Let's have it all out - dedicated Sven rant thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Let's have it all out - dedicated Sven rant thread.

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:35 pm

I admit he steadied the England ship when he first got the job, and, of course, delivered THAT 5-1 win in the Germans' back yard.

However, I have never rated him am glad to see him go (if it weren't McClaren getting his office then I'd be delighted). I have never bought the image of the serene, urbane, professor of the game. His record was supposed to centre on his Lazio record, where his success was heavily bankrolled anyway. Whenever the chips have been down, he has looked clueless and tactically inept. Even when we've been winning, it's been functional rather than exhilarating. Did the qualifiyng success of that functional football raise expectations unreasonably? Well, perhaps, but we should be routinely putting away the minnows of international football anyway (Northern Ireland anyone?). I would argue that it is a generation containing some genuinely world class players that has raised the expectations - a generation that should be playing more than 'functional' football, because as has been shown very clearly, there's only so far that can get you.

Latest interview: the Theo Walcott decision. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 139428.stm

He mentions seeing Defoe play 15-20 times, but conveniently omits that he had NEVER seen Walcott in a match. Throughout his tenure, Eriksson's behaviour had regularly been unprofessional and indiscreet, but this was Sven's frivolity at its nadir. He talks about Walcott's time with the squad as if it was the world's best work experience scheme. What a joke that we were bringing centre-backs off the bench to take penalties, when we had a striker we hadn't seen all tournament, despite losing one of four to injury. I wonder what the figure is for how many times he saw Darren Bent play this season - not enough famous people to shake hands with at The Valley, one suspects. Well, that, or no Arsene Wenger to endorse him.

Sven, I'm sorry to say it, but you have been stealing a living from an even more hapless F.A., and you haven't gone a minute too soon. Well, I'd have preferred it if you'd been in the job til Sunday, but you get the point.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:10 am

He can't hear you. He's gone off to spend his ill-gotten gains.

I don't so much blame him as those who chose him. Same thing with MacLaren. The selection board are the real culprits. They know as much about football as I know about Aborigine rain dances. That ain't a lot, believe me. :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:51 am

While Sven certainly has his flaws, such as a fear of change, a tendency to favor the regulars, and a hesistancy to go on an all-out attack, let's not forget that it was England awful performance in the shootout that ended their World Cup campaign, and there's not much Sven can do to prevent Lampard, Gerrard, Carragher, and Robinson from choking. Oh, and Rooney flying off the handle again probably played a part. I am not a big fan so I feel odd defending him, but the idea that he somehow crushed the chances of the "golden generation" of English football is silly. Nobody for England was world class in this tournament. Yes, it was dumb to play Rooney as the lone striker, but there's certainly no explanation why Gerrard and Lampard were so dreadful. For that matter, even the normally rock-steady Terry was disappointing. Let's just face the facts: England is one of the most overrated teams on Earth, so getting angry at Eriksson for failing to live up to the grossly inflated visions of English fans is not fair. Scolari couldn't have won the World Cup with that roster either. The only guys who went out there with any passion were the ones everybody howled about: Lennon, Crouch, and Hargreaves.

At the end of the day, maybe Sven is a lot smarter than we all realized. Perhaps he did see that he was in a no-win situation, that he'd always be second-guessed, that his players would never live up to expectations, and so he took the path of least resistance, earning a boat-load of money while doing very little. Hard to blame him.

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:52 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
I don't so much blame him as those who chose him.
Spot on TANGO.
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:44 am

Why isn't the coaching post elected? Everyone seems to know their stuff.

Same could be said for the All Blacks, our rugby knowledgeable public would pick a better team than most coaches we've had. Presently they're picking what the public would so we're happy and we're winning.

Maybe do it by ballot with each of the FA clubs getting one vote each - transperent and public - unlike FIFA. Paid club members vote on candidates who put themselves forward like a local body election. Papers would love it and the public would feel more involved. Having the deputy of a dunce take over the role is just dumb. Look at your rugby team. Sir nice person shuffled off stupidly and his butler took over. Big broom clean sweep.
What could've happened; did.

fanz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by fanz » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:46 pm

UTTER C**T F**K OFF AND TAKE THE ARSE LICKING BROWN NOSED OLD BOYS CLUB AT THE FA WITH YOU.

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Dont know who is the biggest Winker..............

Ronaldo or Sven ?????? (OK then, its Sven)
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:33 pm

A useless, clueless, talentless chancer. He has stole a living as a football manager but has also been extremely lucky in the process.

Good riddance.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:18 am

The Walcott thing was totally inept lunacy. Did he ever intend to play him? and if he did, then why didn't he show? All he did was keep out any number of proven strikers who would have been proud to pull on their county's shirt on the say-so of the Arsenal transfer board. The milk was spilt a long time before we got to Germany, so why cry over it? Give us a decent manager with some guts and some clue as to what it's all about, and if we lose, then let's do it honourably and go down fighting. Erikson was never going to be that man. Lennon, a possible match winner got little enough time, Walcott none. Carrick put in a solid display and got dropped.

All we have now is stable-door philosophy. I, for one, and I hope I'm wrong, don't see McLaren doing any different. He was there on the scene and if he plays "follow my leader" in Erikson's footsteps we are in for a bad time. Blame the fat-cat buffoons behind the scenes who make these decisions. Sack the bloody lot of them.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:39 am

Must be strange really, to have gone through one of the most succesful times of English football and still be hailed as the worst manager in history.......

Glen Hoddle? Kevin Keegan?? Graham Taylor???

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:27 am

plodder wrote:Must be strange really, to have gone through one of the most succesful times of English football and still be hailed as the worst manager in history.......

......Steve McClaren.
Businesswoman of the year.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:44 am

plodder wrote:Must be strange really, to have gone through one of the most succesful times of English football and still be hailed as the worst manager in history.......

MANY, MANY FOLK CAN'T SEE BEYOND WHAT THE PRESS FEED THEM

THE PAPERS HAVE LONG HAD IT IN FOR SGE

FACT IS, OUR PLAYERS AREN'T ALL THEYRE CRACKED UP TO BE BY THE JOURNOS

THE BETTER THEY BUILD THE PLAYERS UP TO BE, THE MORE THEY CAN CRITICISE THE MANAGER WHEN IT GOES WRONG

WHEN HE TOOK OVER WE WERE GOING OUT OF THE 2002 WC

AT THAT TIME WE WERE LED BY 'A MAN WITH PASSION'
Sto ut Serviam

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:00 am

Sven made elementary errors that no other person in the entire country would have made. It wasn't just the taking of the squad players i.e. Walcott, Campbell, two unfit strikers out of 4. He had become a tinkerman changing and persisting with a formation that clearing didn't work. Playing with just one forward with that player being Rooney was a horrendous mistake. If there is one player in the entire Premiership who is not suited to playing up front on his own then that player is Rooney.

Svens persistance with playing Beckham when he was having yet another tournament nightmare was a huge mistake. Letting him continue being the captain from the off was another. Beckham is not and never had been a captain - end of.

It may be said that Sven was loyal to his players but that blind loyality sent us home early. Too many players under performed during this WC and Sven probably never considered dropping them ie Beckham & Lampard. His mistake of playing Gerrard and Lampard in the same team was an error. They are too similar attacking midfielders for me and Lampard should have been dropped to the bench for Hargreaves rather than a forward.

But the biggest mistake he made was playing defensive football against a weakened Portugal side who were there for the taking. We will never know now but a more positive approach would have taken us to the semi-finals.

Sven you are pleb. Goodbye.