England Team for Sweden

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:36 pm

communistworkethic wrote:------------------James
Hargreaves---Carragher--Ferdinand---Bridge
-------Lennon---- Carrick -----Downing
-------------------Lampard----------
------------walcott-----Owen------------

why not give the fringe lads a game? Realisticly we only need a point to top the group, we should be solid enough not to concede and this line up should get goals.
SMACK ON THE MONEY!!

I'd love to see how Carragher takes to the centre role in an international tournament (God knows he can do it in his sleep at domestic)

Lennon for Beckham

Yep, why risk our most important and influential player so far, by playing him when it's not needed? Don't forget, should Gerrard or Lampard get injured, he is our only realistic creative centre midfielder.

Carrick for Gerrard

Why not? Should our main strikers get injured, or marked out the game, Carrick could give Lampard and
Gerrard thr free role to push forward at will (what a thought!!)

Lampard

People are saying the Garrard/Lampard thing isn't working at the moment. Well, in the last match Lampard did what he does best, only lacking the finishing. Gerrard did what he does best, a screecher from outside the box. Lampard should play in the hope that he can score. It would do him a world of good and boost his confidence. Plus as we already know, his match fitness is amongst the best in the world!

Owen

I've heard shite in my time on here, but to say Owen has been poor is just daft. In both games so far we have come up against teams that have given both strikers no room what so ever. Sven finally got it right in the second match by bringing on two wingers to spread the play out, giving the forwards more room. Believe me, Owen will become essential when we are playing teams that don't spent the whole game on their eighteen yard line! It was simply to cramped for Owen to move. The Swedes won't do this, and I believe Owen is seriously hungry to be set on his WC way. Remember, we are talking about the man who fxcked Germany on their home turf a few years ago, that maybe needed again!!

Walcott

What did he bring him for? If it wasn't to play at some point then it would be for the benefit of experience. Looking at the fitness of our strikers at the minute, he could well be needed. What better way to bleed him then in this game? Should he tap one home (even a three yard tap in) all the young lads fears would disappear, what is there to lose?
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: England Team for Sweden

Post by Marshall » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:12 am

daxter15 wrote:Owen is awful, Lampard's presence is restricting Gerrard, and FAT FRANK is overated. Gerrard is miles better. Lennon was brilliant and deserves his chance.

______________Robinson_______________

Beckham______Terry____Rio__________A.Cole

Lennon_______Gerrard____Hargreaves_____J.Cole

___________Rooney______Crouch______________
Beckham at right back?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (and so on)

So because Beckham played about 30 mins at right back against Trinidad and Tobago, and it wasn't even really at right back, we should play him there against a team of higher quality? And despite his assists, he was exposed there as we saw, with Glen (?) getting in behind him. England were mostly attacking for the last 1/2 hour, so it wasn't too much of a risk playing him there, but it makes little sense playing our captain out of position for an important game against Sweden. And lets not forget, our record against Sweden in recent times isn't much to shout about either.

If you were to play Hargreaves, which personally I don't see as a bad idea, I would play Lampard instead of Gerrard, as Gerrard has a yellow card, and I thought that Lampard was much better in the previous match, despite Gerrard's goal. Any other day of the year Lampard would have burried the chances he has on Thursday, but it wasn't to be on the day.

And Rooney starting against Sweden on Tuesday? To put it simply, no.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:21 am

Crouch, Lampard and Gerrard are all one one yellow card. Another one and they miss the first of the knockout stages.

Have any of you taken that into acccount?

Nope. Not one of you.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:15 am

warthog wrote:Crouch, Lampard and Gerrard are all one one yellow card. Another one and they miss the first of the knockout stages.

Nope. Not one of you.
Shame on you all.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:17 am

I think daxter has almost got it spot on. How on earth can plod and bench criticise him when they're playing Beckham in the centre :crazy: is beyond me.

I'd keep Beckham on the right wing, play Carragher at RB. This nonsense of Lennon starting is ridiculous, he is an impact sub. IMV you've got to have one of either Beckham or Lennon you can't have both. Beckham has proved that he is key in terms of crossing, Lennon may beat the man but he doesn't have the crossing ability. Let him strecth the game late on which would allow Beckham to measure the ball into the box like Thursday. Have the Hargreaves/Gerrard midfield axis and Joe Cole on the left. Crouch adds another dimension up front, keep him in and play him alongside Rooney who needs minutes.

This system leaves options on the bench too, with Lennon, Lampard and Owen to liven up the team if we're not creating.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:32 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
warthog wrote:Crouch, Lampard and Gerrard are all one one yellow card. Another one and they miss the first of the knockout stages.

Nope. Not one of you.
Shame on you all.
I did, but I buried it in another thread.

If I'd have thought on, I should have posted a full line-up, then I could have started a 'Where's Walcott' competition.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:36 am

Nope. Not one of you.
I'd forgotten Lampard was on a yellow, but remembered about Gerrard :D

If one of them was to be booked against Sweden, then am I right in thinking it'd be logical to take the 'other' player off ie. Crouch gets booked therefore take off Owen to prevent any injury, or Lampard gets booked so take Gerrard off to prevent Gerrard getting booked?

Cadburys Fingers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Cadburys Fingers » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:10 am

Because of the booking situation, the fact we only need a draw to win group.........and the fact Sweden are shite.....I would go as follows.

GK: Robinson
RB: Carragher
CB: Terry
CB: Ferdinand
LB: A Cole
RW: Lennon
MC: Carrick
MC: Beckham
LW: J Cole
FC: Rooney
FC: Owen
Who the hell is this ringing at half past ten.......

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:19 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Zulus! Thousands of 'em! wrote:I'm with Norm on this one!
Me too. I'm sure the fact that OH is Canadian and his parents from Bolton has nothing to do with my view. :oops:
Me too.

Watching him week in week makes me even more convinced.
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I think daxter has almost got it spot on. How on earth can plod and bench criticise him when they're playing Beckham in the centre :crazy: is beyond me.
Because I can. Beckham in the centre is nothing new. He has played there before and done a good job. I would argue that, as our Captain and most consistent performer, he is one of the players that shouldn't be dropped. Lampard, on the other hand, should as I feel he has contributed very little in his partnership with Gerrard, other than a fair few skyward shots with tournament. I think Lennon deserves a run on the right wing. Hence the swap.

If you're with dax in that Beckham is a shout for right back before Carragher, then you really should stop playing FM2006.
Smarties have answers.....

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:32 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
Bench wrote:
Hargreaves is shite.
Wrong ..... Wrong... Wrong.... Wrong... Wrong....

Unless regularly fulfilling the holding role for Bundesliga champions and Champs league regulars is SHITE..

He doesn't get picked because we don't generally employ a holding midfielder.. Until we are ahead late in the game and then we use him to screen the back 4 which he generally does OK.. unspectacular.. but OK..
Sorry, Norm. I forget that I must be in explicit in everything that I post. :roll:

Hargreaves is not shite. That was an exaggeration to prove a point. He is, obviously, a fairly accomplished player as his continual selection for Bayern Munich is a testament to. However, I do not think he is good enough for a starting England place, in the same manner that Nolan isn't (and who isn't even in the squad).

Marcus Bent is the highest English scoring player in the Prem which is home to some of the tighest and most experienced defences in Europe. Not picked. Must be shite then, eh? :roll:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:07 pm

Bench wrote:Marcus Bent is the highest English scoring player in the Prem which is home to some of the tighest and most experienced defences in Europe. Not picked. Must be shite then, eh? :roll:
Darren.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:24 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Bench wrote:Marcus Bent is the highest English scoring player in the Prem which is home to some of the tighest and most experienced defences in Europe. Not picked. Must be shite then, eh? :roll:
Darren.
Yeah, him too..... :oops:

surrey_white
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by surrey_white » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Team will be

Robinson

Carra Terry Rio Cole

Beckham Carrick Joey Cole

Lampard

Owen Rooney

Crocuh and Gerrard on yellows, i reckon he'll risk Lampard
No chance Beckham will be dropped as Sven loves him to much!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:58 pm

----------------------Robinson------------------------------
--Carragher---Terry--------Campbell----------Cole-----
--------------Carrick----------Beckham-------------------
--Lennon------------------------------------Walcott-------
---------------Owen---------Rooney----------------------

Walcott is on the wing, to use his pace, while not exposing his lack of experience by playing him down the middle. Kinda like Vaz Te.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:26 am

Bench wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:I think daxter has almost got it spot on. How on earth can plod and bench criticise him when they're playing Beckham in the centre :crazy: is beyond me.
Because I can. Beckham in the centre is nothing new. He has played there before and done a good job. I would argue that, as our Captain and most consistent performer, he is one of the players that shouldn't be dropped. Lampard, on the other hand, should as I feel he has contributed very little in his partnership with Gerrard, other than a fair few skyward shots with tournament. I think Lennon deserves a run on the right wing. Hence the swap.

If you're with dax in that Beckham is a shout for right back before Carragher, then you really should stop playing FM2006.
Whenever Beckham has played in the centre he takes away his main strenght his crossing, it completely negates the threat from his crosses. It also negates the strengths of his fellow central midfielder because he consistently is looking for the wide men. When he played the holding role against NI, he played well but the rest of the team didn't, the balance wasn't right, Lampard and Gerrard hardly touched the ball in that game. To play Beckham in the centre to simply accomodate Lennon seems absurd, why oh why not play the best players in their best positions? Thats why I think your selection of Beckham in the centre of the park is as crazy as daxters on playing Beckham at RB. I suggest you need to take up your favourite football manager sim to learn the ropes.

IMV Beckham is the best right winger, I agreed with daxter on the Hargreaves and Crouch selections, not on Beckham at RB. I suggest you read my post again.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:29 am

Dr.Karl wrote:
Bench wrote:

Whenever Beckham has played in the centre he takes away his main strenght his crossing, it completely negates the threat from his crosses. It also negates the strengths of his fellow central midfielder because he consistently is looking for the wide men. When he played the holding role against NI, he played well but the rest of the team didn't, the balance wasn't right, Lampard and Gerrard hardly touched the ball in that game. To play Beckham in the centre to simply accomodate Lennon seems absurd, why oh why not play the best players in their best positions? Thats why I think your selection of Beckham in the centre of the park is as crazy as daxters on playing Beckham at RB. I suggest you need to take up your favourite football manager sim to learn the ropes.

IMV Beckham is the best right winger, I agreed with daxter on the Hargreaves and Crouch selections, not on Beckham at RB. I suggest you read my post again.
That lats bit I agree with. I was only advocating playing Lennon for the Sweden game as nothing is riding on it apart from the potential suspensions of our yellow-carded players and injury. Hence my selection of Beckham in the middle. I never once said that he should play there the whole tournament.

So ner.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:45 pm

Think we shouldn't take Sweden lightly. Okay, rest a couple of players where we have some depth, but I'm for the Beckham at right back behind Lennon, who proved my "wingers are good" theory. Too much of our game is based on the direct route and a lot of the better sides operate with winger policies. Ashley Cole gets forward a lot but then Joe Cole ignores him and tries to work it into the box, good when it comes off, but all too often leaving Cole stranded when it doesn't.

Better we top the group and avoid the Germans at this stage and a convincing win would be a great confidence booster at this stage. Big problem now is that every game is the final and nothing less than a win is acceptable. I say put the strongest lot out and show our mettle. There are no bad teams going to be left after the next round of games. After that it's win or go home and everybody knows it. Can't understand the Crouch knockers, he's been great for me and Owen would have to go first in our strongest eleven. Owen's lack of height is a big factor and he ain't exactly on fire at the moment. Rooney in his role has to be tried as a first choice. Let Gerard have a free role behind Crouch and Rooney and keep Joe Cole out left. Main thing is keep hold of the ball and don't sit back and let the opposition come at us. Do that against Brazil, Spain or Argentina
and we'll be on the plane home. Nothing less the 100% is acceptable now. The three lions have to roar, starting Tuesday night.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

white blood
Promising
Promising

Post by white blood » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:26 pm

So we only need a draw, but this is the world cup, we want to see our best possible 11 play every game. We cant take Sweden for granted, and its no time to be experimenting with the fringe players & putting players out of position. we need to establish a team and get them gelling together for the later stages.
This team picks itself; neville still injured so Cara in again at RB, Rio, terry, cole.
Beckham, captain fantastic, always consistent. Lampard as we can afford to lose him in the next game, Hargreaves, straight swap for gerrard, best man for the job, i like him, he got too much harsh criticism after one bad sub appearance. and Joe Cole who has emerged as our star player behind Rooney in recent times. Rooney and Owen both need 90 mins under their belts to improve their sharpness for the next rounds (there are no better strikers in the world than them two when both fully fit and on form IMO!)
unless we have injuries, apart from SG for OH, I cant see there being any changes to this starting 11 for the rest of the tournament. not even neville for Cara!

____________Robo_____________

Cara____Rio______Terry_____Cole

Becks___Hargreaves___Lamps___Cole

________Rooney___Owen_______

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:58 pm

white blood wrote: unless we have injuries, apart from SG for OH, I cant see there being any changes to this starting 11 for the rest of the tournament. not even neville for Cara!

____________Robo_____________

Cara____Rio______Terry_____Cole

Becks___Hargreaves___Lamps___Cole

________Rooney___Owen_______
I think I pretty much agree with this line-up, except I'd play Carrick instead of Hargreaves, and Walcott instead of Rooney.

I'd play Carrick simply because I've seen him play and know what a good midfielder he is. Hargreaves is still an enigma to most England fans; we've simply been told that he's a good midfielder without ever seeing it.

I know Rooney has special 'wolverine' healing abilities, but I can't see why we'd chance starting with him. If there is even a 1% chance of him breaking down with a re-occurrence of the injury, then don't start him.

What the f##k is Theo doing in the squad if he's not available for selection when we are desperately short of forward options? Surely the game against Sweden is exactly why he was brought to the world cup.

One thing that I do know, if Darren Bent had been selected for the world cup and the situation was the same (i.e. Owen low on confidence, Crouch on a yellow card, Rooney not fully fit), then he would have definitely started against Sweden... No doubt.