Thank Christ! No Motson and Lawro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

Thank Christ! No Motson and Lawro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Batman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Stolen from Football365.com

Think that you have to listen to Motty and Lawrenson when you're watching BBC matches? Think again! It what must be the best piece of news this week (fingers crossed for Rooney tomorrow though), I've just read that if you've got digital TV, then you can choose your commentary for BBC matches! Apparently you can pick between the BBC TV or Radio 5 Live commentary, listen to the stadium noise (useful for if you hear a good abusive chant starting, but can't quite make out the words), or listen to foreign broadcasters!

I used to like John Motson, but recently have grown to hate the man, and that is in no small way thanks to Mark Lawrenson being beside him - I'm sure he brings him down. Anyway, I was dreading having to listen to them rattle on for 90 minutes, and this news has made my day. Imagine seeing Steven Gerrard breaking through the midfield, and you quickly switching over to the foreign (hopefully South American) commentator just as he slips the ball through to Michael Owen who skips past two defenders and plants one in the bottom corner. How much sweeter would it be to hear the cry of....

"GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!! GOAL GOAL GOAL GOOOOOOAAAL!!!!"

...rather than Motson just saying...

"Oh my, that was some strike by the England number 10. Mark, what do you make of it?"

"Well John, he hasn't scored for a while, so he was 'Owen' England a goal." (chuckles to himself smugly).

If only they could let you choose between pundits, then I could switch off Ian Wright at will

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:35 pm

I couldn't agree more. Lawenson's puns have got Richard Whitley spinning in his grave!! I'm not sure about the the commentator, but I would really like to see Hanson step up to the Lawenson (talking shite) Atkinson (talking shite, even before the racist comment) role.

It would be nice to listen to someone talking sence for a change during a match instead of after when he is given ten seconds before they have to cut to Sven..........talking shite!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:08 pm

You've been able to do that with bbc digital for ages.

I'm just glad they are showing matches on the internet, not bothered who I have to listen to.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:08 am

I believe that all Engerlund games are on UK Gold 2 with Peter Brackley commentating..
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Just thank your lucky stars you dont have ABC/ESPN. Mark Lawrenson could do baseball better with no warm up. They are clueless. :|

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:21 pm

Athers wrote:I believe that all Engerlund games are on UK Gold 2 with Peter Brackley commentating..
I've been told it's all BBC games not all Engerlund games.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:24 pm

Athers wrote:
Athers wrote:I believe that all Engerlund games are on UK Gold 2 with Peter Brackley commentating..
I've been told it's all BBC games not all Engerlund games.
That it is matey but we have to make do with Alan Green and that daft bird who knows nowt on 5live

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:13 pm

The thing that pisses me off about Motson is how often he gets things wrong, and how frequently he misses things. Christ, they even have that flag appear on the screen to show it's offside, and he'll still not call it. Too bothered about getting a "funny" in rather than commentating. And because he's a well-known name, he has no incentive to get things right. He gets all the best gigs just because of who he is - his lack of commentating ability appears to matter not one jot.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:42 pm

Winter Hill White wrote:The thing that pisses me off about Motson is how often he gets things wrong, and how frequently he misses things. Christ, they even have that flag appear on the screen to show it's offside, and he'll still not call it. Too bothered about getting a "funny" in rather than commentating. And because he's a well-known name, he has no incentive to get things right. He gets all the best gigs just because of who he is - his lack of commentating ability appears to matter not one jot.
Although he is a 'national treasure'

if only..... then we could bury him for the next hundred years

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:13 pm

Get this

ITV are running 'Nanzone'.

I will not explain this, it is the greatest commentary concept in the history of the world.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:16 pm

:shock:

AWESOME!

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 pm

americantrotter wrote:Just thank your lucky stars you dont have ABC/ESPN. Mark Lawrenson could do baseball better with no warm up. They are clueless. :|

You think Lawrenson has a clue???

I really have no idea how he gets a job, banal comments and you could not get a more boring voice, rather have that robot from Hitchhikers Guide do it

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:56 pm

I actually don't mind Lawrenson. Just for the entertainment value really, like when Alan Hansen will give an in-depth and often correct analysis of the game, and then Lawro will say something that makes him look like a tool.

Motson's got to go though, he can't even learn the player's names anymore. Steven Downing, anyone?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Marshall wrote:I actually don't mind Lawrenson. Just for the entertainment value really, like when Alan Hansen will give an in-depth and often correct analysis of the game, and then Lawro will say something that makes him look like a tool.

Motson's got to go though, he can't even learn the player's names anymore. Steven Downing, anyone?
Ian nolan!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:04 am

And isn't our Jamaican leftback called Mark Gardner too?
Businesswoman of the year.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:55 pm

I always thought it was Antony Gardner because the commentators couldn't see any further than Birmingham.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:34 pm

What happened to the 5Live commentary audio feed on digital? Up here we had a choice of Mottie and Lawro or a CBBC feed with a couple of eight year olds doescribing the game plus some sort of chaperon in case they said 'bum or 'poo' on live television. Needless to say the eight year olds won the day.