we will remember them..

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

we will remember them..

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:43 am

Some folk have mentioned relatives they will be rememberereinbg today - people who told them what it was like and shared memories that make today special...

here's two of mine, and an invitation for anyone else to add theirs...

here's one I never met... Pte. Frederick Nevard of the 2nd Battalion of the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) at Nilgris, Madras. Died Sept 15th 1916

Buried at Thiepval Memorial, France

And here's my Uncle Mick McManus 2nd Sept. 1922 - 23rd July 2000 (I conducted the funeral) - navigator in WW2 with a lancaster Crew. I've been in a Lancaster navigator seat - it's scary enough in a museum on the ground - never mind flying over Germany with ant-aircraft fire and fighter pilots firing stuff at you.....

he was a navigator and (as you can see) all-round ladies man!! (not the wrestler)

My grandad worked down the pit - which was seen as an essential industry - and just as dangerous back then!!

I will remember them
RIP

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:05 pm

REAL heroes

8) :pray:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:47 pm

No photo's from me but I am remembering:

My Dad, Thomas Newton. Born 1900 in Widnes and died 1964 in Bolton having been a career soldier all his working life. Joined the the Cheshire Regiment, 52nd battalion, in 1917 and arrived in France just as the war was ending. Demobbed in 1919 and joined the Prince of wales Territorial Force. In 1937 was embodied back into the regulars and remained in service all through the second world war in various theatres, most notably in Burma Ceylon and India, attaining the rank of Company Sergeant Major. After demob he joined the TA and remained in until final demob in 1952. I had all his medals but they were stolen in 1971 during a house move. Whilst chasing up his medal record with the Army Medal Office I was sent a resume of his army career or otherwise I wouldn't have known a damn thing about him!

My uncle, Norris Peak. served 2nd Battalion Royal Marines, 43 Commando. Died 2002 after a particularly nasty swift cancer got hold of him. Served throughout the second war and was at Anzio fighting his way up through Italy rather than D-Day and down through France. Wounded several times. His exploits are told in the book "Nothing Much To Lose" published in 1992.

Both in my thoughts this weekend.

Incidentally, I'm climbing Great Gable tomorrow to attend the Remembrance service held every year on the summit. Usually between 300 and 500 attend depending on the weather.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:39 pm

My father volunteered in 1939 and was a lieutenant in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers during WW2 - basically he fixed broken and damaged tanks. Invalided out in late 1944 or early '45.

His uncle had a more colourful career. Before WW! he played hockey and lacrosse for England (you will find him in the OED as an example under the last dedfinition of the word "slow" :oops: ). He was an officer with the Territorial Battalion of the East Lancs Regiment and rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel. He was wounded at Passchendale (3rd Ypres) and awarded the DSO which I now have. When WW2 came round he volunteered for the army again and they told him he was too old. So he joined the RAF who were quite new as a service arm and not so fussy. Starting out as an aircraftman, he eventually rose to the rank of Squadron Leader, flying, as he put it, a desk (he was in charge of one of the south coast aerodromes).

There are so many others too who sacrificed so much. I was born in the war so grew up talking to many veterans and was taught by them at school. So many stories that I won't forget. So many comrades they had who did not come back.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:46 pm

:pray:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:45 pm

Grandad and Great Uncle in WWII. Think the Great Uncle lost his life at DDay. Hence why my father is named after him. Many warm wishes and thanks to those who have served.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:46 pm

Bump - Armistice Day tomorrow

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:53 pm

My dad served all through WWII and was at Dunkirk. The boats in front and behind his were sunk on their way home and he lost some mates in them. Would never even talk about the war and his experiences. Was never a well man after demob and died at 52. R.I.P.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:48 pm

Both my grandfathers served but neither saw any trench combat etc, but rather were used elsewhere and thus survived without injury. Maternal grandfather was an engineer in the RAF that repaired and maintained Lancaster bombers somewhere in this country, Paternal grandfather was sent to Canada of all places, seems rather out the way to me!

I don't know about any family members serving in WW1, I imagine there were but don't think there were any deaths as it would've been mentioned.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:02 pm

Like TANGO, my father was at the evacuation of Dunkirk. He also said little about it, other than it was awful witnessing lines of men in the water being strafed and ships and little boats being struck by bombs. He was a sapper with the R.E.s doing, in the main, survey work (he was a surveyor) and in Europe helping with the construction of Bailey bridges (whilst the enemy snipers took pot shots from the other side). He also served in Italy at some point - I have no idea as to when - and landed at Normandy the day after D-Day.

My father-in-law was an RAAF pilot (seconded to the RAF as best I can gather) who flew spitfires and finished up as a pilot training officer in Canada (possibly Calgary?) and also at, I believe, Scapa Flow.

Both of them survived. My father died in 1977 at the age of 59. My father-in-law followed but a few years later at age 63.

I often think of both of them and what they must have gone through during those years.

In just over an hour I'll stop work for a couple of minutes and consider how lucky I am, and think yet again of the young men on both sides of an argument who died because the leaders of their respective countries felt the necessity to use them as 'cannon fodder'; whatever the skirmish, the battle or the war.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Re: we will remember them..

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:07 pm

thebish wrote:

And here's my Uncle Mick McManus 2nd Sept. 1922 - 23rd July 2000
without wanting to hijack a worthwhile thread - not THE Mick McManus?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:16 pm

i'll be stopping in memory of them all.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:51 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
thebish wrote:

Different date of birth according to Wiki -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_McManus

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:56 pm

sluffy wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
thebish wrote:

Different date of birth according to Wiki -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_McManus
And he's not dead.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:42 am

Private Harry Williams 20321, 15th Battalion Welsh Regiment. Killed at Mametz Wood (Somme) July 10 1916, aged 23.

From Ormerod Street Bolton. Parishioner at St Peter & Paul's RC church. No known grave. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial. My grandad's brother.

We will remember them.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Missed this thread before the date, but these things stay with us all forever. Rest in peace, and thank you.

DSB (whose grandfather was imprisoned in Burma)