Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 31, 2016 6:39 pm

Particularly when his DM competition is also centre half cover.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 31, 2016 6:45 pm

Aye. And f*ck knows what the point of taking Rashford is. What possible set of circumstances are there where he plays?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 31, 2016 7:28 pm

Centre half when smalling gets sent off, cahill is injured and wilsheres broke again. Roys a tit!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 31, 2016 7:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Henderson, Sturridge, but most gallingly Jack 'permacrock' Wilshere all in. For f*ckssake Roy!!
Jack W had an impeccable season. Every start he made Arsenal won. What's wrong with you man ??

... & why wouldn't you take Sturridge AND Rashford for when Sturridge get's injured ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 31, 2016 7:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Centre half when smalling gets sent off, cahill is injured and wilsheres broke again. Roys a tit!
We'll be out of the competition by the time Smalling's ban comes into play. Get positive ffs.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Henderson, Sturridge, but most gallingly Jack 'permacrock' Wilshere all in. For f*ckssake Roy!!
Aye. Feel sorry for Drinkwater..
Me too, but what remarkably good grace he's shown in accepting the decision when he must be gutted.

Of the three you mention, to take one of them - yep, fair enough. To take two's pushing it, but to take all three at the expense of Drinkwater and Townsend, I think, is fecking ridiculous.

For me it was always a choice between Rashford and Sturridge, never the pair of them together.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Aye. Feel sorry for Drinkwater..
Me too, but what remarkably good grace he's shown in accepting the decision when he must be gutted.

Of the three you mention, to take one of them - yep, fair enough. To take two's pushing it, but to take all three at the expense of Drinkwater and Townsend, I think, is fecking ridiculous.

For me it was always a choice between Rashford and Sturridge, never the pair of them together.
You're not alone in that thought. Hodgson needed to choose one of them, but it appears as though he's taken the easy option and selected both of them at the expense of one of the midfield positions. Drinkwater wouldn't be in my starting eleven but he should be there as the back-up in case either Henderson or Wilshere get injured, or Dier has to move to centre-back.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 31, 2016 8:38 pm

^^ I don't get how you pick someone who's had 16 starts in the last two seasons, most of 'em, best part of 2 years ago. Makes no sense to me, even if I think Wilshere is potentially a better player.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 31, 2016 8:53 pm

Having seen the squad I pretty much agree with the comments here. Rashford seems to have been fast-forwarded and could be a plus or a minus? I'd never have had him MOTM against Australia, scoring or no. I'm not even 100% sure Stirling is a great choice as (own opinion only based on England games) and doesn't seem fully committed. Neither are much in the muscle department and that might count for a lot in a tournament of this class. In that respect I'm glad Barkley and Wilshire are in. Don't know too much about Drinkwater, I'll go off folk's opinions on that, but Townsend has done enough in England appearances to have warranted a place. I still think Rooney is one of our best options but not sure I'd have taken James Milner. Sturridge on form fitness wise is a must...but will he be fit for the long haul?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 31, 2016 10:47 pm

Drinkwater has been the best English central midfield player this season.

He should have started with Dier. Woy is clueless and just a suit for the FA to control like a puppet.

How many strikers do we need when only one or two max will start?

Wilshere is permanently injured and shouldn't be going.

Henderson isn't fit to lace Drinkwater's boots, neither is Milner.

Fecking ridiculous.

Woy out, the senile old fecker...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 31, 2016 11:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Drinkwater has been the best English central midfield player this season.

He should have started with Dier. Woy is clueless and just a suit for the FA to control like a puppet.

Fecking ridiculous.

Funny that really, his track record for England is pretty decent, plus something like ten wins out of ten in the Erro qualifier. :|

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 pm

Drinkwater is still ranked below career also-rans like Milner and Henderson. Even the Premier League Title can't elevate him above the 8th placed team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 31, 2016 11:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Drinkwater has been the best English central midfield player this season.

Fecking ridiculous.

Funny that really, his track record for England is pretty decent, plus something like ten wins out of ten in the Erro qualifier. :|
England managers are judged on their tournaments. Remind me how the last World Cup went?

He should have been sacked immediately after that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
England managers are judged on their tournaments. Remind me how the last World Cup went? He should have been sacked immediately after that.
Ah, so if a team doesn't win the World Cup, sack the manager then? Does that only apply to England or should all the managers bar the winners be sacked?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:23 am

England managers always pick the players at so called big clubs. Every England manager I can remember has picked name/prestige over form and fitness. This us why I don't watch or bother with it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:34 am

Yeah TD, that was the problem last tube, we didn't win the world cup.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 am

Well maybe if we're dead lucky and play really well we'll win the world cup next tube instead.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
England managers are judged on their tournaments. Remind me how the last World Cup went? He should have been sacked immediately after that.
Ah, so if a team doesn't win the World Cup, sack the manager then? Does that only apply to England or should all the managers bar the winners be sacked?
You're right. Because there isn't anything in between looking woefully underprepared and failing to progress past the group in a pretty pathetic manner and winning the world cup. Nothing at all.....

Woy has done an ok job. But he's not brave enough or strong enough to really make a difference. He's in the same trap as previous managers have been in, picking half fit players who've done feck all for the past season, purely because they're at Liverpool or Arsenal. There isn't a single piece of justification for not taking Drinkwater. He'd have had to leave out Wilshere or Sturridge but who cares? Neither are properly fit and frankly Wilshere isn't that amazing of a player anyway. He's good but certainly not good enough to be taking half fit.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: Woy
I expect much better from you than this, Sir.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:18 am

Sterling. Really? Awful season for City, doesn't work hard enough in an England shirt, little if any final product and doesn't use his only asset, pace. How anyone can leave Townsend out to give us some width is beyond me. We've given other teams an easy tactical advantage jn some ways. Load the centre of midfield and we're going nowhere.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.