Road trip

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:58 am

Thanks, yet again, Monty. Marvellous and most intriguing.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:45 am

communistworkethic wrote:white socks are only allowed if participating in sport or they're those trainer sock things that don't show, or you're dressed as a school girl.
Well, I was particpating in a sport - mountaineering!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 pm

Like Stout Cortez, we have reached the Pacific - North to San Francisco and Eureka today. We experienced a radical temperature shift yesterday.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 am

I trust that means the temperature has dropped, Monty. I was listening to a couple of amateur radio operators from the Ontario region yesterday (Canadian time, Tuesday) who indicated it was stiflingly hot and humid. They were on an island - I believe it's the largest fresh water island in the world, but cannot recall its name, so that'd pin it down for you. It contains more than one syllable so . . . well, you understand.

*edit*

Ne'er mind, Monty. It's Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron. Hardly a million miles from your 'home' territory.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 am

Dujon wrote:I trust that means the temperature has dropped, Monty. I was listening to a couple of amateur radio operators from the Ontario region yesterday (Canadian time, Tuesday) who indicated it was stiflingly hot and humid. They were on an island - I believe it's the largest fresh water island in the world, but cannot recall its name, so that'd pin it down for you. It contains more than one syllable so . . . well, you understand.

*edit*

Ne'er mind, Monty. It's Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron. Hardly a million miles from your 'home' territory.
Cooled down quite a bit on the Pacific in the evening (see pic of my son-in-common-law at Monterey). August is bad in Ontario and Quebec mostly the humidity - that's why I'm here! Even Death Valley is a dry heat.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:04 am

They have big trees in California

But Oregon has the bluest water in its volcanos

More pics here

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:50 am

Monty, what excellent photos!!!! what an amazing trip you're on!! San Francisco looks just like the films, did you see Steve McQueen???

I hope you are continuing to have fun and that you aren't missing us too much!!!

Gertsx
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:05 am

Gertie wrote:Monty, what excellent photos!!!! what an amazing trip you're on!! San Francisco looks just like the films, did you see Steve McQueen??

Gertsx
I hope he didn't see Steve. I hear he's not been looking too good since his slight death on November 7 1980!

:D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:11 am

Zulus! Thousands of 'em! wrote:
Gertie wrote:Monty, what excellent photos!!!! what an amazing trip you're on!! San Francisco looks just like the films, did you see Steve McQueen??

Gertsx
I hope he didn't see Steve. I hear he's not been looking too good since his slight death on November 7 1980!

:D
Who are you trying to kid? I saw him just last Christmas in that reality tv show about him and a bunch of his mates who all escape from that prisoner of war camp. I missed the end but Steve was last seen riding off on a badly disguised 1961 Triumph Bonneville.
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:50 pm

Gertie wrote:Monty, what excellent photos!!!! what an amazing trip you're on!! San Francisco looks just like the films, did you see Steve McQueen???

I hope you are continuing to have fun and that you aren't missing us too much!!!

Gertsx
We did think of Bullet, Gertie, though I took the hills rather more slowly. The worst part was when I got to a sign that said "Caution - Steep Hill". The slope was over 45 degrees! Fortunately it was only 100 yards long. Picture didn't turn out too well as the camera was shaking.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Monty wrote: "Puts me off the wine".

You don't need a road trip to see that. The river Croal in Bolton is comparable. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 pm

Monty - Some breathtaking stuff on there, chap. In particular the stuff from Yosemite.
I forgot to ask you, did you plan all of the trip and the stop-overs yourself, or did you abdicate responsibilty to an agency or somesuch?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Monty - Some breathtaking stuff on there, chap. In particular the stuff from Yosemite.
I forgot to ask you, did you plan all of the trip and the stop-overs yourself, or did you abdicate responsibilty to an agency or somesuch?
Did it all myself, Bruce, with my daughters - the hardest part was booking motels and that was pretty easy. Two thumbs up for google. The only unplanned national parks were Mesa Verde (cliffdwellers) and Colorado national monument, both of which turned out to be on our route when we had a few hours. Some I had been to 40 years ago (Bryce and Grand Canyon) and wanted to show my kids. Crater lake was recommended by a colleague and worth the trip. It all has been actually except perhaps Death valley (I'm not fond of lunar landscapes anyway).

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Finished with National Parks and driving to Victoria later today - time to givre the car a rest after 9000+ kms. Posted a few pics of Olympic national Park, Washington.

notlob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by notlob » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Finished with National Parks and driving to Victoria later today - time to givre the car a rest after 9000+ kms. Posted a few pics of Olympic national Park, Washington.
Tell me Monty, did you get to see the Olympic rain forest at all, or did you come around the NE side of the peninsula to get to Hurricaine Ridge? Ah, of course you did... you took the ferry from Seattle, then drove direcly to Port Angeles. Missed the best part of ONP, I'm afraid, but the ridge does offer nice views.

Now you're off to the town of anglo-wannabes. It's cute actually. While you are there, even if you aren't particularly into gardens, I highly recommend Butchart Gardens. Best thing in Victoria.
"Football, a game in which everyone gets hurt and every nation has its own style of play which seems unfair to foreigners" -- G. Orwell

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:51 pm

notlob wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Finished with National Parks and driving to Victoria later today - time to givre the car a rest after 9000+ kms. Posted a few pics of Olympic national Park, Washington.
Tell me Monty, did you get to see the Olympic rain forest at all, or did you come around the NE side of the peninsula to get to Hurricaine Ridge? Ah, of course you did... you took the ferry from Seattle, then drove direcly to Port Angeles. Missed the best part of ONP, I'm afraid, but the ridge does offer nice views.

Now you're off to the town of anglo-wannabes. It's cute actually. While you are there, even if you aren't particularly into gardens, I highly recommend Butchart Gardens. Best thing in Victoria.
:oops: Advice too late to listen to, alas. We asked the ranger the best thing to do in three or four hours - Smokey recommended Hurricane Ridge and walking the rim, which we did. My sister lives here in Victoria so it is not a first trip - have seen Butchart and Vancouver Island has a rain forest up near Tofino.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:33 pm

To give people an idea of the Butchart Gardens notlob mentioned, I'll post a couple of pics from three years ago (I think we will be going later today).

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:37 pm

OMG Monty's found a purple turd tree!! :shock:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:38 pm

Oi! Who said you could post a picture of my garden Monty? :evil:

Seriously, it's beautiful. Nicest gardens I ever saw where the Generalife Gardens in Spain's Alhambra Palace, but these come pretty close.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:40 pm

looks like alton towers
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house