Credit where it's due....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Credit where it's due....

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm no advocate of irresponsible drinking, but this has to go down as a good effort worthy of our flag:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objecti ... _page.html
The Mirror wrote:28 June 2006
BEER WE GO
Germans fear weii going to drink them dry
By Jeremy Armstrong
ENGLAND's massive army of World Cup fans is drinking Germany dry, it emerged yesterday.

Breweries warned beer could run out before the final because of huge demand from our supporters.

In Nuremberg, organisers revealed 70,000 England fans who flooded the city drank 1.2MILLION pints of beer - an average of 17 pints each.

Astonished bar keeper Herrmann Murr said: "Never have I seen so many drink so much in such little time."

His bar at a fans' tent in the city ran out after they drained all 32 of his 50-litre (11 gallon) barrels.

Herr Murr calculated Britons were shifting beer at a staggering rate of 200 pints per minute.

City official Peter Murrmann said: "The English proved themselves world champs. They practically drank us dry."

In Cologne, where England drew with Sweden, bottles and barrels of the local K?lsch beer ran out because so many English took them to campsites and parties.

Stuttgart bar chiefs said an extra 900,000 pints were sunk last weekend where 60,000 fans partied before and after our 1-0 win over Ecuador.

The Veltins brewery also revealed it has produced a record 418,000 gallons in a bid to keep up with demand.

A spokesman said: "It is incredible how much is being drunk but the hardest thing for the breweries is keeping up with the thirst of the English."

In Dortmund, where most fans for England's Gelsenkirchen clash against Portugal on Saturday are staying, the giant DAB brewery is bracing itself by ferrying in extra supplies to boost production.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:34 pm

:D :shock: :pissed: I dont know if I should be proud or ashamed. I'll go with my gut instinct. Pride. :D

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:38 pm

americantrotter wrote::D :shock: :pissed: I dont know if I should be proud or ashamed. I'll go with my gut instinct. Pride. :D
Only 17 pints each, thats disgraceful. I'm hoping they hit the 20 mark at the weekend as it probably means we've won.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:47 pm

wovlad wrote:
americantrotter wrote::D :shock: :pissed: I dont know if I should be proud or ashamed. I'll go with my gut instinct. Pride. :D
Only 17 pints each, thats disgraceful. I'm hoping they hit the 20 mark at the weekend as it probably means we've won.
Have you had a pint of proper German beer. It's not even a pint glass and half of it is froth. By the end you will have had a quarter of a pint of beer!!

The Germans will be amazed because they are very serious about their beer, and take a loooong time drinking it.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:52 pm

wovlad wrote:
Don't forget that's an average including the non-beer drinkers. There are probably some pretty impressive individual totals.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:12 pm

I know what my gut instinct would be if I drank that much.

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Kebab?

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:15 pm

I had 1 or 12 pints after the T&T match. No breakfast or lunch either. Was in bed by 10. :D

My gut instinct was pizza!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:20 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:
Kebab?
No, a chunder blunder.

Little green men aren't physiologically cut out for heavy German lager sessions, particularly if it's hefeweizen. That's why Mars is a dry planet.

white blood
Promising
Promising

Post by white blood » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
wovlad wrote:
Don't forget that's an average including the non-beer drinkers. There are probably some pretty impressive individual totals.
Non beer drinkers? at football?? what would be the point of that??? i saw a game sober once, it was rubbish!

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:58 pm

white blood wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
wovlad wrote:
Non beer drinkers? at football?? what would be the point of that??? i saw a game sober once, it was rubbish!
There yo ugo fanz, the answer to all your BWFC problems :mrgreen:

Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:59 pm

white blood wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
wovlad wrote:
There you go fanz, the answer to all your BWFC problems :mrgreen:
(tongue in cheek before anyone kicks off :wink: )

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:28 pm

white blood wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
wovlad wrote:
People who prefer wine, schnaps or some other tipple - you can lose your sobriety a lot quicker with some of those, WB, and really enjoy the game.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:47 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
white blood wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
wovlad wrote:
People who prefer wine, schnaps or some other tipple - you can lose your sobriety a lot quicker with some of those, WB, and really enjoy the game.
Wine? at Football??? :shock:

You'll be suggesting they swap the pies for Lark's Tongues and Otter's Noses, next!!!

Heratic!!!!!
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

fanz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by fanz » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:49 am

white blood wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
wovlad wrote:
There yo ugo fanz, the answer to all your BWFC problems :mrgreen:
Totally agree SOTW, I got leathered watching one game last season (City away) and it made me forget how appalling we were during the game and we got a 93rd minute penalty :D

Joking aside though I think the link between football and getting bladdered is pretty shameful but then the whole drinking culture in this country is an embarrasment. I can't understand why people can't watch a game on a Saturday afternoon without a beer? For me there is nothing worse than seeing dad and lad at a match when the dad is using it as an excuse to throw as many pints down his neck as he can, how can that be a good introduction to the matchday experience for any kid?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:06 am

fanz wrote:Joking aside though I think the link between football and getting bladdered is pretty shameful but then the whole drinking culture in this country is an embarrasment. I can't understand why people can't watch a game on a Saturday afternoon without a beer? For me there is nothing worse than seeing dad and lad at a match when the dad is using it as an excuse to throw as many pints down his neck as he can, how can that be a good introduction to the matchday experience for any kid?
Good point, though I think it's more a reflection on the state of certain fathers in society as opposed to the state of footballing fathers if you know what I mean.
Businesswoman of the year.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Wasn't there problems on Friday night in Stuggart with England fans involved? All of it drink related. I really do think its shameful that tabloid newspapers report that the amount of beer drank is commended and then to report all the troubles of it, hypocrisy of the worst order.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:21 am

Dr.Karl wrote:Wasn't there problems on Friday night in Stuggart with England fans involved? All of it drink related. I really do think its shameful that tabloid newspapers report that the amount of beer drank is commended and then to report all the troubles of it, hypocrisy of the worst order.
If by 'drink related' you mean 'Germans lobbing chairs at England fans because of songs about the war' then yes. All the news pictures clearly showed the Germans kicking off at the England fans, but that didn't stop the media blaming English supporters...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:31 am

When I was in Frankfurt it was the Polish chaps that were looking for a scrap with the English.

17 pints apiece? Pah, I supped more boiling tar! :mrgreen:
May the bridges I burn light your way

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:43 am

The french drink while they're buying bread, the Germans have beer at breakfast, the dutch serve beer in mcdonalds, the polish make a spirit you can run cars on and the russians pickle themselves in vodka. So the English drink a lot, so do lots of nations.

Alcohol itself is not the issue, why is drinking 5 pints before a game such a bad example to a kid? It needs to be placed in context. Smoking 20 a day, being 4 stone overweight and doing no exercise are worse examples.

Alcohol is only an issue when it is linked to violence. The 100s of thousands of English fans have drunk millions of pints, the result? Very little trouble until the two sets of fans everybody expected to cause touble appeared - the Germans and the Polish, neither nation having taken any action to look at their hooligan problem.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house