Work Experience

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Work Experience

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:35 pm

I've got to get somewhere to go in the next week
Has anyone got anywhere good for me to go or any good ideas i was thinking off writing to reebok and working in the factory or writing to Bolton just for the fun off it but if you guys have any answers then i'll be happy
Last edited by Tals-biggest-fan on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:36 pm

I'd suggest running any letters through Spellcheck.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:38 pm

A mate of mine did his at SCAN the computer firm, though most of it involved driving to the boss' house at lunchtimes to smoke weed.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Work Experience

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:40 pm

Tals-biggest-fan wrote: i was thinking off writing to reebok and working in the factory
That should be one hell of a commute! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:46 pm

I was told its quite good another option was travaling down to Stockport and going into the army for 2weeks
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:50 pm

Tals-biggest-fan wrote:I was told its quite good another option was travaling down to Stockport and going into the army for 2weeks
You can sign up for two weeks? :shock: Gosh, things have changed since I served her majesty.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

JAM
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by JAM » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:52 pm

I did mine many moons ago at a well known electronics company and spent the week making illegal games for my super nintendo. It's amazing what you can do with the right software and a soldering iron - quality.
This is supposed to be a man's game but it's full of namby-pamby, wet yer pants, frilly knicker wearing pansies.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:22 pm

there's one at the BBC proof reading bits of journo, should be perfect for you

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:27 pm

Get on to the BEN and see if you can sit on the sports desk.

I did mine at the MEN and sat with Paul Hince... and we just argued about footy for a fortnight whilst he bought me dinner everyday... bloody marvellous.
Viva La Portable Radio!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:32 am

The best work experience is real work. Weekends or whenever you can fit it in to your arduous study schedule. The bonus is that you get paid for having fun.

The down side of that is of course that you do have to work and take responsibility for your efforts.

I used to own a shop and when work experience time came around each year used to take one student from the local high school for a week. Whoever it was got dirty jobs and more interesting activites. That means things like dusting down stock (especially the wall stock -- tee hee) or assembling and testing computers. Some of the lads were really good, others were - to be blunt - woeful. Whatever you take on, T-b-f, at least have a decent go at it. Your pseudo employer no doubt, as did I, will have to complete a report on your activites and performance. Sitting around on your posterior awaiting instruction will get you no brownie points; getting up and seeking something to do will.

Good luck.

Quayley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Quayley » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:38 pm

You have pretty much no chance at the reebok to be honest mate, i tried a few months ago when i wanted to get in there, ringing them up and everything, theres just no hope, unfortunately.

I did mine last week though and went to an architechts, that was quite good, but all i can suggest is that you go to a place that revolves around what you would like to do in the future, as it makes you think "I want to do that when im older" or it changes your mind and you think "thats not for me" which saves you wasting half your life buiding up to getting this job, if you unmderstand me.

Quayley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Quayley » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Sorry for the double post lads :cry:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:05 pm

Dujon wrote:The best work experience is real work. Weekends or whenever you can fit it in to your arduous study schedule. The bonus is that you get paid for having fun.

The down side of that is of course that you do have to work and take responsibility for your efforts.

I used to own a shop and when work experience time came around each year used to take one student from the local high school for a week. Whoever it was got dirty jobs and more interesting activites. That means things like dusting down stock (especially the wall stock -- tee hee) or assembling and testing computers. Some of the lads were really good, others were - to be blunt - woeful. Whatever you take on, T-b-f, at least have a decent go at it. Your pseudo employer no doubt, as did I, will have to complete a report on your activites and performance. Sitting around on your posterior awaiting instruction will get you no brownie points; getting up and seeking something to do will.

Good luck.
At the risk of getting more "octogenarian" hammer, Dujon, I spent my six-weeks school holidays working in a mill when I was just thirteen. Did the same thing again the following year. Long hours, hard graft and little pay. All for the sake of helping the family out, not for pocket money. Work experience? The only experience is actual "work".
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Dujon wrote:The best work experience is real work. Weekends or whenever you can fit it in to your arduous study schedule. The bonus is that you get paid for having fun.

Good luck.
At the risk of getting more "octogenarian" hammer, Dujon, I spent my six-weeks school holidays working in a mill when I was just thirteen. Did the same thing again the following year. Long hours, hard graft and little pay. All for the sake of helping the family out, not for pocket money. Work experience? The only experience is actual "work".
I have a vision of TD dressed like Oliver Twist clambering under some Silas Marner-like loom.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:14 pm

"I have a vision of TD dressed like Oliver Twist clambering under some Silas Marner-like loom. "

And that from a red brother of the revolution. :evil:

Actually, it wasn't too far out. Baggy overalls buttoned up to the neck and the clambering about bit was spot on. Ah, those were the days. :mrgreen:

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:50 pm

One thing's for sure, DONT get work experiance in a random office, you'll end up filing for a week, or sending around memo's filling envelopes etc, my work experiance was so boring i thought id die, payroll at Bolton Council. About 7/8 weeks ago bury had there work experiance week, we had a lad, scanning documents onto computer system for a full week. I dont know how he coped, but he came back in the holidays and worked full time for 5 weeks, good on the lad.

Im sure they would take you on here, (if you want to do that to yourself) give me a pm if your stuck.
Stay up

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:01 pm

I did my Work experience with Sussex county cricket club. Really enjoyable as most of it was outside and in the hto sunny weather.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:00 pm

I did my work experience with Football in the Community at BWFC, very rewarding to see the progression of kids social skills through the medium of football over the course of a fortnight. Very enjoyable to do, and I'd certainly recommend something that you'd look to build upon for the future and would look good on your CV.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:55 pm

The office I work in takes on work experience students from schools. I think some of them are freaked out being in an office which is an almost entirely female environment (except 1 gay guy) who ALL love Take That, cute boys and quite often break into song, wide reportoire - mainly show tunes and boybands.

Before long they are reading Heat, summarising the best buys in Oasis and buying the full-fat muffins from Starbucks, telling us that "of course they are the skinny ones, and no you haven't put on an ounce this week".

It's a vital education for any teenage boy, If you're interested young Tal, let me know...

Oh, and there is a bit of filing to do too....
Last edited by Gertie on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:58 pm

Gertie wrote:The office I work in takes on work experience students from local. I think some of them are freaked out being in an office almost entirely female environment (1 gay guy) who ALL love Take That, cute boys and quite often break into song, wide reportoire - mainly show tunes and boybands.

Before long they are reading Heat, summarising the best buys in Oasis and buying the full-fat muffins from Starbucks, telling us that "of course they are the skinny ones, and no you haven't put on an ounce this week".

It's a vital education for any teenage boy, If you're interested young Tal, let me know...

Oh, and there is a bit of filing to do too....
and of course you'll learn how to spot shoes from LK Bennett. (not that I can of course :oops: )