too early for an ashes thread??

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:02 am

Bedtime

Someone turn out the lights

Roll on Adelaide
Sto ut Serviam

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:36 am

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned my misgivings. Pietersen and Jones gone.

As CAPS said, Adelaide here we come.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:50 am

It'll be worth staying up for Harmisons mental batting. Almost as insane as his bowling!
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:42 am

Dujon wrote:A good fight back regardless of the end result. At least it shows that England can bat when they put their collective minds to it (watch, now I've said that they'll fall in a heap this morning).
I promise here and now not to try pondering on the course of any other test match in this series. Sorry everyone.

Enzo Gambaro
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Enzo Gambaro » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:12 am

Why?????? What idiotic part of me remained optimistic during the last couple of days of this test? Why, when I'm the ultimate pessimist when it comes to football, did a crazy part of me continue to stay up in the ridiculous belief that we could still take something out of a game that was lost after two sessions on the first afternoon?????

Did some sado-masochistic part of me long to see the smug, evil face of Glenn McGrath in the after-match celebrations, prompting me to throw my remote control at the TV in disgust?

If Monty doesn't play next week, they deserve everything they get.
ImageFor further information on:- Dean Holdsworth Call Celeb Agents on 0870 765 9696

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:27 am

Enzo Gambaro wrote:
I know we are desperate but is shipping over a librarian from Canada really the solution??
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:13 pm

If Duncan Fletcher wanted a stronger lower order why not play Mahmood instead of Anderson? Its debatable whether Anderson is a better bowler than him but Mahmood is certainly a better batsmen, then you'd have room for Panesar instead of Giles.

Fact is, you need 20 wickets to win a test match, not a handy 20 from the number 8!
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:40 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Enzo Gambaro wrote:
I know we are desperate but is shipping over a librarian from Canada really the solution??
I might have outscored Freddie in the first innings - might have - but probably not :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:24 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 190344.stm

So the aussies are going for one spinner. Should we go for two?

Over the summer, i felt that in the bowling department we where pretty good, and the batting was letting us down, but with Harmison shopwing no confidence what so ever, should he be dropped, and should be playing 2 spinners? Or should we risk Harimson and perhaps drop Anderson?

http://home.skysports.com/ashes/article ... +will+play

edit ; well this answers my own question then!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:16 pm

Unchanged team for the Second Test.

:?

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:22 pm

good grief... :roll:

is Glen Mcgrath playing do we know? :|
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:04 am

It would appear so, Cowdrill.

England win toss and elect to bat.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:13 am

We decided to turn up this time then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 157281.stm

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:37 am

Mmmm...

But that Paul Collingwood just aint good enough for this level of creeckeeeet, eh Geoffrey?? :wink:

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:39 am

More like it from the boy's, must say its disappointing that the openers are still failing, and still no Monty, we could score 500 and still not win as we don't really have a chance of taking 20 wickets in the match with the current form we are showing!!

Watched a bit this morning and although they weren't taking any wickets Warne and more importantly - seeing Warne could get turn on an ice rink - Clarke were getting some turn! Monty should be in!!

Also this Stuart Clark looks like a real gem (as well as a bit like our own Simon Jones) - a bit of a young McGrath which is a worry
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:59 pm

im expecting the usual middle order collapse

:mrgreen:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:08 pm

Come on - a bit of optimism, please.

Certainly it was a shaky start, but from my viewpoint the wickets that fell were due to batsman error (what the hell was Bell doing?) rather than bowler intrigue and tactics.

All the pundits are saying that the wicket is a batsman's paradise, and they could well be right as I didn't see a ball swing and only one or two get up unexpectedly during the time I was watching. Warne did though manage to get the ball working with his leggies but there was little evidence of any other of his tweaks doing much. Lee was wayward and somewhat expensive, which isn't all that unusual for him, but at least he did get Bell's wicket (for what that's worth) while Warne and McGrath, Australia's mainstay bowlers, finished with nothing although, to their credit, they were nice and tight.

If Pietersen and Collingwood can get their eye in this morning without any silly strokes then the Aussies could be in for a long day in the field. Of course, if they don't, heaven only knows what will transpire (Freddy's hardly been the run machine we'd thought he would be). I hope that I am wrong but I don't see Jones, Giles and 'the rest' doing anything special.

Some of Ponting's field placements yesterday were unusual. I don't think the Aussies missed out on wickets because of them but they looked incredibly defensive for a first day. I am not going to castigate him for those tactics though as I think he might have a little more experience of the Adelaide pitches than do I.

I am quite looking forward to today's play and intend to spend the odd hour or two watching the game unfold. It should be interesting.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:38 am

Brilliant day.
310 for the fourth wicket - I actually have genuine hope this time of victory.
Good declaration choice with an Aussie wicket before the close as well.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:05 am

Yes great batting, loads of runs but do we have the attack to actually take all 10 aussies wickets twice over? I'm concerned Freddy is our only real strike bowler.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:35 am

Pride restored :grin:

Tonight is crucial though, attack attack attack!