Bright lights of Broadway (Farnworth, that is)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Bright lights of Broadway (Farnworth, that is)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:43 pm

Don't go "on the town" much these days; prefer a jar or two and a bit of decent music at home with friends. Last night, donned the full regalia, grabbed the wife and a couple of our friends and tangoed out for a change. Dear, oh dear. I'm a bit past "Icons and Ritzys" and more at home with Tango than body-popping, but FXXXXXG hell. .

First stop, Hawker Sidley Social Club. Usually have an artist or two and the beer's reasonable. Got there to find a convention of Barbie doll admirers there for a private party. Disco mania for twelve year olds and their grandmas. Humph. Took a pint in the "games room", framed,signed shirts on the walls. Sale Sharks, an England shirt and a ...Bury shirt. Not a Whites one in sight. Drank up and left on principle. BURY!!?

Got to Farnworth Labour Club. Had to be buzzed in and nealy died laughing as I got through the door. It's two flights up and they've installed AN ELECTRIC CHAIR LIFT. FFS. Now I know the elderly like to go out, and also they need catering for, but the sight of that made me realise just what's left for anyone over forty who isn't suffering from second-childhood syndrome.
Three sessions of bingo, a game of "Play your cards right" (kid you not) and more blue rinses than Blackburn on a good day at Ewood. At least the beer prices, a Brummie comedien and a decent guitarist who knew a life before Britney Speers and
rap managed to salvage part of the night. The rest, well, if that's the bright lights I'd sooner stay home and watch Robin Hood (yes, that bad). What happened to life after forty? :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:50 pm

so you didn't go to chuffers then?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

boltonboris wrote:so you didn't go to chuffers then?
At 67? Er, no. :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:58 pm

Tango. As I recall, only the other day you were confirming the notion that life actually begins at forty. Having just turned 40 missen I took great heart from you and your 27 year experience of said situation. Now you come out with this!! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Tango. As I recall, only the other day you were confirming the notion that life actually begins at forty. Having just turned 40 missen I took great heart from you and your 25 year experience of said situation. Now you come out with this!! :shock:
Well, I haven't been out for a while Bruce. :mrgreen: Fear not, you've got ways to go yet mate.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Bright lights of Broadway (Farnworth, that is)

Post by malcd1 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Don't go "on the town" much these days; prefer a jar or two and a bit of decent music at home with friends. Last night, donned the full regalia, grabbed the wife and a couple of our friends and tangoed out for a change. Dear, oh dear. I'm a bit past "Icons and Ritzys" and more at home with Tango than body-popping, but FXXXXXG hell. .

First stop, Hawker Sidley Social Club. Usually have an artist or two and the beer's reasonable. Got there to find a convention of Barbie doll admirers there for a private party. Disco mania for twelve year olds and their grandmas. Humph. Took a pint in the "games room", framed,signed shirts on the walls. Sale Sharks, an England shirt and a ...Bury shirt. Not a Whites one in sight. Drank up and left on principle. BURY!!?

Got to Farnworth Labour Club. Had to be buzzed in and nealy died laughing as I got through the door. It's two flights up and they've installed AN ELECTRIC CHAIR LIFT. FFS. Now I know the elderly like to go out, and also they need catering for, but the sight of that made me realise just what's left for anyone over forty who isn't suffering from second-childhood syndrome.
Three sessions of bingo, a game of "Play your cards right" (kid you not) and more blue rinses than Blackburn on a good day at Ewood. At least the beer prices, a Brummie comedien and a decent guitarist who knew a life before Britney Speers and
rap managed to salvage part of the night. The rest, well, if that's the bright lights I'd sooner stay home and watch Robin Hood (yes, that bad). What happened to life after forty? :evil:
Oh and I thought I lived life in the fast lane. Pass me my slippers and smoking jacket Jeeves. :wink:

Stay at home in future Tango. It's the new going out. 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:28 pm

I can see I'll have to invite you to 'Strictly Come Drinking'!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bright lights of Broadway (Farnworth, that is)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:49 pm

malcd1 wrote:

Oh and I thought I lived life in the fast lane. Pass me my slippers and smoking jacket Jeeves. :wink: Stay at home in future Tango. It's the new going out. 8)
Been "going out" since I was sixteen Malcd1. Drunk the bars dry, danced the nights away, been married three times and you lot are'n't going to do anything I haven't already done or see anything I haven't seen. The body gets older but the mind still lives in Peter Pan Land. :mrgreen:

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:50 pm

You missed the Top Cricket CLub and the Vets........ I wonder why I moved away.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:59 pm

Is Blighty's still ther, Tango? :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Is Blighty's still ther, Tango? :mrgreen:
What, you mean The Monaco's shut? :mrgreen: