hes world class

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:23 pm

umm.....I hope that's a little recreational :fishing: Neville is adequate and lucky there are no other decent RB's.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Don't rate Beckham as a captain. The obvious choice for me is Terry, inspirational on the pitch and that's what we need.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Gerrard - no way, diving dirty get.

Lampard - as an ambassodor yes, as a leader I'm not sure.

Terry - at the moment a strong candidate on the field still gets in to too much tabloid tittle-tattle off it.

Neville- has been by far the best and most consistent right back in England for some time. Unfortunately far too full of his own importance and over-estimates his own intelligence - see players' revolt.

Beckham has let the team down at times with his sendings off etc but let us not forget Greece. Possibly the most capatainly of performances for any team in the world in the last 50 years. "Captain Beckahm" also makes lots of money for him and the FA.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:07 pm

When England played Wales at OT last year I got to meet a small number of the England Team and David Beckham and (apart from being incredibly stunning to look at, and dripping in diamonds) was professional, dedicated, courteous and a credit to his captaincy. The Neville brothers were loud, obnoxious and a complete embarassement to be around.

For all his other faults, I don't think you can fault Beckham for his passion and commitment to his country topped of with an excellent display on Tuesday I don't see the need to change things at this stage.

(I'm ashamed to say I got a photo with Rio Ferdinand - it's just ridiculous it's like somthing out of Gulivers Travels)

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:39 pm

communistworkethic wrote: Beckham has let the team down at times with his sendings off etc but let us not forget Greece. Possibly the most capatainly of performances for any team in the world in the last 50 years. "Captain Beckham" also makes lots of money for him and the FA.

May be making this up, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that some of the sponsorship deals that the England team have are actually conditional on the Essex Red being captain.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:43 pm

Gertie wrote:When England played Wales at OT last year I got to meet a small number of the England Team and David Beckham and (apart from being incredibly stunning to look at, and dripping in diamonds) was professional, dedicated, courteous and a credit to his captaincy. The Neville brothers were loud, obnoxious and a complete embarassement to be around.

For all his other faults, I don't think you can fault Beckham for his passion and commitment to his country topped of with an excellent display on Tuesday I don't see the need to change things at this stage.

(I'm ashamed to say I got a photo with Rio Ferdinand - it's just ridiculous it's like somthing out of Gulivers Travels)
I still like Beckham as captain because he cares. I'm glad to hear that he was a decent representative for the team. I just dont see anybody who would make the change a necessity.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:40 pm

I think Terry is nailed on to be next line.

And yeah, i like Beckham as captain. And he was top notch on Tuesday.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:00 pm

I think people should stop wondering why Beckham is Captain, and start wondering why Owen is his automatic replacement when Beckham is Subbed/injured/sent off!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:31 pm

americantrotter wrote:umm.....I hope that's a little recreational :fishing: Neville is adequate and lucky there are no other decent RB's.
I wasnt fishing its a genuine opinion of mine, name a better right back in world football at the moment, in fact name a better right back over the past decade.. Hes quick, strong in the tackle and times his tackles perfectly, he gets forward well and supports play and his best attribute is his crossing ability third only to Becks and stevie G in the england squad. Hes a world class player in his position and is so underrated because everyone hates him with a passon (myself included)

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I think people should stop wondering why Beckham is Captain, and start wondering why Owen is his automatic replacement when Beckham is Subbed/injured/sent off!!
Often something I've wondered. Can't understand it myself.

I'd stick with Beckham being captain, especially during the World Cup, and when the time inevitably comes that he is no longer captain/England material, I'd have John Terry as captain with Gerrard as vice-captain. I've always liked the idea of a central midfielder as captain, as he probably has the best communication with the rest of the team, and thought it pretty pointless when the goalkeeper/striker gets to be captain.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:07 pm

Marshall wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I think people should stop wondering why Beckham is Captain, and start wondering why Owen is his automatic replacement when Beckham is Subbed/injured/sent off!!
Often something I've wondered. Can't understand it myself.

I'd stick with Beckham being captain, especially during the World Cup, and when the time inevitably comes that he is no longer captain/England material, I'd have John Terry as captain with Gerrard as vice-captain. I've always liked the idea of a central midfielder as captain, as he probably has the best communication with the rest of the team, and thought it pretty pointless when the goalkeeper/striker gets to be captain.
Don't forget McClaren and Beckham are close. He'd have to dress it up as "so you can concentrate on your game".

Like many, I'm leaning towards JT or Stevie G as skipper, but JT's place isn't rock-solid (he hasn't looked as impeccable for England as he does for his club - check that crazy half-arsed clearance that let Euell in for a shot) and he will be the same kind of chest-out leader whether he's got the armband or not.

As for the vice-captaincy of Owen, a quiet short-arse whose natural game is to play as high up the field as possible, that's a clear and shameful Erikssonism for "you're the second most famous player in the team".