Road trip

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:08 pm

I could try...if you pay, naturally...
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:18 pm

sounds fun, wish i was going on holiday.
well, i sort of am, going to the Isle of Man next week, but that doesnt sound as exciting!
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:22 am

Long trip, Monty. Factoring in your other activities along the way I reckon you'll be dog tired by the time you get back home. A quick mental calculation tells me you'll be travelling the equivalent of me driving to Perth from Sydney, returning and then heading back to the SA/WA border. It's a pity your daughter is too young to share the driving.

Take care my friend.

Cheers.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:49 am

Dujon wrote:Long trip, Monty. Factoring in your other activities along the way I reckon you'll be dog tired by the time you get back home. A quick mental calculation tells me you'll be travelling the equivalent of me driving to Perth from Sydney, returning and then heading back to the SA/WA border. It's a pity your daughter is too young to share the driving.

Take care my friend.

Cheers.
Thanks, Dujon. I should have a co-driver on the long way there and coming back we are taking it more easily. Only the first couple of days will be bad but... ooops, start in seven hours - better get to bed.

Best to everyone else on TW and remember to kick Spurs aspidistras.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:02 am

Successfully completed the first, worst part (3000 km in two days). Now in Greeley, Colorado about to take on the Rockies.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:31 am

Continued Good Luck Monty! North America is a great drive. (my first 10 family vacations were all in the car!)

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:20 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Successfully completed the first, worst part (3000 km in two days). Now in Greeley, Colorado about to take on the Rockies.
Have fun Monty!!

Rest assured your trivia account is in very safe hands!!! :shock: :D

This reminds of the uncle in Fraggle Rock who used to go adventuring and send back postcards (I can't remember his name, surely someone else must remember Fraggle Rock???)

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Gertie wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Successfully completed the first, worst part (3000 km in two days). Now in Greeley, Colorado about to take on the Rockies.
Have fun Monty!!

Rest assured your trivia account is in very safe hands!!! :shock: :D

This reminds of the uncle in Fraggle Rock who used to go adventuring and send back postcards (I can't remember his name, surely someone else must remember Fraggle Rock???)
Uncle Travelling Matt.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:53 pm

I have found out why it was easy to get a reasonably priced room in Greeley (in the Regency Hotel Best Western, no less). Greeley appears to have the stockyards for all northern Colorado and it's round-up time. The whole place stinks quite literally of bullshit when the wind is in the East (which it has been so far). Even worse the trains come through every half hour all night and each one blows its horn eight times - faintly at first, twice in my room and then more faintly. In the words of the song "I gotta get out of this place". :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:27 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I have found out why it was easy to get a reasonably priced room in Greeley (in the Regency Hotel Best Western, no less). Greeley appears to have the stockyards for all northern Colorado and it's round-up time. The whole place stinks quite literally of bullshit when the wind is in the East (which it has been so far). Even worse the trains come through every half hour all night and each one blows its horn eight times - faintly at first, twice in my room and then more faintly. In the words of the song "I gotta get out of this place". :wink:
Sounds pretty near to Gravestone Monty. Oh, and it's "We", Eric Burdon and The Animals:mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:41 pm

Great news, Monty. This is like the Tour de France, stage one over and Monty on the podium for the win. I'm glad you could manage Internet access, old son, as it's nice to know you have survived the toughest leg without mishap.

As a matter of interest - assuming you come back on here at some time - did you drive straight through (with your co-driver assistance) or stop over somewhere on the first night? After two days cooped up in the machine are you still on speaking terms with your fellow travellers? If not, who started it? Lastly, what sort of vehicle are you using (not being nosey, just interested in whether you're in a standard sedan, 4WD or whatever).

Good luck and safe travelling on stage II.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:33 am

Bon voyage Monty! I gave you and your journey a thought when I shouted for Mike Weir on your behalf at Hoylake this weekend.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:19 am

Dujon - stopped at Peru Illinois after first 1500 kms and went to Greeley second day - similar distance. Mostly drove myself though my son-in-common-law drove a couple of hours each day. Chrysler Intrepid which is a largish sedan with a 3.5 litre engine - so motors quite happily at high speeds - cruise control essential of course.

Harry - when you tour the Rockies I have discovered something important. If you have purchased a coke at sea level, do not open it and take a long swig at 12,000 feet unless you want to wash out your sinus cavity - the increased effervescence is astonishing. Also walking a quarter mile uphill at altitude takes a bit out of you. Safely down to around 7000 feet at Grand Junction, Colorado, on the banks of the River Colorado which at this point doesn't look as if it could carve out the Grand canyon.

A la prochaine...

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:58 pm

Smelly Birthday was it Monty :D

Anyway HB for yesterday Cuz.

Good Travels :oyea:
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Just remember not to hit anyone with your stool. Especially your co-driver.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 pm

"Moab shall be your washpot" I believe the good book said (I can't check because my motel room in Moab Utah has only the book of Mormon (something to do with the Angel Moroni). However I cannot imagine this being anyone's washpot - it is arid here. This morning we drove round the Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction. You take a series of hairpins up 2000 feet to the top of a mesa:

then there is a hair-raisng drive round the canyon rim close to incredible drops and no guardrail.

I noticed someone had no been so careful.

Well, worth the visit to see the fantastic shapes created by erosion.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:21 pm

Geomorphantasmical!

Liked the way you reversed the car over the edge to provide a scale. A professional touch!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:45 pm

Fantastic photo's, Monty. I really can't believe that there isn't a stretch of barrier along that mountainside. If it were me driving then I'd have just added a quarter of a day onto the trip by taking that bend! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:07 am

Spectacular stuff, Monty. Thanks for bunging up the pics.

Thanks also for the information.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:59 am

A couple of pics from Arches National Park in Utah. A lot of weird erosion.

Balanced Rock

Double Arch

Still rather hot but dropped to 104 F.