Enjoy it or endure it??

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Enjoy it or endure it??

Post by Gertie » Tue May 30, 2006 7:40 pm

Do you enjoy it or endure it?

Over the Bank Holiday weekend I was chatting to some pals about life and work (and cute boys) and two of them mentioned that they actually enjoyed their jobs.

They aren’t premiership footballers, new product testers for Cadburys, Personal Shoppers at Selfridges, just have kind of every day jobs in IT and recruitment.

It hadn’t occurred to me that people might enjoy their job I guess I can say that I don’t really like any aspect of mine, apart from the girls and boy that I work with are good fun.

I’ve set about trying to find a job that I can honestly say I enjoy but in the meantime am I on my own or are there other people out there who enjoy what they do for a living and don’t endure it with gritted teeth, tears and tantrums 5 days a week??

Any inspirational stories out there???

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue May 30, 2006 8:13 pm

I used to enjoy my job........silly me. Not so much anymore. Although I dont quite dread it like I used to when I was younger. Although maybe the fight is just gone? :whack:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue May 30, 2006 10:33 pm

Pretty much endure it. The perks (ie a reasonable salary and the ability to feck around all day on the internet, and suchlike) are alright I guess, but it's far from my dream job that's for sure (got knocked back from that a few months ago for a fella from Leeds... ah well, everything works out for a reason, eh?)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Enjoy it or endure it??

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 30, 2006 10:46 pm

Gertie wrote:They aren’t premiership footballers, new product testers for Cadburys, Personal Shoppers at Selfridges, just have kind of every day jobs in IT and recruitment.

It hadn’t occurred to me that people might enjoy their job
Really? I love what I do. Actually, Gertingtrude, you know very well that I and others do,. I get paid to travel around all over the place and talk to people. Just as well because I can't do anything else :( You wanna see my attempts at DIY! Actually, perhaps best that you don't. Or at least that you turn a blind eye to them! :oops:

I was playing in a golf comp last year and one of the guys that I ended up in the same four ball as was a Gin Taster in Warrington. "Magnificent" said I. "What a dream job you have". "Not on a Monday morning after an all dayer and four hours kip, it isn't", came the educated reply! :? Fair play, maybe the grass isn't always greener!
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Tue May 30, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Albert Tatlock's Dad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Enjoy it or endure it??

Post by Albert Tatlock's Dad » Tue May 30, 2006 11:14 pm

Gertie wrote:Do you enjoy it or endure it?

Over the Bank Holiday weekend I was chatting to some pals about life and work (and cute boys) and two of them mentioned that they actually enjoyed their jobs.

They aren’t premiership footballers, new product testers for Cadburys, Personal Shoppers at Selfridges, just have kind of every day jobs in IT and recruitment.

It hadn’t occurred to me that people might enjoy their job I guess I can say that I don’t really like any aspect of mine, apart from the girls and boy that I work with are good fun.

I’ve set about trying to find a job that I can honestly say I enjoy but in the meantime am I on my own or are there other people out there who enjoy what they do for a living and don’t endure it with gritted teeth, tears and tantrums 5 days a week??

Any inspirational stories out there???
I love being semi-retired. I spend a good few mornings per week on the golf course and do consultancy the rest of the time. I'm pretty flexible with my hours too. I normally do a month of working flat out followed by a couple of months off.

Sorry - but that's how it is.

When I was working full time for the family firm before we sold it off, I used to enjoy most days. We had a good bunch of people working there and we all knew exactly what we were doing.

Still, the best time I had was in Hong Kong in the mid-eighties. Saw most of the far east during that time which made the 12-14 hour days tolerable.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 am

I did three and a half years as a mobile security guard. Driving two hundred miles a night on seven x twelve hour shifts. Had bricks thrown at me, a drunken tramp threw a bottle of gin at me, hassle, dark places by torchlight and little work about the following week when you were supposed to be on days. This made you take more nights on just to make a living. I used to envy blokes going to Asda with their wives and living normal lives.

After that, any job is a doddle. Where I am now I have a lot of freedom, a job that's half physical/half technical and I get left to my own devices pretty much all the time. The pay ain't bad, I get five weeks a year holidays and a twice yearly bonus. I answer only to the MD and my office is away from the rat-run. We work five days, take all bank holidays and I never have to work weekends. Man, I sure as hell ain't complaining. To me, the other man's grass looks brown. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed May 31, 2006 1:03 am

Part of the pleasure of working, Gertie, comes from those with whom you work. On that level it seems you have top scores. Even a job you adore can sour if you are forced to work with someone who is, to put it crudely, a total arsehole. Been there, done that.

When considering changing jobs (or at least location) there is also the rather important bit relating to what you will be required to do in order to do that job successfully. Some jobs entail duties which, to some people, are pure drudgery. It is not always evident when looking in from the outside that these chores even exist. I found during my managerial career that, for instance, staff problems (including training) and logistics took a huge percentage of my time and thus left me with little left to work on the essential planning, research and development aspects of the business - which was the part of my job that I really enjoyed. For clarification purposes: I had 69 people - not a huge number - on my staff and four supervisors.

Don't give up though - just make sure that you know what you're up for before you make a final decision.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed May 31, 2006 7:30 am

S'ok I suppose. Depends on the day really, like today I just cant be arsed cos I had a few too many (again) and didnt get in while late and I got up at 6.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Wed May 31, 2006 8:41 am

At present, I'm in a fortunate position wher I love my job. To some, its not particularly dynamic or exciting, but you get to meet and work with some great people, people who have a particular vision. You're not always office based and get to go out to an all manner of different sites. Every project is different - different constraints, timings, objectives, people.....

Then again, I may still only be in the 'honeymoon' period. I started at a new company last August, having left my previous employment of 7 years. I wanted a new challenge and my present employer put something on the table that I just couldn't refuse and had to give it a go. 8 months on and my new employer has delivered everything they said they would, and things continue to go from strength to strength.

I always get paid a reasonable amount for what I do. Always a help that. :mrgreen:
Smarties have answers.....

Albert Tatlock's Dad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Albert Tatlock's Dad » Wed May 31, 2006 9:24 am

Bench wrote:At present, I'm in a fortunate position wher I love my job. To some, its not particularly dynamic or exciting, but you get to meet and work with some great people, people who have a particular vision. You're not always office based and get to go out to an all manner of different sites. Every project is different - different constraints, timings, objectives, people.....

Then again, I may still only be in the 'honeymoon' period. I started at a new company last August, having left my previous employment of 7 years. I wanted a new challenge and my present employer put something on the table that I just couldn't refuse and had to give it a go. 8 months on and my new employer has delivered everything they said they would, and things continue to go from strength to strength.

I always get paid a reasonable amount for what I do. Always a help that. :mrgreen:
At 8 months, I'd sugest that the honeymoon period is over. So, if you're still having a good time and enjoying it, you've fallen on your feet.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Wed May 31, 2006 9:25 am

I always thought that the honeymoon period was 12 months?

Least thats what the wife keeps telling me..... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 31, 2006 9:30 am

Bench wrote:I always thought that the honeymoon period was 12 months?

Well they can get rid of you for nowt for up to 12 months (simply by saying that you proved unsuitable) so I'd keep going with your head down for a wee while longer yet, Bencho!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Wed May 31, 2006 9:31 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bench wrote:I always thought that the honeymoon period was 12 months?

Well they can get rid of you for nowt for up to 12 months (simply by saying that you proved unsuitable) so I'd keep going with your head down for a wee while longer yet, Bencho!
Nope. Did a 3-month probation period. So fully employed and such like.....

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 31, 2006 9:33 am

For the most part I enjoy what I do. *winge alert* I mean, I must enjoy the work to put up with the 1 hour+ each way of traffic jams between Bury and Runcorn.

Work to my own schedules on ok money doing interesting work - currently programming a small glass containment delivery system for nuclear contaminated waste. 8)
Businesswoman of the year.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 am

I like working for myself..
As chief web designer, photographer, writer, marketting promotions director and receptionist / secretary and delivery driver.. I have no idea what a 40 hour week is.. haven't had three days off in a row since I set the business up in 2002 and can't stop smiling.. Fair enough the cash flow can be a worry and sometimes it rains but I've met 100's of new people, generally made them happier by giving them nice pics of whatever they wanted.. I've made some genuine new pals and I've never had to ask permission from some spotty graduate pillock who couldn't find his / her arse with both hands to do anything.. All the decisions are mine.. right and wrong.. I can not be sacked and nobody but me benefits from my hard work and commitment..
I don't drive a merc or have a swimming pool [never home to swim] but I have a degree of freedom the opportunity to be properly creative and occasionally a bit arty.. I can pretty much please meself where when and who I work for.. Still do contract work occasionally.. but now less for more money.. consulting have to love it..
Still want to write a novel and invent something before I snuff it.. but seldom stare out the window wishing I was somewhere else.... :mrgreen:
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed May 31, 2006 10:04 am

norm the jedi wrote:I like working for myself..
As chief web designer, photographer, writer, marketting promotions director and receptionist / secretary and delivery driver.. I have no idea what a 40 hour week is.. haven't had three days off in a row since I set the business up in 2002 and can't stop smiling.. Fair enough the cash flow can be a worry and sometimes it rains but I've met 100's of new people, generally made them happier by giving them nice pics of whatever they wanted.. I've made some genuine new pals and I've never had to ask permission from some spotty graduate pillock who couldn't find his / her arse with both hands to do anything.. All the decisions are mine.. right and wrong.. I can not be sacked and nobody but me benefits from my hard work and commitment..
I don't drive a merc or have a swimming pool [never home to swim] but I have a degree of freedom the opportunity to be properly creative and occasionally a bit arty.. I can pretty much please meself where when and who I work for.. Still do contract work occasionally.. but now less for more money.. consulting have to love it..
Still want to write a novel and invent something before I snuff it.. but seldom stare out the window wishing I was somewhere else.... :mrgreen:

well get on with it and invent an instant hangover cure cos im staring out the bloody window right now wishing I was in the pub.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Wed May 31, 2006 11:21 am

Moderation is the instant hang over remedy...
Prevention so much better than cure...
:D
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 31, 2006 11:25 am

I actually enjoy my job although all i do is tut and moan about it, I get to travel a lot and never get bored as its so different day to da so i think im one of the sadistic few who are actually content with their careers, although a pay rise wouldnt go a miss

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed May 31, 2006 11:54 am

enjoy my job and the people on my team are really cool but fork me the overall office atmosphere is a joke. Really bitchy atmosphere and all the women only care about who does their cleaning and stuff

we started a blog at work (see signature) which is a cross between a good old bitching session and some good old office anecdotes

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 31, 2006 12:38 pm

Definitely endure my job rather than enjoy it. I Used to enjoy it but not anymore. I know I should leave but the moneys good, the colleagues great and I'm well aware that there are lots of worse places I could be. Tangos description of life as a Security Guard makes me thankful for what I've got.

Only another 30 years to retirement :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"