Internet Security

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Internet Security

Post by cowdrill » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:23 pm

Advice please.

I use Norton and i dont really want to buy the new version next year because the customer service is worse than BWFC's and i have heard there are free programs you can download which are even better.

Does anybody use AVG free or Avast? and would you say they are adequate replacements for Norton?

ta! :D
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:56 pm

AVG is the dog's bollox - and doesn't take over tour entire machine like Norton (spit!) does...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Internet Security

Post by a1 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:59 pm

avg free is awesome , spybot search and destroy too...
Last edited by a1 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:59 pm

so i hear

sounds to good to be true though

buy a program for £50 or use a totally free one!?

there must be a catch surely

but 99% of people seem to think AVG is er....the dogs testicles?! :shock:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:01 pm

the catch is they give you a free one and you'll like it enough to buy their full version ..

oh and the less bad crap on the internet the better ...

norton av is more like spyware nowadays , in fact i read some story where you cannot have norton av and spybot search and destroy on the same machine norton 'advises' you to tek ss&d off as its incompatable with it (on purpose ) and symantec [norton] wont fix it...
Last edited by a1 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:02 pm

yeah! like thats gonna happen! :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:05 pm

Yep fully certified member of the AVG fan club too.

Use Zone Alarm as my firewall too.

Freefreefree!

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:07 pm

well the xp service pack 2 has a firewall built in

and i use spywareblaster, Ad-aware and Superantispyware free too

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:10 pm

the windows firewall only blocks incoming crap , zonealarm free blocks 'outgoing' shit too ...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:12 pm

cowdrill wrote:well the xp service pack 2 has a firewall built in

yeah - but have you got sandbags round the pc and a machine-gun turret on top?? eh? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:30 pm

a1 wrote:the windows firewall only blocks incoming crap , zonealarm free blocks 'outgoing' shit too ...
A1 - Yooz is a clood up chap (can you see what I did there? :wink: )

How the Dickens do I put a stop to the amount of shite that I receive in my Inbox every day? :conf:

I'm that fecked off with it that I'm considering changing service provider, email address and the whole shebang!!!!
May the bridges I burn light your way

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: How the Dickens do I put a stop to the amount of shite that I receive in my Inbox every day? :conf:

I'm that fecked off with it that I'm considering changing service provider, email address and the whole shebang!!!!

well i think Norton must be good at that cos i use Hotmail and NEVER get shite in my Inbox! Ever!

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:36 pm

thebish wrote:
cowdrill wrote:well the xp service pack 2 has a firewall built in

yeah - but have you got sandbags round the pc and a machine-gun turret on top?? eh? :wink:
course

i just need the bullet proof visor for my screen and im safe as houses 8)

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
a1 wrote:the windows firewall only blocks incoming crap , zonealarm free blocks 'outgoing' shit too ...
A1 - Yooz is a clood up chap (can you see what I did there? :wink: )

How the Dickens do I put a stop to the amount of shite that I receive in my Inbox every day? :conf:

Try Mailwasher

I used it successfully for a while before my ISP got it's act together and started to block a lot of the rubbish I was receiving.

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:55 pm

I use Norton av.

Zonealarm.

Spybot.

Spywareblaster.

Adaware.

Norton has never given me any probs, or compatabillity issues with any other programs.
I am not saying that it is the Dogs doo dahs, just that I have not had any probs with it.
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:11 pm

can we fit one of those on SH's machine?? :wink:

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:19 pm

BITCHY!!! :twisted:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:28 pm

I use Norton anti-virus but not the full 'suite'. It works well. There was a time a few years ago that I refused to use it as my tests proved it to be ineffective. Symantec have got their act together since then. Some of my customers use AVG but at least one of them still copped a virus which meant a significant amount of time fixing the darned thing and he a few bob. Unfortunately he's gone back to AVG after all my (free, he's a friend) trouble. The infection produced a trojan which then began to eat up his allocated bandwidth though I don't know what it was doing - possibly using his machine as a dumb reflector for squillions of e-mails. He was losing between 21Mb and 35Mb per hour when his machine was connected; luckily he doesn't leave on his machine 24-hours a day, even though he has DSL broadband. Incidentally - I think his infection arrived via a download of 'Skype', though I cannot prove that and, unfortunately, he could not tell me from whence he downloaded it.

I too use Zone Alarm Free, which seems to work well, in conjunction with a hardware router-cum-firewall and I scan my system once a week with AdAware (the free one). The combination of that lot seems satisfactory for my requirements. Naturally I keep the anti-virus files up to date at all times and do a full scan once a week for peace of mind.

Fortunately my ISP has reasonable spam filters at its end of the connection so I only get an average of three or four rubbish e-mails per day. While they are a nuisance it's hardly a burden to zap the devils. I received a couple of e-mails the other day which managed to circumvent the ISP's system and which were carrying viruses - Norton's handled them for me.