June 18th: Japan vs Croatia, Brazil vs Aus, France vs SK

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

June 18th: Japan vs Croatia, Brazil vs Aus, France vs SK

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:38 pm

General posts about today's games in 'ere.

It's not exactly an electrifying game, partly due to the heat, but I'm enjoying Japan vs Croatia as I have most games so far. Namely because all the players are so technically adept, equally matched and playing fluid football.

Superb penalty save from the Japanese keeper - how often do you see that pen go undernearth the keepers outstretched arm?

Japan are a couple of imposing forwards away from being an excellent side. Nakata and Nakamura have been absolutely superb again. The passing and vision of the former and movement of the latter makes for some fine midfield play. Unfortunately I'll have to side with David Pleat and agree that they are too lightweight up front to take advantage of such a good midfield. They have missed some chances though. Come on Japan!

The distinctly homo erotic references throughout David Pleat's commentary also provides some entertainment.

On to Brazil, how are they going to perform today if they play their equivalent of Ricketts and Heskey up front? I'm hoping for an early Australian goal so they're actually forced to come out and play.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:52 pm

Enjoyed the Japan v Croatia game, even though it was goalless. Nakata looked pretty good and committed the best foul of the tournament so far where he pulled someone down and then landed on him WWF style.

Just seen an interview where a fan was asked what the problem with Ronaldo is.

"He's fat," came the reply.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:40 pm

warthog wrote:Enjoyed the Japan v Croatia game, even though it was goalless. Nakata looked pretty good and committed the best foul of the tournament so far where he pulled someone down and then landed on him WWF style.

Just seen an interview where a fan was asked what the problem with Ronaldo is.

"He's fat," came the reply.

Ahhhh the debate killler!! :D
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:55 pm

How unlucky were the Aussies? They played so well against Brazil, never stopped fighting and if only they'd put away their chances what a different story it could have been. Brazil were Brazil, capable of sheer magic at times and in Kaka they have a real dangerman. Ronaldhino was, as usual, all over the park and they can so easily turn defence into attack with just one pass. That said, credit to the Socceroos for a great fighting performance. They can still get there. Ironically, they were killed off by a Brazilian called Fred. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: in Kaka they have a real dangerman.
He missed agoal in extra time that a geriatric Tango Dancer could have scored. I'm kind of mad becuase I had Brazil down for 3-0 in the pool plus I get points for each goal they score. Should have picked the Argies for that. :cry:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:10 pm

Australia were excellent, really impressive. I'll still be praying for Japan to go through with Brazil, though. Afterall, the Aussies do have two Blackburn players.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:06 pm

France blow it against South Korea after looking so comfortable. Full marks to SK for sticking to the task though and their fans were fantastic.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:51 pm

warthog wrote:France blow it against South Korea after looking so comfortable. Full marks to SK for sticking to the task though and their fans were fantastic.
Got to agree about the Korean fans. They are like a breath of fresh air. One of the songs is quite catchy as well. :oops:

How bad has Zidane become in the last two seasons I'm not surprised he is hanging his boots up. He has completely lost it and he is still only 33. The legs have gone, his passing is hit and miss and he seemed to be blaming everyone else for France's inadequacies.

Probably the best player of his generation but it is sadly time to say goodbye ZZ.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:59 pm

Australia were unlucky, and I fancy them to go through in second.

Brazil not at their best, though brilliant move by Ronaldinho, when he flicked it behind his left leg with his right foot to the player (Carlos?) running behind him to cross.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:32 pm

I didn't watch the game (it started around 2:00am here) but after wandering around the traps I understand that Australia's finishing was woeful, though Brazil too missed chances. While I didn't expect the Aussies to win I'm disappointed that they didn't manage to grab at least one goal. Then again I'm happy that they put up a decent performance even if Brazil was playing below par.

A draw against Croatia will get them through the group. I hope they don't sit back and play for one.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:05 am

That was a shame about the botched goal-line decision, looked over the line for me. Strong argument for the use of that in-ball technology that alerts the ref when it goes over the line. Also, I thought Korea's goal was weak, Thuram should have been able to clear off the line.

Great commentary from two American players today:

Eric Wynalda: "Where was Ronaldo today man?"

Alexei Lalas: "Ugh, that's the last time I defend that bloated waste of space . . ."

kevopey
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kevopey » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:14 am

Brazil 24 Australia 9 free kicks that is , seeing that it was only 2-0 in goals & Kewell missed a sitter , i thought they dint do to bad , the aussies that is ,,

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:14 pm

kevopey wrote:Brazil 24 Australia 9 free kicks that is , seeing that it was only 2-0 in goals & Kewell missed a sitter , i thought they dint do to bad , the aussies that is ,,
As a result of which Kewell may be suspended having made some pithy downunder comments to the ref.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.