Ryder Cup

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Have kept away from all news today so I could watch it all "live" (taped).

No negatives at all from me (well, maybe the pink blazers) . Just proves what a fascinating game golf is. Some of the puts were so far away they needed tee pegs, yet they went in; some were begging to jump in the hole.....and missed. Every member of the European side played really well, the Yanks just never give up, but even the mercurial J.J.Henry couldn't turn it today. David Howell, Monty, Clarke, anyone could have done it, Stenson did. A magical day all round on an awesome course. The American big guns gave it their best but it wasn't to be for them.

Since Europe took over from Britain as Ryder Cup candidates (we were after, a small island playing a huge continent) we have forged an amazing spirit of togetherness and levelled the playing field in a big way. Heroes all, as far as I'm concerned and some amazing golf. Tight fairway, more water than Regents Park and heavily guarded greens, yet the standard of golf was awesome. Some of the iron shots from distance were truly fantastic.

Shot of the tournament: Montgomery overshot the green, hit the rocks two feet from the pond and bounced backwards onto the green. Must have been a leprechaun in there somewhere. :mrgreen:

The pink blazers, if you haven't heard/twigged, were in honour of the late Heather Clarke so I think we can forgive them that

Maybe it's time for the septics to join forces with Canada :mrgreen:
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:02 pm

thebish wrote:what a great gesture from Paul McGinlay on the 18th to halve the hole... great to see that kind of spirit in sport..
Agreed whole heartedly. Jack Nicklaus once gave TonyJacklin a much more crucial put (much to the dismay of all his American colleagues). Football might well do worse than take a leaf from the books of golf. Tom Lehman deserves great credit for his leadership and great attitude. Well done the Yanks.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:05 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote: The pink blazers, if you haven't heard/twigged, were in honour of the late Heather Clarke so I think we can forgive them that

Didn't know that CAPS, in which case I'll withdraw the comment from my post. Commendable gesture.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:25 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Eh? :shock:
I hope you mean sceptics :crazy: We are a healthy country.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Rhyming slang, Monty. Septic Tanks. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:39 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Obviously Mike Weir would be an asset, and Stephen Ames is a very capable player and has played well this year, but I can't think of any more. Monty?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:22 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
Tiger did take 3 points from the 5
I'd suggest Furyk won 2 of those for him.
I'm not sure that's fair. Tiger made some crucial birdies. And the nature of the pairing means that Furyk playing to be the steady one.

You can't have it both ways anyway - when he loses with another player, it's his fault, when he wins, it was his partner.
er suggest you go and look at his scores. Furyk was the man making the birdies, Woods couldn't buy a put until Sunday.

It's odd that you're the only man in the world denying Woods was pants... again.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:43 am

Butch Harmon had a good point regarding Woods in the pairings. Went something like.....

"Tiger is uncomfortable playing with anyone else, he just doesn't like having to rely on anyone for anything. He is a solitary figure and performs so much better when he is in total control....."

So really the way to be the best at anything is to be a selfish uncompromising bastard and screw everyone else.

When do I start?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:44 am

plodder wrote:Butch Harmon had a good point regarding Woods in the pairings. Went something like.....

"Tiger is uncomfortable playing with anyone else, he just doesn't like having to rely on anyone for anything. He is a solitary figure and performs so much better when he is in total control....."

So really the way to be the best at anything is to be a selfish uncompromising bastard and screw everyone else.

When do I start?
Lesson 1. Don't ask anybody. JUST START!! :wink:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:01 am

communistworkethic wrote: er suggest you go and look at his scores. Furyk was the man making the birdies, Woods couldn't buy a put until Sunday.
OK, I have done. Here are the two pairs matches Woods and Furyk won together. Woods' three birdies in the middle of the Friday Fourball were pretty crucial, I'd say. The account given of the Foursomes does not support what you are saying either.

Friday Fourball:

http://www.rydercup.com/2006/usa/scorin ... es/11.html

Saturday Foursomes:

http://www.rydercup.com/2006/usa/scorin ... es/44.html
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Rhyming slang, Monty. Septic Tanks. :wink:
Ah! Yanks! God, this is hard
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:09 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Obviously Mike Weir would be an asset, and Stephen Ames is a very capable player and has played well this year, but I can't think of any more. Monty?
Not really any others of that calibre. They play against the US in the Presidents Cup I think. Americans don't seem at all good at the team aspect of the game and are usually deep in the hole by Sunday - this has a psychological downside I would imagine. One dreams of Brookline and tries too hard. I warned you your bet on the US was a bad one. :wink:

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:48 pm

Sadly was only able to watch bits of it this time.

Did not like us being favourites - but a look at the world rankings showed why.

USA had the top 3 players in the world - though Mickleson did not play like it.

Then, of the players in the Cup, 8 out of the next 10 in the rankings were Europeans. (only Dimarco and Toms got in the way).

So for the first time in my memory we had the real strength in depth.

And it showed on Sunday when apart from Verplank, none of the USA looked like winning.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:15 pm

Woosie's captain's picks got 8 out of a possible 9 points - that should shut that Bjorn up.