More Gunmen in Montreal

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

More Gunmen in Montreal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:55 pm

Panic going on now as shots fired at Montreal's largest Anglophone (i.e. English speaking) college.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Wow. Hopes and prayers to your cities students Monty. Some humans are just insane. I hadnt heard about the previous incident either.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:33 pm

americantrotter wrote:Wow. Hopes and prayers to your cities students Monty. Some humans are just insane. I hadnt heard about the previous incident either.
Two gunmen reportedly dead, three innocents severely injured as far as we can tell so far. The other incident was very sad. A young man didn't get into Engineering school at the Université de Montréal and considered the problem was caused by the number of women they let in the school. So he went on a rampage shooting female engineering students, killing 14. We have a day of remembrance every year about violence against women. God knows what today's incident is about.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:33 pm

It's just been announced that four people are now reported dead.

Crazy!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:It's just been announced that four people are now reported dead.

Crazy!!
Only two gunmen reported dead here (one suicide, one shot by police). Three others in critical condition. Suspicion there may be a third gunman.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:38 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:It's just been announced that four people are now reported dead.

Crazy!!
Only two gunmen reported dead here (one suicide, one shot by police). Three others in critical condition. Suspicion there may be a third gunman.
Four dead, sixteen injured from Sky news Monty. Personally I hope your right!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:47 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Crazy!!
Four dead, sixteen injured from Sky news Monty. Personally I hope your right!!
Sky is getting that from the CBC which uses the word "reportedly" - keeping my fingers crossed.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national ... awson.html
CTV is more cautious and has only two confirmed dead (both gunmen)

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:54 pm

CNN only has a gunman. Let's hope it's 1 dead gunman and 3 barely wounded innocents.

burnden58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by burnden58 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:56 pm

Monty are guns a problem over there? just like the USA
John Byrom once asked me to wash his car

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:57 pm

No. That's why this is shocking.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:00 pm

burnden58 wrote:Monty are guns a problem over there? just like the USA
The police are armed and there are gangland slayings (what they call settling of accounts often involving biker gangs) but these things never really affect the general populace. You can walk around Montreal at any time of day or night and feel safe. About this an eyewitness says:
An eyewitness told CBC News she was sitting outside Dawson College when she saw a tall, white man wearing a long black trench coat walk down the street with a large gun. He was with a number of other people, she said.

The man, who the witness described as about 19 and wearing studs and piercings, fired on several people in the area, she said. The woman said she ran and hid in the bushes as debris from the gunfire scattered around her. She ran again until a woman let her inside her apartment.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Re: More Gunmen in Montreal

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:10 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Panic going on now as shots fired at Montreal's largest Anglophone (i.e. English speaking) college.
Shouldn't that be "Anglophonic" or, alternately, be defined as "English speaker"?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:10 pm

CBC now downgraded deaths to the two gunman! Good news!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:13 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Panic going on now as shots fired at Montreal's largest Anglophone (i.e. English speaking) college.
Shouldn't that be "Anglophonic" or, alternately, be defined as "English speaker"?
Possibly if one was in an English-speaking jurisdiction. The word Anglophone is originally French and distinguishes chaps like me from the Francophones. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophone
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Current injury report is as follows:
McGill Hospital officials say 12 people have been admitted, six of them in critical condition, two in serious condition and the rest in stable condition.
Reports are now that two gunmen were killed and a third is being searched for in the building.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:57 pm

And that should be enough to respond to the grammatical pedants of Quebec and to point out that there's a u in colour. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Tell me the world isn't going mad. Who the fxxx puts guns in the hands of these madmen? We have fifteeen year old, gun-toting kids killing each other over neighbourhood territories in order to get "respect" from equally misfunctional fifteen year old kids. We have drug gangs killing each other and innocent people getting shot in "drive by" shootings and muggers threatening people with hypodermic syringes. Old people get beaten senseless for their pension cheques and have their house broken into and robbed by hoolums and louts and the police can't deal with any of it for spending all their time patroling areas where drunken youths are beating each other to death or chasing idiot joy-riders in stolen cars.

"And I say to myself, what a wonderful world" :roll:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:54 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
Possibly if one was in an English-speaking jurisdiction. The word Anglophone is originally French and distinguyishes chaps like me from the Francophones. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophone

I think that's MW 1 - Commie 0 (pedants destroyed in crushing blow shocker!!!)

[NB: I wonder if you meant "alternatively" rather than "alternately" commie? tut tut...]

also, to substitute "English speaker" as you suggest would render: "Montreal's largest English speaker college" which would be patent nonsense...

first rule of pedantry: get it right yourself...
second rule of pedantry: you look like a bit of a knob when you do it in a seriously-intended thread and also get it wrong...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:34 am

To answer your question, TANGO, I have no idea.

What brings people to perpetrate such heinous acts is beyond my comprehension. One can, to an extent, understand inter-gang wars where guns are used and even the odd crime passionel, but this sort of premeditated slaughter is totally alien to me.

Fortunately we've only had the one incident in this country that could be placed within the same classification. That was a fellow called Martin Bryant who shortened the life of 35 men, women and children at a tourist spot (Port Arthur, Tasmania). He was reported at the time as having an IQ rating of 66, or thereabouts. At the moment he's rotting in jail. I hope he gets one minimal meal per day and no privileges apart from access to a toilet.

What are the causes, apart from some perceived injustice? Mind affecting drugs (e.g. cannabis, alcohol)? Some other form of brain disorder (e.g. depression, emotional detachment)? Religious fervour (e.g. Jim Jones' sect)? Megalomania? Damned if I know.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:00 am

Six hours later we discover the following:

There was one, lone gunman who parked outside the college, removed an assault rifle and other weapons from his trunk (boot), shot a couple of people outside and entered the building shooting randomly. His identity and motive have not yet been released, beyond the fact he was a 25-year old Quebecer.

We are generally criticial of our police. On this occasion, however, they emerged with a great deal of credit. The first police cars were on the scene in less than three minutes after the first shot. Apparently the first officer on the scene shot and killed the gunman on the second floor of the college where he had run to hide. This was long before the SWAT team arrived although within 20 minutes there were 80 emergency vehicles on site. The next two hours were confusion as the police searched the building and evacuated 9-10,000 students and staff wondering if there was another gunman. There were rumours, some of which Sky picked up.

20 victims were taken to the hospital (a number of whom were being treated for shock rather than bullet wounds). At least 12 people were wounded, of whom 8 were considered critical. We thought until half an hour ago we had got clean away with only one fatality - the gunman. Sadly we have just learned that an 18-year old female student died of wounds she received. Hopefully the rest will pull through.

Although Montreal is a city of some three million, the Anglophone community is quite small - perhaps 250,000. Half of Dawson's students are Anglophone and the other half Allophone (mother tongue other than English or French). Everyone from the Anglophone community knows someone who goes there. My two older children went there before attending university. My third child went to a different smaller college, and my fourth will go there next year. So, although the harvest of young lives is far less than a holiday weekend on the roads, we have all been significantly affected by this. In perspectyive we were lucky, but one young innocent girl has died. One too many.