What's in a name? Part Deux

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 29, 2006 4:52 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
durham_wanderer wrote:Mines so I look as if I go a decent uni, whereas really my names Mitch (apparantly)
No, DW, we know you are not Mich/Mitch - He comes from the Tees area from a poor university where they spell 'apparently' differently. :wink:
WOW were does that mean I come from then? :shock:
The University of Life I think - just like Mich, but a rather different life...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 29, 2006 5:07 pm

Well, it's like this .... I went (on another site) as The Knight who says"Ni!!", after one of the greatest charcters of British fim.

When I tried to register that here for some reason it wouldn't take ... so I had to think of another name. As, despite my interest in footy, I do like to always see the silly & bizarre side of thing. Hence "the clown" bit ... Bobo was just an add on.

THEN, I saw a real life Bobo-the-Clown performing at a local restaurant. Bastard.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bettyrasta
Promising
Promising

Post by bettyrasta » Mon May 29, 2006 5:30 pm

I am a melange of my pet cat and an elderly aunt backed up by wicked riddims inna Middlebrook stylee. Glad to clear that one up.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon May 29, 2006 5:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Well, it's like this .... I went (on another site) as The Knight who says"Ni!!", after one of the greatest charcters of British fim.

When I tried to register that here for some reason it wouldn't take ... so I had to think of another name. As, despite my interest in footy, I do like to always see the silly & bizarre side of thing. Hence "the clown" bit ... Bobo was just an add on.

THEN, I saw a real life Bobo-the-Clown performing at a local restaurant. Bastard.
Is that IT?
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 29, 2006 8:07 pm

In a restauarant in Nerja, southern Spain (sorry, Tango. No idea which one :( ), and whilst enthusiastically inebriated and amongst similarly intoxicated friends, I requested of our waiter "another bottle of Bruce Rioja". It's just one of those things that for some reason people have reminded me about over the years. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 29, 2006 11:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:In a restauarant in Nerja, southern Spain (sorry, Tango. No idea which one :( ), and whilst enthusiastically inebriated and amongst similarly intoxicated friends, I requested of our waiter "another bottle of Bruce Rioja". It's just one of those things that for some reason people have reminded me about over the years. :oops:
Thought you may just have gone for "SAN MIGUEL" :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue May 30, 2006 1:33 am

Mine's as prosaic as that of Faninoz. I live in Australia which is often referred to as 'Down Under'. My name is John. So, when working on some sort of user name I did the obvious (dropping the 'h').

I'd forgotten about the rather famous West Indian cricket wicket-keeper and, when the penny dropped, thought about changing it to Dijon but not being a tarty sort of bloke plumped for keeping the original. Anyway, figuring I'd made the best catch in the world when my wife accepted my proposal of marriage I reckoned it was a pretty good name.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 30, 2006 8:24 am

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Well, it's like this .... I went (on another site) as The Knight who says"Ni!!", after one of the greatest charcters of British fim.

Is that IT?
Well I'm sorry, what did you expect ? A frank admission that in a previous existance I was high-wire, water throwing performer, wearing oversized shoes & driving a car which regularly fell apart ??? Why would I let on about my shady past ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Tue May 30, 2006 11:32 am

FaninOz wrote:Obvious really, Bolton Fan in Australia (Oz).

A bit silly now that I come to think about it, but too late to change now.
Im sure the mods could change it for you, they did for Tango.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 30, 2006 11:39 am

Luna wrote:
FaninOz wrote:Obvious really, Bolton Fan in Australia (Oz).

A bit silly now that I come to think about it, but too late to change now.
Im sure the mods could change it for you, they did for Tango.
My previous life MEATPIEANDCHIPS, was a bit of a joke for a joke site, 606. I was invited here and came over. The name was too "Wiganish" and, since I've always been "The Dancer" on other foros, and FARNWORTH FLAMENCO DANCER was too long, I opted for my favourite dance. TANGODANCER was born. :roll:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonswede
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by boltonswede » Tue May 30, 2006 11:57 am

The 'swede' bit dates back to the days of playing heads'n'volleys on Turton Skoo carpark against the big green garage door(yea, whatever). Last goal always had to be a header so every time someone was on '1'; we all got excited and started shouting out things like " header or napper or barnet, bonnet, on my nut", etc etc. How a vegetable got in there i'm not quite sure, but it slipped out at work one day and i got it as a nickname.
Since then its followed me to Greece and now, Tel-Aviv. My wife calls me Swede and nothing else.
Thats it, not very exotic i know.........

And no Scandinavian connections either.........
Gerroff moi laaaaaaaaaaaaaand !!! Before i kick y'arses !!!!

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Tue May 30, 2006 12:28 pm

I got mine as I was reading a Charles De Lint book and there were Crows in it and the big boss man was Raven. Also Crows, Ravens, Jackdaws are cool

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue May 30, 2006 12:31 pm

Erm... not really sure.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue May 30, 2006 12:42 pm

I'm not a fan of Native Americans; Horses; General Custer; Seahorses or Insanity.

'twas the first name that came to me when I signed up to 606 many, many decades ago. It's based on an old childhood memory I have from a 'family day' that was held at the White Horse Inn in Little Lever many, many, many, many decades ago. The 'entertainment' was by some freaked out old hippie with a guitar singing songs about how he still hadn't recovered from a bad trip he had had in 1970 (I'm not so sure that he'd ever actually come down since 1970 but whatever). He was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

His name was CrazyHorse.

Legend has it that I nicked it for my football based forum username. The legend is true.
Businesswoman of the year.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue May 30, 2006 12:44 pm

blurred wrote:Erm... not really sure.
Your vision after a night on the lash?

As for me, just grabbed a favourite cartoon character at random:

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue May 30, 2006 12:51 pm

I live in Slough. :oops:

Slough is pronounced 'Sl-how' and not as many would normally expect 'Sl-uff' (as per en-ough, r-ough, t-ough, etc).

Hence - Sluffy

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 30, 2006 1:00 pm

Like Cowdrill I was another 'Jonny cum lately' :roll: so went for the first Bolton player to score a goal in the 4th division, and for some reason lost on me now, swapped the lead letters around.

If i'd gone for the scorer of the last ever goal in the 4th division I could now be called Sobbie Ravage.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue May 30, 2006 1:03 pm

ratbert wrote:
blurred wrote:Erm... not really sure.
Your vision after a night on the lash?
Well it does have that connotation, yes, as well as one of being generally indistinct (which I feel I carry off quite well).

Truth be known it's an homage to a band for whom I have an affection (or did when this 'ere internet thing started), and I've kept the name throughout fora and all sorts ever since...

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue May 30, 2006 1:03 pm

Some years ago, just after I started my IT consultancy, I bagged a contract at Prudential Insurance, writing an application to process £114 million worth of transactions. Scary stuff.

Ultimately, the project was a success, but there were a few hairy moments along the way, mainly due to the client continually changing the system requirements. One particularly irksome day I designed the splash screen (that’s the box that gets displayed while the system is loading.) It read:

Activity Based Costing

Written by a persistently confused programmer from a dodgy business spec, to produce an application as user friendly as a rampant, sex crazed warthog, with an attitude problem.

Needless to say, I forgot to replace this with something more sensible before I left.

The week after, I returned to the company to hand over the application to the support team and promised to replace the offending code.

“Oh no,” they said, “we like it.”

And so it remained. Since then, the imaginary warthog has been a sort of mascot. Says he as people in white coats lead him gently, but firmly away.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Tue May 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Yes but how did you know all that about Warthogs?