too early for an ashes thread??

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:55 am

cowdrill wrote:Flintoff - DUCK

:whack: :whack: :whack:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:56 am

chris wrote:To avoid the follow on, Bell/Flintoff need to last the day
If Flintoff goes soon, I can't see us making 250.

:( :(

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:57 am

Christ alive. We're in the shit.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:58 am

PLEASE RAIN!!

I know that's near impossible.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:58 am

this is turning into total embarrasement now

150 is looking optimistic!
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:01 am

If the test is still going when i wake up i'd be suprised.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:08 am

cowdrill wrote: 150 is looking optimistic!
The way they are going (although Pietersens' LBW was doubtful) they'll be lucky to make 100.

2-30 in one hour of the first session. Sheesh.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:13 am

Dujon wrote:
cowdrill wrote: 150 is looking optimistic!
The way they are going (although Pietersens' LBW was doubtful) they'll be lucky to make 100.

2-30 in one hour of the first session. Sheesh.
And Lees ball to dismiss Flintoff was a no ball

But these are the things that happen

One thing I do find petty though is the convicts splitting the barmies up and threatening to nick the bugler

Soft bstards
Sto ut Serviam

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:37 am

CAPSLOCK wrote: One thing I do find petty though is the convicts splitting the barmies up and threatening to nick the bugler

Soft bstards
There was a lot of articles in press here, just prior to when the tickets were first put up for sale, as to how they were going to prevent the Barmy Army getting many tickets and how they were going to split them up around the ground. The excuse made at that time was the very bad way that Cricket Australia believed that Aussie supporters had been treated in England last year. Sour grapes as far as I could see on the part of the Aussies, as they want to/have to win at any cost or will lose a lot of face with the public here, as it would be humiliating for them to not to win at home.

As to the dubious decisions against some English batsmen, it is not unusual for home decisions to be made here as the Aussie team appeal for anything, even when they know that the batsman is not out. Has happend against NZ, SA, etc, etc in recent times. Comes down to winning at any cost again.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:16 am

As best I can gather the 'Army' was advised about the bugling well prior to the game. The 'Gabba has had a ban on musical instruments (and drums) for some time. It also has a total ban on smoking. No doubt they make a quid out of beer concessions though. :wink:

Interesting pitch as well; it only plays for the bowlers when England are batting - funny about that. Nice to see McGrath come through well. I did wonder about his well being after his longish layoff due to his wife's cancer.

I must comment on Jones. I think his keeping has been top class, especially as seeing him during the last series I felt he was highly suspect. Bell too impressed; he's come along very nicely - I'm looking forward to seeing him playing in the rest of the series.

Overall a pretty dismal day for England. Was it Harmison who copped the ball on his lower forearm? Blimey that must have hurt!

The game is not yet over. When will Ponting declare Australia's second innings closed? Will he leave sufficient time to bowl out England? Can England find a bit of grit and grind out a draw? Will the weather intervene? (Hardly likely at the moment).

While on current form it seems most unlikely - come on England, a bit of the bulldog spirit please.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:51 am

I'm amazed they didn't enforce the follow on. There's a faint glimmer of hope of a draw.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:05 am

Yeah, i don't know why Ponting didn't just get it over with. We were hardly likely to last two and a half days batting, or get anywhere near 600 runs. Maybe his overconfidence will put some fire in the lads bellies and we battle out a draw. Which at this stage, would feel like a win.

Doubt it though.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:09 am

I don't know why - maybe it's because I care less - but I am eternally optimistic about English cricket (despite the evidence) and more often then not pessimistic about Bolton.

even now there is a part of my brain trying to convince me that we could bat out the best part of two days - why not? - and there's a part of my brain saying "yeah! he's right you know.."

and there's a part of my brain receiving signals from my optic nerve suggesting that those men in white coats who have just pulled up outside my house in the van are coming to take me away... (haha hehe)

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:36 pm

My hope now is that we can get a few of the top Australian batters out (!) to get some confidence, which might get us through the rest of the test. I cannot see Ponting batting far beyond lunch; we'd struggle to maintain the required run rate at the moment, even if our batters could stay in.

I too, am overoptimistic

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:32 am

They've already declared. I've lost all hope.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:37 am

Yes. As soon as Langer attained his century, Ponting called it off.

Virtually two days to bat for England; a very tough call. Going into one's shell is not going to help, in fact against the Aussie bowlers it could result in a debacle. I think 'steady as she goes', don't take silly risks and clobber the balls that are there for the taking is the only approach.

I sincerely hope that the top end can hold together and, at minimum, take the game into the fifth day.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:48 am

There won't be a fifth day

Billy Bowdens arthur is playing up

He's convinced we're in for a full days rain tomorrow

Now, that would be ironic

Mind you, most of the rain could probably find a home for itself in the cracks

Could you imagine the whinging if we prepareda Lords pitch like that

As for the non enforcement of the follow on, it's been suggested its to do with the ACB needing the gate money
Sto ut Serviam

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:23 am

I don't know how you can whinge about the track. All teams prepare pitches for themselves and England only have themselves to blame; the cracks we there for the aussies second innings and the England attack didn't hit any of them and the batsmen for playing stupid shots; Strauss out with the same shot in both innings, Collingwood misses century advancing down the wicket to Warne when saving the game is the priority not runs, Flintoff threw his wicket away with another stupid shot.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:48 am

Defeat is inevitable, we were never going to bat through for 2 full days. Good knock by Colly nonetheless. Hope Silly Billy is right. :D
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:55 pm

A good fight back regardless of the end result. At least it shows that England can bat when they put their collective minds to it (watch, now I've said that they'll fall in a heap this morning).

An ugly display by Warne yesterday. He seems to me like a spoiled brat; everything's OK until he comes up against batsmen who keep him toiling away without any result (I loved the contemptuous padding away of his attempts to snag a big turner from the footmarks). The throwing of the ball directly at (Collimore?) the batsman was disgusting, no wonder he copped an earful from him - if it had been me on the receiving end I suspect he'd have had my bat wrapped around his earhole and stuff the consequences. Petulant little poppet. When he did get a wicket he behaved almost as badly with his gobbing off and sarcastic vertical clapping. As a bowler he is very good, as a man I have no time for him. I doubt he knows what the word 'sportsmanship' means.

What Collimore was doing when he went down the pitch to blast Warne into the upper deck of the stands I have no idea. It seemed to be a premeditated move - perhaps he wanted to bring up his century in style. Whatever, when your aim is to protect your wicket at all costs, it was a bit silly. Is he prone to blood rushes? From what I've seen of him he's normally a level headed type - not a bad batsman either.

Lots of criticism in the press of Ponting's decision to not enforce the follow on. I think he was giving his bowlers a rest - he only has four of them - and, perhaps (though I have nothing to substantiate the suggestion), McGrath already had a problem with his heel at that time. OK, I'm making excuses for him; maybe CAPSLOCK is right in his suggestion that the powers that be wanted the game to go to the fifth day for commercial reasons. Given that many of the Australian games have over the last few years only run to four days I'm sure that the bean counters would have factored into their calculations that possibility.

About an hour before start of play. We can but wait and see.