Remember Ipswich's example

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Remember Ipswich's example

Post by bw@bw » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:04 pm

Promoted

Far exceeded expectations (got into Europe) in year 1

Relegated in year 2

Any chance it could happen to West Ham , Wigan (or even both)?

Or am I just wishing?

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:06 pm

We can but hope and snigger if it happens. I would have thought they've got sufficient quality in the squad to survive, but you could have said that when they went down last time.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:10 pm

What happened to them was sweet justice after the Barry Knight debacle.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:12 pm

Batman wrote:What happened to them was sweet justice after the Barry Knight debacle.

spesh when we battered em 4-1 near the end of that season! :P
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:13 pm

Fredi Bobic

16apps 4 goals, 3 of em against those bastards!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Remember Ipswich's example

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:38 pm

bw@bw wrote:Any chance it could happen to West Ham , Wigan (or even both)?
Y'know, I think we might be in with a chance with Wet Spam. I'm wondering if the signing of Tevez and Mascherano might just be the worst thing that could have happened to them. Bear with me on this.

Last season, they were flying along with a tight-knit, largely home-grown squad which had a nice blend of youthful exuberance and talent (eg Nigel Reo-Coker, Dean Ashton, Anton Ferdinand) and experience (Teddy YardOfSpace). And for most of the summer they were recruiting nicely - I still think Carlton Cole could be a very dangerous player if only he'd stop p!ssing about and come to us, while Robert Green arrived along with Lee Bowyer (think football not nonsense) a few solid Championship players like Tyrone Mears and George McCartney.

Then they got parked with two "super"stars, and the whole fragile ecosystem came crashing down. All other players were rendered worthless, partly by the new arrivals and partly by what they may be harbingers of - foreign investment, big signings, exit door. Pardew is repeating the "there are no factions" mantra so often that there absolutely MUST be. The big singings have contributed two-fifths of f*ck-all, while also depressing the previous leaders of the team: as thebish's research shows, the fans are already turning against "home" players as good as Reo-Coker, while previously dangerous strikers like Harewood are now over-eager to prove themselves in their fewer minutes on-pitch. Panic sets in. Results nosedive. Suddenly they're in a crisis.

And in't it luvverly?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:58 pm

Last season, they were flying along with a tight-knit, largely home-grown squad which had a nice blend of youthful exuberance and talent (eg Nigel Reo-Coker, Dean Ashton, Anton Ferdinand) and experience (Teddy YardOfSpace). And for most of the summer they were recruiting nicely - I still think Carlton Cole could be a very dangerous player if only he'd stop p!ssing about and come to us, while Robert Green arrived along with Lee Bowyer (think football not nonsense) a few solid Championship players like Tyrone Mears and George McCartney.

Then they got parked with two "super"stars, and the whole fragile ecosystem came crashing down. All other players were rendered worthless, partly by the new arrivals and partly by what they may be harbingers of - foreign investment, big signings, exit door. Pardew is repeating the "there are no factions" mantra so often that there absolutely MUST be. The big singings have contributed two-fifths of f*ck-all, while also depressing the previous leaders of the team: as thebish's research shows, the fans are already turning against "home" players as good as Reo-Coker, while previously dangerous strikers like Harewood are now over-eager to prove themselves in their fewer minutes on-pitch. Panic sets in. Results nosedive. Suddenly they're in a crisis.
I agree. Though i think Reo Coker is having a Nolan-esque season. And getting subsequent treatment from the fans.

Unfortunately i can't see them going down. You'd have to expect that something has to give, either the takeover go's through, or Kia takes his boys elsewhere.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:01 pm

I fecking hate Ipswich.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

burnden58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by burnden58 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:46 pm

The Reading fans were singing about wet spams argie

Your just a fat Maradona
fat maradona
your just a fat maradona

quality
John Byrom once asked me to wash his car

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:27 pm

Not a chance in hell. Mid table, comfortably. Ipswich lasted quite a while in Europe (did they make it to the quarters?), West Ham are out early.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:36 am

Yeah can't see West Hams european campaign affecting their season! Not sure about Wigan though. I think it looks like Sheff U and Watford don't have anywhere near enough in their locker to trouble the top 17, so will only be one place up for grabs. Wigan look ropey-ish, but will probably splash some cash in January. We'll have to see if Tevez and Mascherano adapt sometime into the new year ala Jay Jay...it would be class if they didn't though and West Ham at least flirted with relegation.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:39 am

Crouch > Davies wrote:Not a chance in hell. Mid table, comfortably. Ipswich lasted quite a while in Europe (did they make it to the quarters?), West Ham are out early.
From what I can recall they got to the third round at best. They came up against Inter Milan and while beating them 1-0 at Portman Road went on to lose something like 4-1 away from home. I have a feeling they had 1 round before that, possibly two at most.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:52 am

blurred wrote:
Crouch > Davies wrote:Not a chance in hell. Mid table, comfortably. Ipswich lasted quite a while in Europe (did they make it to the quarters?), West Ham are out early.
From what I can recall they got to the third round at best. They came up against Inter Milan and while beating them 1-0 at Portman Road went on to lose something like 4-1 away from home. I have a feeling they had 1 round before that, possibly two at most.
Correct Blurred -

http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Hi ... 81,00.html

The following year, even though they had been relegated, they were in the UEFA again - because they had won a 'fair play' entry spot.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Remember Ipswich's example

Post by 50sQuiff » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
bw@bw wrote:Any chance it could happen to West Ham , Wigan (or even both)?
Y'know, I think we might be in with a chance with Wet Spam. I'm wondering if the signing of Tevez and Mascherano might just be the worst thing that could have happened to them. Bear with me on this.

And in't it luvverly?
It is. Even if what you say isn't true, I'm going to pretend it is for peace of mind, until I know otherwise.
“Crime, once exposed, has no refuge but in audacity” - Tacitus

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:44 pm

I saw a stream of the Villa-WHAM game and R-C was absolute and utter pish in that one. I think his head is in The Emirates Stadium (so funny that l'Arse has a stadium sponsored by the same firm as Cheatski).

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:50 pm

West Ham are destabilised by takeover talk - which may involve the manager being kicked out the door, two players being shoehorned into a squad that doesn't really need them, and going from having nothing to lose last season to high expectations this one due to media hype and over expectant gobsh*te fans.

They won't go down, but lower end of the table, probably.

Six more points please!

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:57 pm

I f*ckin hate West Ham.

Just thought I'd add that in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:37 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:Not a chance in hell. Mid table, comfortably.
Why's that, C>D? Oh no, actually, I've heard the answer to this before - what with class players like Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Paolo di Canio, Jermain Defoe, Fredi Kanoute, David James, Trevor Sinclair and Glen Johnson, they're Too Good To Go Down :mrgreen:

(Reported in this morning's rumour roundups that tomorrow Pardew will discuss releasing the Argentinians in January)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:43 pm

they came...they saw...they shagged up WHs season...they buggered off

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:(Reported in this morning's rumour roundups that tomorrow Pardew will discuss releasing the Argentinians in January)
I'm not so sure that that's Pardew's discussion to have, is it? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way