TW Open - 20th August, Regents Park, Bolton

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:01 pm

keveh wrote: [I'd still come down and watch though, who needs a caddy?
Now there's an idea Keveh. Anyone who doesn't fancy braving it in the comp could still come and cheer us on. Yeah. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:02 pm

tango's claiming he's old and decrepit so maybe he need's a hand with his clubs
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:06 pm

communistworkethic wrote:tango's claiming he's old and decrepit so maybe he need's a hand with his clubs
Never turn a good offer down. :mrgreen: Bookies must have you as favourite from last time Com. What's the forecast?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:15 pm

the field's wide open, any suggestion that I'm favourite is just propaganda put about by those wanting to take the pressure off themselves. I've only picked up my clubs once since and it was like watching the trajectory of rockets on bonfire night.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:42 pm

communistworkethic wrote:the field's wide open, any suggestion that I'm favourite is just propaganda put about by those wanting to take the pressure off themselves. I've only picked up my clubs once since and it was like watching the trajectory of rockets on bonfire night.
Amazing what you think your swing looks like, and then you see it on video. Got the wife to vid mine on my mobile. The swing had gone so flat I looked like the guy with the hammer off J.Arthur Rank films. I'm working on it but trouble is that damn pup thinks the head of my driver is for chewing and chasing. Nearly brained it twice last night before I gave it up as a bad job. :(

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:49 pm

Yeah the video of mine showed me why I was so rubbish... The thing I know the theory, but I can't get it in practice.. grrrrrr... silly game!!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:52 pm

I had some lessons back in the spring before I went to spain for a company golf day, he videoed me on lesson one then after about half a dozen lessons to show the diference. I reckon if he filmed me now it would be back to square one.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Gertie wrote:Yeah the video of mine showed me why I was so rubbish... The thing I know the theory, but I can't get it in practice.. grrrrrr... silly game!!!

The backswing is just about perfect. If you didn't lash at it coming down it would look quite professional. Throws you off balance. Try to keep your head in the same place and slow down a bit. I've seen lots of middle handicap golfers with worse swings than that.

youngmc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by youngmc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:09 pm

Christ i am in for a bloody hidding, video's and lessons. Anyone fancy pitch and put at heaton park... :(
CHOO CHOO CHOOCHOO TRAIN!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:31 pm

Gertie wrote:Yeah the video of mine showed me why I was so rubbish... The thing I know the theory, but I can't get it in practice.. grrrrrr... silly game!!!

you any other views? maybe one from (ahem) behind. we need to analyse your weight movement

(tip toes away from commie)

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:33 pm

youngmc wrote:Christ i am in for a bloody hidding, video's and lessons. Anyone fancy pitch and put at heaton park... :(
I'm up for a bit of Crazy Golf. Always been a bit of a dab hand and them there tunnels.......

No? :conf:
Smarties have answers.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:42 pm

youngmc wrote:Christ i am in for a bloody hidding, video's and lessons. Anyone fancy pitch and put at heaton park... :(
Don't worry, it's just a mix of bravado, nerves and downright lies. The day may tell a far different story. :mrgreen:

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:51 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
you any other views? maybe one from (ahem) behind. we need to analyse your weight movement

(tip toes away from commie)
You're not commenting on my weight - or my behind young man!!!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:58 pm

Type 'regents park golf bolton' into Google and look what's about 5 down! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Type 'regents park golf bolton' into Google and look what's about 5 down! :shock:
I await a pm from Tiger Woods

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:11 pm

Registration is now open until Sunday. some miserable, over-officious little nice person from the Council wont let me book us on until Sunday morning. :whack:

I may need reminding as I'm playing Uttoxeter on that day.
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Registration is now open until Sunday. some miserable, over-officious little tw*t from the Council wont let me book us on until Sunday morning. :whack:

procedure, procedure - what a piss take

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Registration is now open until Sunday. some miserable, over-officious little tw*t from the Council wont let me book us on until Sunday morning. :whack:

What, you vs ALL Uttoxeter?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:43 pm

don't the horses feck up the greens on race days?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Must be the euphoria of the coming tourney, but today I picked up a copy of the magazine, "Today's Golfer". What a load of tosh.

95% of it is devoted to ads for drivers that will add yards to your tee shots, irons that can't miss the greens and putters that guarantee total accuracy to the hole. Golf gear, electric trolleys, bags, super-grip shoes and all the rest of the parafinalia that will turn you from a hacker into Tiger Woods overnight. Maybe a dozen pages are actually devoted to golf itself. Oh, by the way, don't forget Tiger wears a diamond encrusted Omega to tell the time. Better get one of those too.

I have a fair collection of golf books by legends like Sam Snead, Dia Rees, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicholas etc etc. None of them had or needed electronic meters that told you how far you were from the pin, or mini computers to calculate the degree of slope on a green. The game hasn't changed one iota in its ideals since it began: A. The whole idea is to get the ball from A to B in the least number of shots. B. To find a way to do this that works regularly. For that, read " a way that gets the club face back square to the ball at the end of your swing.

What's the use of a driver that knocks the ball 300 yards if you cant hit it 100 yards straight? Or a big expensive bag of clubs that you can't use?. If I were starting over again playing golf I'd buy one set of clubs and stick with them. The rest of the money I'd spend on a few lessons with a decent pro and learn how to use them. The rest is practise..and more practise. Glossy magazines are okay on coffee tables in club lounges (best use for propping up a wonky table leg). All "Today's Golfer" did for me was make me £3-60 worse off than before I bought it. Be warned.

Old Tom Morris of St Andrews got the princely sum of £50 a year and £2 a week to maintain the course. He still won the Open Championship four times, wearing a suit jacket and a flat cap. Must be a lesson there somewhere. Bet he didn't learn it from buying "Today's Golfer" :evil: