The Road Cycling Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:49 pm

jimbo wrote:Best way to get back to wherever you're staying is to ride. Same as getting to the start. The area around the finish is packed so finding any transport or arranging for someone to meet you to bring you home is a nightmare. Better to ride the 5 miles or so back to base. It has the added benefit of loosening the legs off a little as well.

Thought as much, just thinking about the family.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:37 am

How's the riding going AG? Got my confirmed place for London in the ballot yesterday. I wasn't holding out too much hope in doing it this year and only entered the ballot on the last day. I've taken charity places before but wasn't planning on this time as it can be a lot of extra work trying to raise any money. Anyway, excited to get the place again and it'll give me another focus for the season ahead. Aiming to go sub 5hrs this year which on current form should be well within reach.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:18 am

jimbo wrote:How's the riding going AG? Got my confirmed place for London in the ballot yesterday. I wasn't holding out too much hope in doing it this year and only entered the ballot on the last day. I've taken charity places before but wasn't planning on this time as it can be a lot of extra work trying to raise any money. Anyway, excited to get the place again and it'll give me another focus for the season ahead. Aiming to go sub 5hrs this year which on current form should be well within reach.

Sub 5 hours for 100 miles? Wow!

I've been out the last few weekends and done up to 90km. Admittedly I've stopped a couple of times but my average is still only about 15 miles per hour. You're looking to be over 20mph?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Managed 5hr 11 last year and I'm currently a good way ahead fitness wise this year. Theres absolutely no way I could manage those speeds usually but the fct it's closed roads and largely group riding make such a difference. Plus i didn't have to do a little run of swim before it ;)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:10 pm

jimbo wrote:Managed 5hr 11 last year and I'm currently a good way ahead fitness wise this year. Theres absolutely no way I could manage those speeds usually but the fct it's closed roads and largely group riding make such a difference. Plus i didn't have to do a little run of swim before it ;)

True. Actually it's swim, bike THEN run. :cry:

Guess I'll stick to my 23 to 25 kph. :wink:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:51 pm

That's a perfectly respectable speed for that distance and this time of year. By July you'll be flying! The main thing is just getting the miles in your legs and get good climbing experience as the course round Bolton will be bloody hilly. How's the practice going? Would be a good idea to enter a few sportives through spring and early summer. Would break your training up a bit and introduce you to new roads while cranking up the distance.

My main aim for the year is an event called the ronde van Calderdale - only 75 miles through West Yorkshire, but a total of 3200m of climbing packed into it, mainly made up from 17 cobbled climbs averaging 15% each!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:18 pm

jimbo wrote:That's a perfectly respectable speed for that distance and this time of year. By July you'll be flying! The main thing is just getting the miles in your legs and get good climbing experience as the course round Bolton will be bloody hilly. How's the practice going? Would be a good idea to enter a few sportives through spring and early summer. Would break your training up a bit and introduce you to new roads while cranking up the distance.

My main aim for the year is an event called the ronde van Calderdale - only 75 miles through West Yorkshire, but a total of 3200m of climbing packed into it, mainly made up from 17 cobbled climbs averaging 15% each!

I threw myself up Sheephouse Lane at the turn of the year just to get over the fear of it. I've entered an 80 mile sportive in March from Ware in Hertfordshire to Cambridge and back, not particularly hilly, but a few hours in the saddle. Not many hills around here but I'm doing a pendulum session tomorrow morning for about an hour, then getting of the bike and running for about the same amount of time. Up to Bolton next weekend where I hope to do a portion of the route around Horwich and Sheephouse Lane twice for good measure.

Just getting time in the saddle really......

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:13 am

Did my first ever Sportive yesterday.

I was originally due to do the full 80 miles but reduced it to 30 in the week as I am recovering from a back injury.

The ride was long (55 km instead of 48km) and there were a few lumps so I was delighted to finish in under 2 hours. I was even more delighted to find I'd come 3rd overall for the distance and 1st in my age group! :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:17 am

May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:39 pm

Superb. Absolute nice person. Hope the injuries were nothing trivial.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:34 pm

^^ Excellent. The South's version of Ronnie Pickering. It takes all sorts.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:53 am

jimbo wrote:How's the riding going AG? Got my confirmed place for London in the ballot yesterday. I wasn't holding out too much hope in doing it this year and only entered the ballot on the last day. I've taken charity places before but wasn't planning on this time as it can be a lot of extra work trying to raise any money. Anyway, excited to get the place again and it'll give me another focus for the season ahead. Aiming to go sub 5hrs this year which on current form should be well within reach.
It's going ok. Joined a local club to help with distance and group riding.

Also, been asked to do a blog. Link is here http://www.ukcyclechat.co.uk/a-first-ri ... ocal-club/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Nice blog AG. Interesting about the fears of clipping someone's back wheel - I came off in that way a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't pretty!

Did the ronde van Calderdale at the weekend which was fun but brutal. 6hrs in the saddle, 3000m of climbing and 13 cobbled climbs. Certainly gave my injuries from last week's crash a bit of a shake up.

My season is going ok so far but I'm struggling to get into a routine. I'm getting out on some decent long rides at weekend but not managing to back them up in the week due to work/life commitments. Hopefully now the better weather is here I can kick on a bit.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:27 pm

jimbo wrote:Nice blog AG. Interesting about the fears of clipping someone's back wheel - I came off in that way a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't pretty!

Did the ronde van Calderdale at the weekend which was fun but brutal. 6hrs in the saddle, 3000m of climbing and 13 cobbled climbs. Certainly gave my injuries from last week's crash a bit of a shake up.

My season is going ok so far but I'm struggling to get into a routine. I'm getting out on some decent long rides at weekend but not managing to back them up in the week due to work/life commitments. Hopefully now the better weather is here I can kick on a bit.

I'm doing long rides on Sundays but need to do shorter more intense rides in the week. I've been using my turbo for those but hope to get out from next week as it's lighter later.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:51 pm

jimbo wrote:Nice blog AG. Interesting about the fears of clipping someone's back wheel - I came off in that way a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't pretty!

Thanks.

Hope the fall wasn't too serious. Only out once a week at the moment (Saturday) but like you will get out at night once it gets more lighter.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 31, 2016 9:28 am

A gadget for you is you can't be arsed going out or setting up the turbo trainer...

http://www.deskcycle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 31, 2016 9:56 am

If you put it on one of these, it'll feel like you're going uphill...

http://www.seton.co.uk/solemate-tilt-ad ... medium=cpc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:04 pm

I have moved house to where it's flatter (next door to Exeter Airport)

So I got my bicycle out and I cycled 20 miles today! "20 Miles?" I hear you exclaim incredulously.. "20???"

yes. 20! :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Such a distance does not exist. You'd fall off the end of the world.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Such a distance does not exist. You'd fall off the end of the world.
:lol:

Such a distance does not exist on a bicycle anyway.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.