pearce or the fat waiter??

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

pearce or the fat waiter??

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 pm

so who's right..

The fat waiter - who wants more protection for goalies (he was complaining that Liverpool conceded a couple of goals last season when the goalie was just about to catch it when a big nasty striker came and headed it in - outrageous!!!)

or

Pearce - who reckons goalies get too much protection already... and when asked whether goalies should wear headgear - he said, nah - managers maybe...

I think I'm with Pearce on this one...

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:24 pm

benitez always talks out of his fat greasy behind - period
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:30 pm

Pearce. Horrible as Cech's injury is, it's a rarity.

The likes of Wenger and Benitez won't be happy until football's a non contact sport.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:39 pm

I wouldnt protest head gear, more people should use it. However, Pearce by a mile. Footballers today are wusses.

eric snookes
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: pearce or the fat waiter??

Post by eric snookes » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:41 pm

thebish wrote:
Pearce - who reckons goalies get too much protection already... and when asked whether goalies should wear headgear - he said, nah - managers maybe...

I think I'm with Pearce on this one...
Big Sam has said exactly the same that keepers are already over-protected.

So I vote Sam! :wink:
You think it's bad now

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:56 pm

Yes, I read Sam on it too. Pearce and Sam.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:14 pm

Keepres are over protected full stop. Its a mans game. Long live Nat Lofthouse charging Harry Greg into the net...Long live the Great Lever end chucking snowballs at (I have no idea who this was, think it was in 94/95 though)...

Ban Benitez from opening his mouth! And Mourinhio. God that would give the papers something to think about it wouldn't it?

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:22 pm

I was a keeper in my years of Lower League and Sunday League footie.

And the things is those top tier keepers are overly wussified. When I remember the assaults I had to put up in those godforsaken Spanish fields without even getting a foul signaled... Forwards go in with everything blazing, and keepers are supposed to answer in kind to defend ourselves. The box is a battlefield.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:14 am

Mourinho and Rafa can go shag themselves.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Enzo Gambaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Enzo Gambaro » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:34 am

What has happened to Cech is a freak incident which has been blown out of all proportion because of who his manager is. If we start saying that goalkeepers should wear headguards, then we can move that onto outfield players due to clashes of heads, which happen far more often. Then what? Use the examples of Luc Nilis, David Busst etc to insist that players wear padding on their legs?
ImageFor further information on:- Dean Holdsworth Call Celeb Agents on 0870 765 9696

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:14 am

I'm all for headgear for goalkeepers - as that would make Jens Lehmann look an even a bigger nice person.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:02 am

Enzo Gambaro wrote: Then what? Use the examples of Luc Nilis, David Busst etc to insist that players wear padding on their legs?
yeah, some sort of pad perhaps, fitted over the shin. That would be ridiculous!
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:06 am

Hang on a second, we can't possibly be wanting to cover up the loverly Jussi!!!!???? That would be rubbish, how can we admire his beautifulness or his haircut??

Wrong.

Sky Sports News did a piece a few days after the incident, which showed 2 lower league keepers getting head injuries during their games and being carried off for treatment. I can't remember the teams involved, but obviously not a peep was said. If Mourhinio and the likes were sooooooo bothered about contact they should have piped up then, but it appears that it didn't bother them then, so they should keep their big whiney mouths shut now.
Last edited by Gertie on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:09 am

sounds like we'd be best not winding Gertie up today fellas!! :shock:
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:26 am

I agree with Pearce, how many times do you see free kicks for absolutely nothing on the keeper, even when they make mistakes!

England have felt the wrath of that a couple of times
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:38 am

If keepers took the Barry Siddall approach, not many forwards would come near

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:04 am

Top class, fifty grand a week footballers needing protection? Never wore shin guards after junior school, been kicked in the head, lifted twenty feet by a gorilla goalkeeper and took a penalty and scored with a knee that kept popping out (turned out to be a cruciate ligament). Eventually got banned from playing by a physio who said if I played again I'd be a cripple for life.
All for fun as it was amateur football.

Bunch of overpaid pansies. Time for the weak refs and the F.A to get their acts together and get a grip of the rules of football. Make em and enforce em. Maurinho, Fergusson and their like rule football, not the F.A. Get a few three-month bans in place for blatant stuff, ala the Citeh assassin, instead of pocket money fines and the game would soon right itself. Is there a rule protecting players from thugs like Lehman?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:20 am

communistworkethic wrote:
Enzo Gambaro wrote: Then what? Use the examples of Luc Nilis, David Busst etc to insist that players wear padding on their legs?
yeah, some sort of pad perhaps, fitted over the shin. That would be ridiculous!

I heard an ancient Bolton footballer (I forget who) recount a story about how they'd got to the away game and forgotten the shin pads. The boot-boy had been sent down to the charity shop to buy a dozen thinpaperbacks - Mills & Boon, I think - which were then stuffed down the socks and used as shin-pads.

has anyone else heard this story.. I sometimes wonder whether I dreamt it - or whether it is an urban myth - told about many clubs..

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:35 pm

of course Pearce is right (and not just cos we share the same super surname :mrgreen: )

we want proper good old english football, without these whinging foreign pretty boys and their not-so-pretty managers trying to turn it into a non-contact sprt (to use warthog's words)

clashes and injuries are part of the game. yes sometimes they're nasty, but this is a risk known and accepted by all who take part
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:37 pm

At the end of the day not only do keepers have an advantage being 7 foot tall but also they can use their bloody hands! they shouldnt need protection and if they get out muscled in a jump or their run blocked, so be it.