RIP Puskas

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

RIP Puskas

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:15 am

ought to be marked somewhere...

(one or two members are old enough to remember him!)

Ferenc Puskas - the "little fat chap" died today - Hungarian Legend, put England to the sword!!

R.I.P.

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:58 am

Seen him a lot in old films. He was called "Little Cannon" here due to his unstoppable shot. One of the few Real players I'll openly confess that I admire :oops:

RIP

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:59 pm

He certainly beat some goalies in his career. His career average is very close to 1 goal per game. Quite astonishing - even more so given that he played close to 1000 games for his clubs and countries. Regretably I haven't seen him play but he must have been something to watch.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:04 pm

I did see him play on TV for Hungary (we got our first tv in May 1953 in time for the Mathews Cup Final and the Coronation - the 6-3 slaughter was the first international we saw :cry: )and Real with di Stefano. Powerful combination.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:46 am

A truly remarkable footballer, but does anyone know how come he came to represent Spain on four occasions despite having played 85 games for Hungary? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:03 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:A truly remarkable footballer, but does anyone know how come he came to represent Spain on four occasions despite having played 85 games for Hungary? :conf:
I always assumed it was on residency grounds. FIFA.com says...
In 1961, at the age of 34, Puskas took up Spanish nationality and went on to play four times for his adopted country team at the 1962 FIFA World Cup in Chile. In his brief spell with La Roja, he played in two wins, one draw and one defeat.
Wikipeadia says he left Hungary on political grounds, one assumes the rise of communism was not to his taste.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:12 am

International rules were far more lax back then, Kubala, another of the hungarian greats, played for 4 different countries in his life. Franco's regime was known to give Spanish nationality almost automatically to great footballers (Puskas, Kubala, Di Stefano) in order to raise the team's profile.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:47 am

Here are a couple of goals I've found on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU4K12SpDzo

Same goal from different camera angle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU4K12SpDzo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE_8lari44w

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Good work, Malc.

I do believe that that's the legendary Billy Wright that he's making a monkey of on there. I believe that there weren't many that got to do that.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:42 pm

Thanks, Malc. Crikey he didn't half hit the leather. That was effectively a dead ball situation and he belted it on the turn - no wonder they called him The Cannon.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Good work, Malc.

I do believe that that's the legendary Billy Wright that he's making a monkey of on there. I believe that there weren't many that got to do that.
Yes, it was Billy - captain, left half and the only player with over a hundred caps when I was a kid. Course, he played for Wolves and I hated them. For some reason, though Nat was the 1953 footballer of the year, he didn't play that game - injured?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:23 pm

Knocks up another great Hungarian name and team mate of Puskas; Hiddejkute (sp). Seems a long time ago now. Hungary were a real force in that era.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Good work, Malc.
It was indeed the great Billy Wright. That lunge he made as Puskas waltzed around him led to the the unforgettable comment from a leading football journalist of the day that "Wright looked like a fireman rushing to the wrong fire". Sweet!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:18 am

A little known photo of the great Puskas with a Barça shirt :pray: