Emile Heskey.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Emile Heskey.

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:00 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 154218.stm
Wigan have had their £5.5 million offer for Heskey accepted by Birmingham.

I think that's now something like a total of £24 million or so in transfers, for crying out loud! How can this be?
Is this a foolish purchase by Paul Jewell or could he turn out to be their Kevin Davies?
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:11 am

keep up horsey....

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... c&start=80

Birmingham must be selling him by the kilo.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Mackem_and_proud
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mackem_and_proud » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:38 am

Sorry if already posted but how on God's earth can emilie heskey be bought for 5.5m, what is a fairly decent striker gonna cost? :?
" I learned my trade at Arsenal, Became a footballer at Manchester City, But Sunderland got under my skin. It hurt me deeply to leave. I love Sunderland" Niall Quinn

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:40 am

Mackem_and_proud wrote:Sorry if already posted but how on God's earth can emilie heskey be bought for 5.5m, what is a fairly decent striker gonna cost? :?
Bellamy was only £6m :wink2:

Let's just have a look at who's got the best value here, on British strikers this summer:

Wigan - Emile Heskey - £5.5m
Liverpool - Craig Bellamy - £6m
Everton - Andy Johnson - £8.5m

:crazy:

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:42 am

blurred wrote:
Mackem_and_proud wrote:Sorry if already posted but how on God's earth can emilie heskey be bought for 5.5m, what is a fairly decent striker gonna cost? :?
Bellamy was only £6m :wink2:

Let's just have a look at who's got the best value here, on British strikers this summer:

Wigan - Emile Heskey - £5.5m
Liverpool - Craig Bellamy - £6m
Everton - Andy Johnson - £8.5m

:crazy:
If that list doesn't demonstrate why Bolton don't buy British then nothing well. Okay, there is a small flaw in my argument that Bolton did have an £8.5m accepted for AJ, but that doesn't change the assertion that he wasn't worth that amount of money.
Smarties have answers.....

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:57 am

Bench wrote:If that list doesn't demonstrate why Bolton don't buy British then nothing well. Okay, there is a small flaw in my argument that Bolton did have an £8.5m accepted for AJ, but that doesn't change the assertion that he wasn't worth that amount of money.
It is indeed a very good point. Looking at some of our signings over the past couple of years, I do sometimes shudder to think what some of them would have cost had they been English. Xabi Alonso for £10m? Would have been closer to double that if he was English - Carrick's being touted at around his value, and he's got nowhere near the skill levels and experience that Alonso had when he joined the Reds. Morientes is probably comparable with Owen (established domestic, european and national goalscorer) and yet the price was more than double for the Welsh midget.

At least with Bellamy I think we've got value. Yes there's a small premium for British players that has to be paid, but I do think that there is an up-side to buying British, certainly in terms of 'acclimatising' in all senses of the word.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:05 am

blurred wrote:
Bench wrote:
It is indeed a very good point. Looking at some of our signings over the past couple of years, I do sometimes shudder to think what some of them would have cost had they been English. Xabi Alonso for £10m? Would have been closer to double that if he was English - Carrick's being touted at around his value, and he's got nowhere near the skill levels and experience that Alonso had when he joined the Reds. Morientes is probably comparable with Owen (established domestic, european and national goalscorer) and yet the price was more than double for the Welsh midget.

At least with Bellamy I think we've got value. Yes there's a small premium for British players that has to be paid, but I do think that there is an up-side to buying British, certainly in terms of 'acclimatising' in all senses of the word.
Agreed. But unfortunately, when you're at the sharp end of the transfer market (like Bolton are), we cannot afford to pay the ridiculous premiums that are touted for good British players.
Smarties have answers.....

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:32 am

Bench wrote:Agreed. But unfortunately, when you're at the sharp end of the transfer market (like Bolton are), we cannot afford to pay the ridiculous premiums that are touted for good British players.
The only option for teams such as yourselves (and us to an extent - I mean, who wants Carrick in double figure millions?!) is to get 'em while they're young. Spurs have had a bit of a scatter-gun approach to their English youngsters, but have been able to buy players like Dawson and Lennon 'on the cheap', who have turned out to be well worth the investment on them.

Of course there are also mug-chairmen in the game, who'll pay over £5m for the likes of Lescott (cough, Everton, cough), whereas Spurs managed to pick up 2 players from Forest for less than that, and Dawson's worth more than £5m on his own, now.