England Team for Sweden

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:28 pm

Backgammon wrote:One thing that I do know, if Darren Bent had been selected for the world cup and the situation was the same (i.e. Owen low on confidence, Crouch on a yellow card, Rooney not fully fit), then he would have definitely started against Sweden... No doubt.
If that's true - and I'm inclined to agree that given the scenario we're in then the 4th choice striker would play against Sweden - surely that means that Walcott should be starting instead?
Businesswoman of the year.

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:26 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Backgammon wrote:One thing that I do know, if Darren Bent had been selected for the world cup and the situation was the same (i.e. Owen low on confidence, Crouch on a yellow card, Rooney not fully fit), then he would have definitely started against Sweden... No doubt.
If that's true - and I'm inclined to agree that given the scenario we're in then the 4th choice striker would play against Sweden - surely that means that Walcott should be starting instead?
Exactly.... The fourth striker is need for games like this, so thanks to Sven, step forward Theo Walcott..

What annoys me is that the idea of Theo starting doesn't seem to have even been considered; like it's a taboo subject, or such a preposterous suggestion that it's not even considered.

It could have been different:

Press: 'Because of the situation with the three England forwards, will Darren Bent start the game against Sweden?'

Sven: 'Well yeees, For sure. He has a great goal scoring record this season we need an extra attacker for this game.'

Instead we have:

Press: 'Because of the situation with the three England forwards, will Walcott start the game against Sweden?'

Sven: 'Errrr no, for sure... Don't be stupid. He's just a boy, he's not ready for this. I'm not even considering him for any games, in fact it would be better to think that we have a squad of 21 rather than 22.'

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:00 pm

Well, due to circumstance the team seems almost to have picked itself. If we scramble a win, at any cost, what do you see as a team against Ecuador? They play a typical South American style game and we are into sudden death land. How do you see us combatting this style of play? The defences are always good and we will be man marked out of sight by them. I can't see Owen as the answer here somehow. Can Crouch unlock them in the air? Views?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:06 pm

Sven will revert back to normal TD, with Rooney replacing Crouch and if he's fit, Neville replacing Carragher. I believe that Owen and Rooney could find a way bast Ecuador's bully boys. If not, Crouchamania will be thrown on to run wild in the last 20 minutes.

Tonight's focal point, for me, is Fat Frank. He has no excuse to not perform well tonight. He'll have Tobias Linderoth marking him, and a player of Lampard's ability should see him off no problems. Gerrard isn't in the team, Hargreaves naturally sits deep.

Prove your worth, Lumplard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Well, due to circumstance the team seems almost to have picked itself. If we scramble a win, at any cost, what do you see as a team against Ecuador?
Why are you assuming Germany will beat Ecuador, Tango?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Well, due to circumstance the team seems almost to have picked itself. If we scramble a win, at any cost, what do you see as a team against Ecuador?
Bet on it. They won't want England next round and, unless we lose they'll want to be top of the group. If we should lose, ...well, we'll see won't we? :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bet on it. They won't want England next round and, unless we lose they'll want to be top of the group. If we should lose, ...well, we'll see won't we? :mrgreen:
Actually I did bet on it (1-0), TD and on England 2-1 today. Unfortunately I bet earlier on those useless underperforming Poles under the mistaken impression that they could play footie.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:20 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 853270.stm

Ecuador don't look to be taking this too seriously.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:23 pm

well let's face it, playing us at the moment would hardly put the fear of God in them, would it?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

white blood
Promising
Promising

Post by white blood » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:17 am

Well my team selection was spot on, well for the first 55 seconds anyway!
i am pleased by my selection of Owen Hargreaves, i think he had a quality game, should have proved his critics wrong, man of the match if it wasn't for Joe Cole! just wonder now if he will start again in a 4-5-1, or will Crouch get the nod?