Road trip

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:55 am

Been out of internet touch until we got to Las Vegas. Up to 6000 kms now but still going strong.
The eroding pink limestone of Bryce canyon will always be a favourite.

And you can walk down amongst the spikes to the bottom;

But coming back is a bitch.

Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:59 am

You can get some good real estate deals in Mesa Verde National Park (if you are a handyman)

Actually the cliff-dwellers did not need to put roofs on their houses.

"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:14 am

Awesome photo's Monty, that first one of the limestone is simply amazing.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:20 pm

Wow, the first picture of that series is spectacular. Keep them coming Monty :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:27 pm

Nice to see that it's not just British Builders that leave the job half finished and with dust everywhere!
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:34 pm

A building firm in Blackburn does houses exactly like those Monty. :mrgreen: Fantastic pictures.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:58 pm

Living the dream Monty, living the dream :D

Great pics, more please.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:30 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Living the dream Monty, living the dream :D

Great pics, more please.
I didn't want to bore people with too many pictures in this thread. With two digicams we take hundreds a day. However I have put a selection of about 60 (including the ones on this thread) up on a website for family and friends to check progress. You can find it at http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/m ... on%202006/ if you are interested. There are more photos of Bryce there - plus Las Vegas and many other parks.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:53 pm

Highly impressive Monty. Have seen some of these becuase my CEO went on the same trip last year. Amazing scenery. Oh, by the way, gotcha on the last one......white socks....Yeah!. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:11 pm

More please!

(A lapsed geologist writes.)

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Highly impressive Monty. Have seen some of these becuase my CEO went on the same trip last year. Amazing scenery. Oh, by the way, gotcha on the last one......white socks....Yeah!. :mrgreen:
First thing I spotted on that photo! Monty, Monty, Monty. Poor show.

Some fan-fecking-tastic photos on there, I have to get out there one day.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Marvellous pictures Monty - more please!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:08 am

Little Green Man wrote:More please!

(A lapsed geologist writes.)
I gave you Death Valley - a geologist's heaven and hell on earth for the rest of us. 112F and you rise 5000 feet out of it. At this point you are told to turn off your airconditioning to avoid overheating the engine - the very time you really need it.
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:10 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Highly impressive Monty. Have seen some of these becuase my CEO went on the same trip last year. Amazing scenery. Oh, by the way, gotcha on the last one......white socks....Yeah!. :mrgreen:
Actually that was the first one since the site adds them on page 1 for some reason so they are in reverse order. I haven't worn socks of any colour since we got below 10,000 feet. Promise.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:53 am

Some great scenery, Monty. Looking at some of them I reckon you could sit all day looking at the view and picking out fresh detail as the sun creates new shadows.

My sincerest thanks for allowing access to your photobucket site.

As a matter of interest; did anyone explain the odd shaped door in the cave settlements? Did the blokes have extraordinarily wide shoulders; the ladies perhaps well endowed; or, perhaps it was easier to carry loads on one's shoulders when climbing the access ladders. From the look of it there was some form of structure outside the dwellings - perhaps of timber. I judge that proposal from the empty holes in the walls and the remaining/replaced pieces sticking out horizontally from the inner sections. If so, where did they get the wood? It looks pretty harsh territory for tall timber to grow, unless the climate has changed significantly since they were constructed.

Ah, so many questions. Sorry. Thanks again.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:40 am

Dujon wrote:Some great scenery, Monty. Looking at some of them I reckon you could sit all day looking at the view and picking out fresh detail as the sun creates new shadows.

My sincerest thanks for allowing access to your photobucket site.

As a matter of interest; did anyone explain the odd shaped door in the cave settlements? Did the blokes have extraordinarily wide shoulders; the ladies perhaps well endowed; or, perhaps it was easier to carry loads on one's shoulders when climbing the access ladders. From the look of it there was some form of structure outside the dwellings - perhaps of timber. I judge that proposal from the empty holes in the walls and the remaining/replaced pieces sticking out horizontally from the inner sections. If so, where did they get the wood? It looks pretty harsh territory for tall timber to grow, unless the climate has changed significantly since they were constructed.

Ah, so many questions. Sorry. Thanks again.
Difficult questions for certain, Dujon. The people lived there from about 600 AD to 1300, then left for no reason anyone knows. They did use long timbers for the ceilings, but may have only used timbers to block the bottom onf the doors (like a barn door) - your eyes did not deceive you as you can see from this close up.

They had outdoor structures on top the mesa - various pit dwellings and several temples. The view from the Temple of the Sun shows the timber currently available which I would agree would seem insufficient. Possibly their harvesting of the taller timber (you can see a couple of pines left) caused a change in the environment and caused them to leave.

They also built many round, covered rooms which had some ceremonial purposes and appeared to be some kind of communal bath house.

There are over 4,000 currents sites on Mesa Verde being investigated by archaeologists (who don't agree on many things).
Even the signs were a trifle confusing to we poor Canadians:

Alas, we only had about three hours there.

Sorry if this is too much information for the non-Dujons.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:19 pm

Great pictures Monty. Balanced rock at Arches NP. Glued on or what?!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Great pictures Monty. Balanced rock at Arches NP. Glued on or what?!
Need a big tube! Put it this way Harry - there are a lot of rock formations in the South West I wouldn't want to get too close to. :wink:

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:31 pm

Great Pics, white socks are actually allowed if you are wearing trainers. They are NOT allowed whilst wearing sandals.
Some of the Pics have made me yearn for our annual ski trip to Canada (off to Sun peaks next year) , the sight of the Rockies and Okenagans when covered in snow is a most beautiful sight.
:D
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:04 pm

white socks are only allowed if participating in sport or they're those trainer sock things that don't show, or you're dressed as a school girl.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house