Ryder Cup

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Ryder Cup

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:35 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/5309820.stm

So, Darren Clarke and Lee Westwood get the captain's picks. Darren Clarke's a great player, but it's amazing that he's in the mood to play any competitive golf. It brought a tear to my eye when I heard about his wife's death a few weeks ago. Two young kids without their mum.

I'd have taken Bjorn over Westwood myself: he has every right to be gutted after finishing so above Westwood.

Good to see Olazabal back in the fold too. I saw a bit of him at Hoylake and he looked to be striking it as solidly as anybody.

And as for the US, it will be interesting to see how the four rookies do. Cink and Verplank are very solid golfers as captain's picks, but it's a surprise to see Davis Love III left out of the side.

Europe

David Howell
Paul Casey
Luke Donald
Sergio Garcia
Colin Montgomerie
Henrik Stenson
Robert Karlsson
Padraig Harrington
Paul McGinley
Jose Maria Olazabal
Darren Clarke
Lee Westwood

USA

Tiger Woods
Phil Mickelson
Jim Furyk
Chad Campbell
David Toms
Chris DiMarco
Vaughn Taylor
J.J. Henry
Zach Johnson
Brett Wetterich
Stewart Cink
Scott Verplank
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:36 pm

so who do you fink will win then?
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:45 pm

Sorry Bjorn isn't in, he's solid. Also a bit surprised not to see Duval in the American team.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:46 pm

I know you're not a big golf fan Cowdrill, but I'll take your question as it comes. :grin:

I actually fancy the US to buck the trend this time. I think the four rookies (rather than, say, sneering fellas like Davis Love) and evidence of Woods taking charge as the elder statesman will make for a much better team spirit for the Americans this year.

But you never know. Man for man, the US always look better, but us Europeans always seem to dig something out.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Sorry Bjorn isn't in, he's solid. Also a bit surprised not to see Duval in the American team.
To be honest Tango, I'd play Duval for money these days. He's lost his accuracy and his touch on the greens.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:51 pm

Myself, I think Europe should probably win it, by about two or three points. The four Americans rookies in there are hardly household names in their own households, and against a passionate Irish/European crowd they'll find it very difficult.

Clarke will, I think, provide an emotional focus for the European team. He'll be wanting to do well as I'm sure Heather (his wife) would have wanted. I'd have perhaps picked Bjorn but Westwood's record is just as good.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Sorry Bjorn isn't in, he's solid. Also a bit surprised not to see Duval in the American team.
I'd rather have seen me or thee chucked in as opposed to Bjorn, Tango. Personally I'd have loved to have seen Miguel Angel Jimenez in the side but hey ho!
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:53 pm

ratbert wrote:Clarke will, I think, provide an emotional focus for the European team. He'll be wanting to do well as I'm sure Heather (his wife) would have wanted.
It could go either way really. The news devastated the close-knit European tour when it broke. I'm not sure whether they will be feeling low, or rather galvanised.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:54 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
To be honest Tango, I'd play Duval for money these days. He's lost his accuracy and his touch on the greens.
Shame. On his day he was a very good golfer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:55 pm

Well let's not forget Mr. Woods' personal circumstances either!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:55 pm

I wonder if Wanderers Ways could raise a golf team to face TW's finest in a Ryder Cup special?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I wonder if Wanderers Ways could raise a golf team to face TW's finest in a Ryder Cup special?
Only TW's finest you say? :(

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I wonder if Wanderers Ways could raise a golf team to face TW's finest in a Ryder Cup special?
Don't despair Bruce - you must be worth a wildcard inclusion. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Don't despair Bruce - you must be worth a wildcard inclusion. :D
Yeay !! :D

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Shame. On his day he was a very good golfer.
AND FROM THE LITTLE I KNOW, A VERY FINE PERSON TOO
Sto ut Serviam

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:07 am

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:15 am

Woosnam's the boss. He's been given the job of bringing together a team to do a specific job. It's not just about current performance ratings.

If Woosnam fails, then he'll get slaughtered.

End of.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:16 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Bjorn rages at decision

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/5311632.stm
I'm with Woosnam on this one. I remain unconvinced by Bjorn and his ability to lose the plot when under pressure.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
They must have a "worst" player I can take on. I'm back in practise and couldn't possibly have another day like last time. I will also wear my "Who Shot Campo" T-shirt under my sweater. Exclude me and the Bruce at your peril. Bring it on. :mrgreen:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 am

Zulus! Thousand of 'em! wrote:Woosnam's the boss. He's been given the job of bringing together a team to do a specific job. It's not just about current performance ratings.

If Woosnam fails, then he'll get slaughtered.

End of.
Agreed. Although Bjorn's account of his man-management isn't terribly impressive.