England - Ecuador

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

England - Ecuador

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:49 pm

The smart money seems to be on the following line up for Sunday

Robinson

Hargreaves Ferdinand Terry Cole

Beckham Gerrard Carrick Lampard Cole

Rooney

Is this a case of necessity being the mother of invention, or has Sven finally slackened his nuts off a bit?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:01 am

Given the defensive nature of most South Americans, I think a lone striker is a mistake. Sure we have to defend, but sending hopeful balls down the middle, particularly without Crouch's height, seems like asking for trouble. This is what it looks like we are doing. We have to get men in the box and I'd sooner see 442 with Crouch and Rooney forward. If our defence aren't good enough now, they'll never be. I'd also like to see us get some width with Lennon or Walcott. Another injury and we'll be picking the team with a pin if we just rely on one eleven, a predictable one at that. Just my opinion.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:22 am

He picks the team that the papers tell him to.

The man is an arse.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:37 am

Batman wrote:He picks the team that the papers tell him to.

The man is an arse.
After Bruce Arena's "performance" in the World Cup I think it can safely be said there are worse ways to build a team. Such as playing a bunch of guys out of position in a formation that you've never used before.

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: England - Ecuador

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:27 am

Little Green Man wrote:
Robinson

Rooney
Yeh this is quoted on the BBC - Hooorrraayyyyy - " I can only pass BACK " Carragher is dropped :D
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:20 am

Batman wrote:He picks the team that the papers tell him to.

The man is an arse.
It's arguably the right team, but we're in a bloody World Cup knockout faze with a lineup and formation we're unfamiliar with. It's laughable.

Our flat 4-4-2 is so outdated in the modern international game, T&T almost made a mockery of us with their tactical superiority. Given a choice between a diamond 4-4-2 and 4-3-3, it depends on the personnel. Maybe we would know if Sven had tested this extensively during the last two years?
Last edited by 50sQuiff on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:26 am

Little Green Man wrote:The smart money seems to be on the following line up for Sunday

Robinson

Rooney

Is this a case of necessity being the mother of invention, or has Sven finally slackened his nuts off a bit?
What's happened to Lennon? I would have him in the lineup instead of Carrick.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:45 pm

Every time.

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:33 pm

Good job we won the group and didn't get the Germans then, isn't it?

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:59 pm

Slight aside, I know, BUT I know someone who sold corporate tickets (5) for 2000 Euros....EACH.

He's scum.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:02 pm

Hoolio wrote:Slight aside, I know, BUT I know someone who sold corporate tickets (5) for 2000 Euros....EACH.

He's scum.
Sounds like he undersold to me. :conf:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:05 pm

Nope. He reckons touts are only asking for 750-1000 for normal match tickets. He thought the free food and beer justified a price double that. Whats worse, is he's never been to an England game in his life. Won the tickets through work. The lucky git.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Hoolio wrote:Nope. He reckons touts are only asking for 750-1000 for normal match tickets. He thought the free food and beer justified a price double that. Whats worse, is he's never been to an England game in his life. Won the tickets through work. The lucky git.
Well, good luck to him.

I'd have kept a pair and sold three to pay for a great trip though.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:19 pm

Hoolio wrote:Nope. He reckons touts are only asking for 750-1000 for normal match tickets. He thought the free food and beer justified a price double that. Whats worse, is he's never been to an England game in his life. Won the tickets through work. The lucky git.
Going rate for any ticket - other than the final - in Frankfurt at about 7pm this evening is around €600

Somebody is willing to pay that price but not me.
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:44 am

Hoolio wrote:Slight aside, I know, BUT I know someone who sold corporate tickets (5) for 2000 Euros....EACH.

He's scum.

He isn't scum.

Scum is a word to describe murderers or rapists. This person is just a cock.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:29 am

Batman wrote:

He's scum.

He isn't scum.

Scum is a word to describe murderers or rapists. This person is just a cock.
Come on Batty, don't let common sense get in the way of irrational hatred. England are playing today!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:57 am

Time to put negativity aside and get behind our team. FLY THE FLAG.

"COME ON ENGLAND"

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:32 pm

Sven's team selection is such a joke that it is nto even funny. Playing the overated Carrick in the holding role is a big mistake, he doesn't possess the tackling and energy levels of Hargreaves who had a great game against Sweden. Very odd to move our best central midfielder form the last game to right back. Playing Rooney up front on his own is also a disgrace, first off Rooney is better as a second striker, dropping off, nto leading an attack and added to the fact that he is not 100 % match fit it is a disgrace.

I don't know what Aron Lennon has to do to get in the side, Sven will never drop his lover Beckham though. And as much as i dont really like Crouch, he is our only striker to have scored at this world cup, what the hell has he done to get dropped.

We may well win today, but i hope it doesn't paper over the cracks, because i fear if we come up against Holland or portugal in the quaters, we will get embarrassed.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Time to put negativity aside and get behind our team. FLY THE FLAG.

"COME ON ENGLAND"

erm :oops:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:40 pm

Little Green Man wrote:Robinson
Rooney
Seems like Sven is willing to offer too much respect after seeing us concede two sloppy goals in our last group game against Sweden.

I'm still not sure that Carrick is the man for the job and having being untested at international level it seems a little presumptuous to expect him to be able to do the part today. I just hope he can allow Gerrard and Lampard the freedom to play their own games rather than struggle to compete with one another.

I hope this 'throw people in at the deep end' isn't getting to be a common theme with Eriksson, heck even if we were to get to the final at this rate I could see the manager dropping Walcott in there.