Nightmare Train Journey : This Morning

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Nightmare Train Journey : This Morning

Post by wovlad » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:15 pm

I caught the 8:25am train into M/cr this morning. Recently it has been a two carriage train rather than the standard four. Today it was four but it was already standing room only before the doors opened. The usual rugby scrum followed as people forced there were way on. With passengers wedged in like sardines the train set off. It was an uneventful journey until that is it stopped just outside Salford Crescent. We were held for about five minutes although it seemed longer, much longer. With little or no fresh air coming through. The temperature quickly hit sauna like levels. If you wanted to take your coat off you couldn't. There wasn't enough room to swing a fly let alone a cat. A few shouts were made asking people to open windows even though it was raining outside. This helped matters but only a little.

A girl near the doors. Complained that she was feeling faint. So faint in fact that she and her friend got off at Salford Crescent. There they had to push there were through the hordes trying to get on, in order to get off. I could still the girl she was leaning against the concrete pillar of the walkway. She sat down but got up again. I wanted to warn her friend that her mate would been better off staying sat down if she still felt dizzy. I could see it in her eyes that she wasn't with it. I was right her eyes rolled back and she keeled over. Her head appeared to hit the deck with a sickening thump. Loud enough to make a few passengers wince. I was going nowhere. I was more hemmed in than before as people moved to let others off. A couple of good samaritans near the doors managed to get off to help the girl. Only for them to have to hop back on the train as the whistle went. I just hope the hope the poor girl was all right. Its no the first time i've witnessed people faint on the trains and doubt it'll be the last

As far as I'm concerned .The privatisation of the railways has been an abject failure. Prices will continue to go up whilst the service declines. The stats they produce say otherwise but I'd say its worse now than 7 years ago. Unless the government realises that privatisation is the problem not the cure then we
are in big trouble. I'd go so far as to advocate a passengers strike. Whilst its financial effect on the rail companies would be minimal, due to season tickets etc. It would send out a clear message that the system isn't good enough

I still find it amazing that we have the second most expensive railway system in Europe. Only in Switzerland are people charged more and yet we have such an awful service. I'd also bet that the quality of service is better in Switzerland. As it is in France, Italy, Holland & Spain and I dare say most European countries.

That girl paid at least £4.50 for her ticket, if it was a return, and she ends up collapsed on the platform of a station she didn't want to be at. The mind boggles. Does anybody else suffer the day commute by train ?. What are your thoughts
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:18 pm

Sounds feckin awful. Get yersen a car.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:27 pm

I suffered this before now when I used to travel from Lostock to Manchester, I witnessed a couple of people passing out on the train and an elderly woman cracking her head on a pillar when she fainted but didn't actually fall to the ground because she was wedged with her head slumped on some strangers shoulder.

I've been crushed on the train had stuff fall off the overhead storage onto my head (now that was unlucky!) and groped by some sick perv who thought it would be an excellent opportunity to touch me up, I'd knock his fecking head off if I saw the nobber again.

Plus I was paying for this abuse.

I've jacked it in and I've driven for the last few years. I get stung on car parking in Manchester and petrol is pricey and I'm ruining the environment. But.... I'd rather sit in traffic in my own space listening to my rubbish boy bands warm and cozy with a seat.

Sorry world I'm not ever changing my mind.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:30 pm

Gertie wrote:and groped by some sick perv who thought it would be an excellent opportunity to touch me up, I'd knock his fecking head off if I saw the nobber again
Tis OK

I won't be doing it again

Too saggy for my liking :twisted:
Sto ut Serviam

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:33 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Gertie wrote:and groped by some sick perv who thought it would be an excellent opportunity to touch me up, I'd knock his fecking head off if I saw the nobber again
Tis OK

I won't be doing it again

Too saggy for my liking :twisted:
Yeah thanks for the lift :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:34 pm

Had a very similar journey on the Docklands Light Railway earlier this year. I'll never step foot it one again. I know exactly what you mean about Salford Crescent, I used to have to try and change there to get to Stockport. Most times the train would pull up and you physically couldn't get on. It's the car everywhere for me now. Our trains are little better than those on the sub-continent.
May the bridges I burn light your way

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Had a very similar journey on the Docklands Light Railway earlier this year.
Point of order

I have never touched up a bloke
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:36 pm

I do the Bolton/Oxford Road run every morning. Each bus is designed to give you three minutes to get to your train, but, since the buses are always late, you miss it. If the bus doessn't turn up (as happens quite a few times) you miss th next one the same way. When it finally arrives, as you said, it's like a rugby scrum to get on. Caught the 7-35 this morning (4-carriage airport train) and it was jam-packed when it arrived. Aso had to wait in a twelve people queue at one window in the ticket office, whilst two other guys in their chatted over their brews. Nightmare. I've been doing it daily for four years. The word "service" is a sick joke. Best trick is the famous "disappearing train act". One train is announced 15 minutes late. It is then scheduled to arrive at the same time/same platform, as the next. One turns up and no one knows the difference. Another classic is the "We are sory to announce that this train (for Manchester Airport) will now terminate at Picadilly. All passengers for Manchester airport.....tough!
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:40 pm

Welcome to the London transport network, every morning and night is as you describe, sweating through your shirt and getting touched up. It's horrfic really, but I wouldn't want to pay £8 to get to use the roads near work and the £35 to park my car in an NCP for the day...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Had a very similar journey on the Docklands Light Railway earlier this year. I'll never step foot it one again.
Look it was very full and as I said to the British Transport Police I had a banana in my pocket, that's all.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:45 pm

Is this touching up guaranteed?

Seems very good value at under a fiver
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:50 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Had a very similar journey on the Docklands Light Railway earlier this year. I'll never step foot it one again.
Look it was very full and as I said to the British Transport Police I had a banana in my pocket, that's all.
And I suppose you'll be telling the Mexican Police that it was your snorkel from Xel-Ha as well. I would, it worked for me. :mrgreen:
May the bridges I burn light your way

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:50 pm

I've had similar here in boston. Public Transprt will always be dodgy, but I couldnt consider driving. I am very proud of my 2 and 1/2 years commuting without a car.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:00 pm

The bolton Manchester trip in the morning bad - but then try getting the tram to Eccles!! No that's not fun!!

I sometimes commute from London or even work in the office down there as the better half works down there, so get the pleasure of using the victoria or northern lines, and it is palacial space compared to either the 8.25 from Bolton - stopped using that a couple of years ago it just got too much! (although for my sins I was on it this morning too) or the eccles tram from Deansgate!!

Public transport is cr@p
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:01 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Is this touching up guaranteed?

Being groped by Sweaty, stinky, old men???

Well whatever floats your candle??? :shock:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:04 pm

most mornings the above is applicable for me. i get on the only train all day to go from lostock to victoria and they send a pitiful 2 carriages which is never enough. couple of weeks back when TB was in town the train was stupidly full

its somert to do with only having a certain amount of carriages on certain stretches of track at any one time. don't fully understand it myself but health and safety related (aren't all things)

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:06 pm

Gertie wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Is this touching up guaranteed?

Being groped by Sweaty, stinky, old men???

Well whatever floats your candle??? :shock:
http://facelessbusinessman.blogspot.com ... -lide.html

I've posted this article about the Japanese commuters before, but its still feckin funny

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:16 pm

All those who'd rather sit in a traffic jam are making a rod for their own back. Traffic jams are no better than train delays, and I can't see how one can be more tolerable than another. Sooner or later the country is going to get gridlocked, yet the w*nkers off Top Gear seem to think it's OK to keep building new roads. It isn't.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:22 pm

I agree entirely Ratty, but sitting in a car means I don't have some dirty strange man rubbing his nob against my back or rubbing their mucky hand against me, then the car wins everytime for me.

I feel safe, secure, warm and I have a seat to myself. It's a selfish attitue I know, but going to work is bad enough without feeling suicidal before I even get there.

I think some work places should do more to get people to work from home. Some senior people in the organisation do it, plus some working mothers. With e-mail etc I think it really is a viable option.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:26 pm

Gertie wrote:I think some work places should do more to get people to work from home. Some senior people in the organisation do it, plus some working mothers. With e-mail etc I think it really is a viable option.
I'm all for this. With people moving swiftly into the Blackberry generation anyway, and not being able to leave their work at home then its happening anyway, just at 9pm at night instead. The top echelons at work frequently do it as do some people with children. Frankly I don't see why people who don't have children are discriminated against in this way.

Bloody hell, that sounded a bit PC!