Well, whadda you call 'em then?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Well, whadda you call 'em then?

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:18 pm

Following Monty's cross dressing (or was it cross-country) admission on another thread, I was wondering who else got confused over everyday items like knickers.

Are they worn as outer or inner garments?

Down here in shandy land, pants are worn under trousers (I know), whereas oop north and across the pond, UNDERpants are worn under (surprisingly) pants, keks, strides or trousers.

So come on, then. All you fanny lovers (both kinds) let us know what other hilarious circumstances can be misconstrued through this wonderful language of ours.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:26 pm

Well, if your a woman on holiday in America and get lucky one night, what ever you do, don't tell them you love it up the fanny!!! :?
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:57 pm

And if asking for a smoke in the US, don't ask if you can 'bum a fag'

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:25 pm

LOL blurred. my sister and I call them fags. Get's a lfew looks in San Fran sometimes.

burnden58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by burnden58 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:40 pm

My northern accent has delivered some strange things in the past. The worst being whilst in a pub in Worcester, I ordered a COKE and was served a toasted sandwich. :evil:

Their version of Coke being COWKE I resorted to pointing at the bottles of coke behind the bar and saying I'll have one of them. :D
John Byrom once asked me to wash his car

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:50 pm

PANTS GO UNDER WHATEVER ELSE YOU ARE WEARING, PANTS ARE NOT TROUSERS

Barm cake is something that confuses me! Is it not the same as a bread roll? which is not a cake! its a roll!
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

burnden58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by burnden58 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:04 pm

We use to call them Flour cakes..........
John Byrom once asked me to wash his car

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:18 pm

When I first emigrated to Tykeland I was shocked. The chippes don't sell puddings and when I asked for a muffin I got a blank look. No, what they sell instead is a teacake, ffs a teacakes got currants in it!
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:37 pm

At a fancy dinner party here in 1969 my sister told a story here in which the ending was "he came round and knocked me up at two in the morning". Over here knocked up means exclusively to make pregnant so her remarks caused some consternation.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:24 pm

Ok then, on a similar note:

Is it Breakfast, Lunch then Dinner

or

Breakfast, Dinner then Tea?

BLD for me.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:43 pm

Hoolio wrote:Ok then, on a similar note:

or

BLD for me.
BLD over here. Tea is not generally a meal (except in Victoria BC). One might say supper instead of dinner.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Welcome to the world of the Aberdonian......

Everything has to have an "ie" on the end...... shoppie, baggie, drinkie etc etc etc
It is not a barm it is a softie. A roll is a buttery and a buttery is a rowie. All within five miles of each other :shock:

Go just north of Aberdeen and enter the world of Doric...........it is very strange.......

"dreekit"
"biggin me steadin"
"pass me grape"

Don't ask just nod...... even after ten years if there are two country boys talking away, I still just nod and agree.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:14 pm

or

BLD for me.
Depends on who you're dealing with to be honest, Hoolio. I'd imagine that 'tea' originally stems from taking 'High tea', which was generally sandwiches, tea and cakes taken in the late afternoon by certain classes. This would be followed later by dinner or supper. So I think anyway.

Narr then, other than for 'food' in general, I've never really understood what's meant by 'snap' or 'Jack Bit'. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:56 pm

Knickers Flour cakes and Teacakes, Meals. An education:

Knickers are knickers. Women have always worn knickers, from the long navy blue variety with elastic round the bottoms of the legs (commonly known as finger-trappers) and a pocket for a handkerchief. (don't believe me, ask your grandma). Girls used to tuck their frocks up the legs whilst following the common pastime of doing handstands against a wall. (Again, ask your granny). If this practise were followed today, the whole female race under twenty would be pregnant. Knickers are knickers.

In the early fifties, the pencil skirt made its appearance. These had a risque six-inch split at the back and were skin tight. You might get one down, you certainly wouldn't lift it. Finger-trappers disappeared about the same time. Rock and roll brought the wide skirts which were much more user-friendly (so to speak). This was our generation and we achieved a little freedom from the previous iron-disciline that had existed up to then. Each generation since has torn the ass out of it all. Now you have thongs which look like a medieval torture implement, and "tights" (self explanatory for a daft way of replacing the much more sensuous stockings). Suspenders clips used to break easily and girls would use an aspirin inside their stockings to clip them to. Men got a lot of headaches in those days. Such is progress. Knickers are still knickers. Pants are what men wear.

Barm cake is just a modernisation of the good old "flour cake". Teacakes (as has already been stated)
have currants in them. I am toasting two for supper as I do most nights. They are sheer delight.

In working class areas the meal order is: "Breakfast, dinner, tea". You don't take the wife out for dinner, you take her out for a "meal". Any other order is just the upper classes screwing things up to be different. "Lunch" has become an accepted version of dinner, since everyone has lunch at dinner-time (figure that one out). The upper class say they are finishing work at "teatime", then going home for dinner. How daft is that? Well, if they finished at dinnertime they'd only work half a day.

All this valuable information is donated free of charge. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

or

BLD for me.
Depends on who you're dealing with to be honest, Hoolio. I'd imagine that 'tea' originally stems from taking 'High tea', which was generally sandwiches, tea and cakes taken in the late afternoon by certain classes. This would be followed later by dinner or supper. So I think anyway.

Narr then, other than for 'food' in general, I've never really understood what's meant by 'snap' or 'Jack Bit'. :conf:
Not sure that etymology is quite accurate, Bruce (I seem to recall being wrong about this before).
Tea as a working man's meal is defined in the OED as:
4. a. A meal or social entertainment at which tea is served; esp. an ordinary afternoon or evening meal, at which the usual beverage is tea (but sometimes cocoa, chocolate, coffee, or other substitute). Now usu. a light meal in the late afternoon, but locally in the U.K. (esp. northern), and in Australia and N.Z., a cooked evening meal; in Jamaica, the first meal of the day.
(Obviously Ricky Gardner would have trouble if you invitied him). The OED places the first usage in 1738. Note it is a principally North country usage.
Afternoon tea (which we always had) was just tea (and possible a biscuit). It became High Tea if some meat was served - but as you say a light meal which took you through to supper at 8 ish - however it stems from a later date in Victoria's time.

As for Jack Bit I suggest you ask them at JACK BIT CAF. MARKET STREET WIGAN LANCASHIRE WN1 1HX,

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:20 pm

plodder wrote:A roll is a buttery and a buttery is a rowie.
Eat the latter and you'll be having a rowie with your doctorie on account of all the lardie in it. (Even more so if it has Lorne sausage in it.)

:vomit:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:21 pm

or

BLD for me.
Where does scran fit in to that?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:35 am

Here the general usage is BLT, though some use BLD. It's rare for 'dinner' to be used to describe a midday meal.

'Trousers', 'pants', 'strides', 'daks' (or dacks), 'slacks' for two (long) legged apparel. Knickers are ladies underwear but, not being an expert in the field, I can say little other than that I've rarely heard the term used (perhaps female sensibilites preclude it); 'undies' is more the norm.

Incidentally 'crisps' are 'chips', just as are the hot variety purchased at the fish 'n chip shop. If you go to the pub or club a pint is a pint. A 15fl oz glass is a 'schooner' where I live while a 10 fl oz (a half) is a 'middy' and a 7 fl oz a 'pony'. These terms vary with location though.

Not too much to get into trouble with there.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:40 am

Breakfast, dinner then tea. A barm cake is a round, fat slab of bread and a butty is something made from a flat slice of bread. End of!

I used to work with a Spaniard a few years ago - nice bloke but he just couldn't understand the vast array of eat related sayings we have over here. For example, he would insist that you eat lunch at midday and found it funny (to the point of hysteria) that I would called it dinner. :roll:
Businesswoman of the year.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:45 am

Regarding mealtimes... I have one question...

When you're at school, what are those women called who hang around, supervising the yard?

They are called Dinner Ladies. They are called Dinner Ladies because they look after you at dinner time... ie noon-ish.

Therefore, dinner cannot be an evening meal... so it's tea.

So there you have it.

Breakfast, Dinner, Tea.
I write words for a living. I play records for a living. Both of these thing should tell you that I'm a failed musician.