Credit where it's due....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:25 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:When I was in Frankfurt it was the Polish chaps that were looking for a scrap with the English.

17 pints apiece? Pah, I supped more boiling tar! :mrgreen:
Ironic, since helping the Poles was the reason we got into the war anyway. :P
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

kissoffboardy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kissoffboardy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:59 pm

Astonished bar keeper Herrmann Murr said: "Never have I seen so many drink so much in such little time."
Has he been taking public speaking lessons from tapes of Churchill speeches?
Slugs and snails are after me
DDT keeps me happy
Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
That I got no cerebellum.
Gonna get my Ph.D.
I'm a teenage lobotomy.

www.myspace.com/thebloodykissoff
www.myspace.com/savethedog
www.boltonmusic.co.uk

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:33 pm

kissoffboardy wrote:
Astonished bar keeper Herrmann Murr said: "Never have I seen so many drink so much in such little time."
Has he been taking public speaking lessons from tapes of Churchill speeches?
:lol:

"Never in the field of alcohol consumption..."
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:36 am

communistworkethic wrote:The french drink while they're buying bread, the Germans have beer at breakfast, the dutch serve beer in mcdonalds, the polish make a spirit you can run cars on and the russians pickle themselves in vodka. So the English drink a lot, so do lots of nations.

Alcohol itself is not the issue, why is drinking 5 pints before a game such a bad example to a kid? It needs to be placed in context. Smoking 20 a day, being 4 stone overweight and doing no exercise are worse examples.

Alcohol is only an issue when it is linked to violence. The 100s of thousands of English fans have drunk millions of pints, the result? Very little trouble until the two sets of fans everybody expected to cause touble appeared - the Germans and the Polish, neither nation having taken any action to look at their hooligan problem.
On the whole, all things considered, you're right. The behaviour has been good, especially considering the amounts of beer involved.

However I heard an English copper say on Five Live not long after it had happened that 100 or so England 'fans' had been rounded up and arrested for racially abusing and then kicking off with the Tunisians. It's not quite as rosy as you say.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:27 pm

no,I'm not saying it is all rosy, but out of an estimated 250,000 english fans who have been there, for there to have been around 500 arrested - for all manner of incident, it has to be considered a fair success . Plus the sheer volume of alcohol consumed would make you think that drink isn't actually the real problem just the mentality of the few idiots in the first place.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house