More Gunmen in Montreal

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:42 am

I seem to remember from 'bowling for Columbine' that there are more firearms per capita in Canada than in the US with a tiny fraction of the gun related crime.. Michael Moores point was 'Generally a safe place and with a sensible attitude to firearms.. [but a bit dodgy if you're a Mousse]'

Did I remember right..?
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:30 am

norm the jedi wrote:I seem to remember from 'bowling for Columbine' that there are more firearms per capita in Canada than in the US with a tiny fraction of the gun related crime.. Michael Moores point was 'Generally a safe place and with a sensible attitude to firearms.. [but a bit dodgy if you're a Mousse]'

Did I remember right..?
Is that a chocolate mousse or hair styling mousse?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:53 am

I heard on the radio this morning when I was driving into work that a gunman had shot someone in a Montreal university. It didn't state which college and my heart was in my mouth.

It's a horrible part of life when someone takes a life in such a random and undeserved way.

Thoughts are with the folk of Montreal today

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:30 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:I seem to remember from 'bowling for Columbine' that there are more firearms per capita in Canada than in the US with a tiny fraction of the gun related crime.. Michael Moores point was 'Generally a safe place and with a sensible attitude to firearms.. [but a bit dodgy if you're a Mousse]'

Did I remember right..?
Is that a chocolate mousse or hair styling mousse?
See I initally thought ELK....

Should always go with your first thought...

you nice person :mrgreen:
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:11 pm

Did I remember right..?
The stat could well be true because it includes rifles, which most non-city dwellers own (Canada has one tenth the population of the US but is much larger so there is a lot of non-city). Rifles must be licensed (unlike the US) and semi-automatic rifles are illegal. Handguns are illegal except for people registered with gun clubs for target practice - these guns are supposed to be kept on club premises but can be transported in the trunk of the car with a special permit. Moose, or elk, etc. can only be hunted during a fairly short season in the Fall. Yesterday's perpetrator had a semi-automatic rifle, presumably smuggled in from the States.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Since news sources may not be too uptodate there I can report.
Only one victims has died, but two other are in "very critical condition" on life support, and another six in critical condition but expected to survive.

The killer was 25-year old Kimveer Gill, a Goth, who kept a webdiary at vampirefreaks.com. It said:
A blog maintained by Gill contains more than 50 photos depicting the young man in various poses holding a Baretta CX4 Storm semi-automatic rifle and wearing a long black trenchcoat and boots.

"His name is Trench. you will come to know him as the Angel of Death," he wrote on his profile on vampirefreaks.com, an online hub of goth culture.

The blog paints a dark portrait of the 25-year-old man.

"He is not a people person. He has met a handfull (sic) of people in his life who are decent." But he writes that he finds the vast majority to be "worthless, no good, kniving, betraying lieing (sic), deceptive."

The last of Gill's six journal entries Wednesday was posted at 10:41 a.m, just two hours before the gunman was shot dead after the college shooting.
More including the blog pictures at http://www.cbc.ca/news/

The community here is still largely in shock.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

white blood
Promising
Promising

Post by white blood » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:51 pm

burnden58 wrote:Monty are guns a problem over there? just like the USA

and manchester...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:37 pm

Bottom line: Guns take lives. Anyone found in posession of one, who doesn't need it in their job or isn't a member of a target shooting club, should get ten years minimum. If idiots didn't have them, then the public wouldn't need to claim they are for protection. Carry one, pay the price. Ten years behind bars would soon deter a lot of would-be Al Capones. About time the law started showing some teeth instead of all this "human rights" crap that criminals use to maipulate the rules to suit themselves. No guns, period. No excuses, no considerations, no guns.

Guns, knives and swords are beautiful examples of engineering and skill, and never hurt anyone unless you put them in the hands of idiots. Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots out there. It's gone on for too long. Time to adopt the "Prevention is better than cure" mandate. While the law dithers, people are dying.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Bottom line: Guns take lives. Anyone found in posession of one, who doesn't need it in their job or isn't a member of a target shooting club, should get ten years minimum. If idiots didn't have them, then the public wouldn't need to claim they are for protection. Carry one, pay the price. Ten years behind bars would soon deter a lot of would-be Al Capones. About time the law started showing some teeth instead of all this "human rights" crap that criminals use to maipulate the rules to suit themselves. No guns, period. No excuses, no considerations, no guns.

Guns, knives and swords are beautiful examples of engineering and skill, and never hurt anyone unless you put them in the hands of idiots. Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots out there. It's gone on for too long. Time to adopt the "Prevention is better than cure" mandate. While the law dithers, people are dying.
Tango, while I have never owned any sort of gun and it is over 40 years since I fired a rifle while playing soldiers, I think there is a very considerable difference between the UK and North America. Outside of our cities there are some very large and unfriendly animals. Even the timid ones can have sharp horns. It may not be unreasonable if one lives out there to have a rifle. I content my syself with shooting them another way, viz:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Monty - What the Dickens is that? :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Monty - What the Dickens is that? :shock:
It is a Rocky Mountain Goat that I ran into near Jasper in 2003.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:24 pm

Text and pictures from the killer's weblog can be found here. When he describes himself as Indian it is someone from the subcontinent not a native American.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:41 pm

Did I remember right..?
Its a similar incident to Columbine, wonder if they'll blame Marilyn Manson for this one?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:04 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:

Did I remember right..?
Its a similar incident to Columbine, wonder if they'll blame Marilyn Manson for this one?
Actually it wasn't that similar except for the copycat nature.
Gill claimed on the site that he played a computer game, “Super Columbine Massacre,” based on the April 1999, shootings at a Colorado high school in which two students wearing trench coats killed 13 people before committing suicide themselves. His favourite film was “Natural Born Killers”.
There were many difference:
Big City - small town
Large College - small High school
Lone gunman - two friends
Victims random and unknown - victims classmates and known

It hasn't been announced if Gill ever attended Dawson (although judging from his English I doubt it).
One wonders whether videogames such as the one he played should be outlawed.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:43 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Tango, while I have never owned any sort of gun and it is over 40 years since I fired a rifle while playing soldiers, I think there is a very considerable difference between the UK and North America. Outside of our cities there are some very large and unfriendly animals. Even the timid ones can have sharp horns. It may not be unreasonable if one lives out there to have a rifle. I content my syself with shooting them another way, viz:
There are many wild animals over here Monty. Nearly all of them have two legs. I quote the "two-legged, baggy arsed, greater hooded pill snuffler". If you own a gun, you should have a valid reason for it and a permit. You carry one and don't have, then you should go inside for a long time. How else will it ever get through the thick skulls of potential killers that it isn't worth the risk? Supplying them on the street should carry a twenty-stretch: And ten or twenty years should mean that without soft remissions. Judges and lawyers live in a different world than the street. A couple of years on a bad council estate would soon change their lenient views of unreality.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:21 am

TANGODANCER wrote: If you own a gun, you should have a valid reason for it and a permit. You carry one and don't have, then you should go inside for a long time.
Agreed 100%.