golf

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

golf

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:30 pm

Right I've gotten the bug again after not playing for years, I'm no Tiger Woods but I'm not quite a hacker either.

Anyone else a golfer? Enough of us for a potential TW Open on Bolton Muni?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: golf

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:34 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Right I've gotten the bug again after not playing for years, I'm no Tiger Woods but I'm not quite a hacker either.

You can count me in for that, although I've no offical handicap these days. Used to play off 13/14.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:36 pm

Yeah I'm up for that, Commie. Like Tango, I've no official handicap, and like you I'm no TW, but no hacker either.

Great idea.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:37 pm

Started 12 months ago and just started playing again this year. Absolute bobbins at it but enjoy it nevertheless. I'd be up for a TW open as long as I can play off 28. Best ever round was 115 on Bolton Muni so I've a way to go yet!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:52 pm

Well I was lucky enough to play in spain this week on a work freebie and played Stableford pts for the first time - it's great for high handicappers, really levels the field as you don't get penalised for that hole you get 10 on!

Hmm TD I smell a Bandit!!
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:09 pm

Would love to, but too far to travel to Bolton. My house is in a golf resort backing onto the 15th Tee and I play regularly of 18 handicap. (used to be 15 but the game gets harder as you get older!)
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:12 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Well I was lucky enough to play in spain this week on a work freebie and played Stableford pts for the first time - it's great for high handicappers, really levels the field as you don't get penalised for that hole you get 10 on!

Hmm TD I smell a Bandit!!
I was always a mixture of brilliance and rubbish in equal doses. Hit a couple of amazing shots then five-putt. :mrgreen:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:42 pm

I'd be up for it too. No handicap (except my clubs) but able to just about break 100. The recent changes to the muni have improved it no end.

Some other good NW courses: Beacon Park (Wigan), Duxbury Park (Chorley) and Southport Muni... Hart Common is a toughie and Bolton Open a cow field!

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:05 pm

My handicap is that I'm crap at golf...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:24 pm

ratbert wrote:I'd be up for it too. No handicap (except my clubs) but able to just about break 100. The recent changes to the muni have improved it no end.

Some other good NW courses: Beacon Park (Wigan), Duxbury Park (Chorley) and Southport Muni... Hart Common is a toughie and Bolton Open a cow field!
Haigh Hall used to be Wigan's Municipal Course. Has that changed now?

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:26 pm

Never seen the point of whacking a small ball around some fields and walking for miles following it.

Each to thier own i suppose. :zzz:
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:33 pm

davroduk wrote:Never seen the point of whacking a small ball around some fields and walking for miles following it.

Think it was Mark Twain who said: "Golf is a good walk ruined". But then again, he must have tried it and proved a duffer. Just the sort of remark from someone who has never known the joy of middling a full blasted drive. Great sport.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:40 pm

davroduk wrote:Never seen the point of whacking a small ball around some fields and walking for miles following it.

Well, it's a competitive sport, a test of character and reasonable exercise but, most important, it can still be enjoyed by old geezers like me (who have stopped playing more physically demanding sports). I only took it up in my forties but I loveit still after all these years.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:52 pm

Too expensive a sport for me. Though I did somewhat enjoy the few rounds I played. I just cant get over the cost and some of the pricks that play.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:40 pm

Hold the event in Liverpool and I'd be up for it :D

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:56 pm

What a great idea!! If you are serious, then I will put in a day's leave for the event.

I love digging for gold...erm I mean Golf, and have never been beaten on the 19th hole :wink:

Plodder is having a little problem getting on site at the moment, but I'm sure you can count him in two. When were you thinking of holding it?
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:45 pm

I hack round Pennington Flash every few weeks in the summer but I'd not be able to get round a proper course.

I might run a book on this event though.

Mummywhycantieatcrayons installed at 1/4 favourite.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:54 pm

Athers wrote:I hack round Pennington Flash every few weeks in the summer but I'd not be able to get round a proper course.

I might run a book on this event though.

Mummywhycantieatcrayons installed at 1/4 favourite.
Oh yes, the soooo called pool king!! :roll:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:43 pm

i was quite good at golf, was a junior member at Davyhulme for a few years and played Ringway in Hale Barns a few times with my grandparents during that time. the lowest i ever went off was 16 aged about 17/18, then i left because i couldn't afford Adult fees.

Batman

Re: golf

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:17 am

communistworkethic wrote:Right I've gotten the bug again after not playing for years, I'm no Tiger Woods but I'm not quite a hacker either.

gotten?