What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Beefheart » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:05 am

Currently reading Miles Davis's autobiography which genuinely contains the sentence 'Shit, that fish was a motherfucker'. It's brilliant.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:39 pm

I've seen stage productions previously but I have finally got around to reading Lee Harpers 'To Kill a Mockingbird.' I'm finding it a really difficult read dealing with the archaic language and casual and deeply rooted racism of Alabama. It is certainly gripping though, but I can't see myself going on to the sequel. Not just yet anyway.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:11 am

clapton is god wrote:I've seen stage productions previously but I have finally got around to reading Lee Harpers 'To Kill a Mockingbird.' I'm finding it a really difficult read dealing with the archaic language and casual and deeply rooted racism of Alabama. It is certainly gripping though, but I can't see myself going on to the sequel. Not just yet anyway.
Best book EVER!
May the bridges I burn light your way

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Sure is! I finished 'Go Set a Watchman' recently and it's not half as good. Worth a read, perhaps, but not as captivating and not much by way of a storyline.

Currently reading 'The Kindness of Women' by JG Ballard - the sequel to 'Empire of The Sun' (which is a great book).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 pm

HMX wrote:I finished 'Go Set a Watchman' recently and it's not half as good. Worth a read, perhaps, but not as captivating and not much by way of a storyline.
My take on it exactly. I don't know how I'd have felt about it had I read them in reverse order though.

Just got going on Bryson's take on Shakespeare.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:11 pm

Re-reading R.D.Blackmore's "Lorna Doone", all 570 pages of it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:24 pm

As we unfortunately don't seem to get WtW's company anymore, I will instead remind everyone that it is the time of the year when The Book People are selling the Booker prize shortlist for the ludicrous price of £35 (5 hardback, 1 paperback)

I've already raved on these pages about Paul Beatty's The Sellout.
https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/ ... oC52rw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:46 pm

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Just taken delivery of LP Hartley's The Go-Between. My attention was actually drawn to it last week by, of all things, a BBC piece on the Aberfan disaster for which they'd nicked the splendid opening line, "The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there". Looks like a very good novel.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:05 pm

Three new publications I'm looking out for with some expectation of reading pleasure: Night School, the new Jack Reacher by Lee Child, The wrong side of goodbye, Michael Conolly's latest Harry Bosch novel, and John Grisham's The Whistler....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Three new publications I'm looking out for with some expectation of reading pleasure: Night School, the new Jack Reacher by Lee Child, The wrong side of goodbye, Michael Conolly's latest Harry Bosch novel, and John Grisham's The Whistler....
I'm almost up to date on the Connolly novels. Just read Gods of Guilt, a Haller novel. Brilliant as ever.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:42 am

LeverEnd wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Three new publications I'm looking out for with some expectation of reading pleasure: Night School, the new Jack Reacher by Lee Child, The wrong side of goodbye, Michael Conolly's latest Harry Bosch novel, and John Grisham's The Whistler....
I'm almost up to date on the Connolly novels. Just read Gods of Guilt, a Haller novel. Brilliant as ever.
You read this, you do!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Instant chubby on.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:00 am

You'd smash that. Deffo! Right up the balloon knot!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:22 am

Just finished a Charles Cumming novel, a 500 pager, The Trinity Six. Definitely one to read if John Le Carre is you man.
Really liked this and I've read another of his not long back, A Colder War; I'll be looking for his others. Good stuff.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:26 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Just finished a Charles Cumming novel, a 500 pager, The Trinity Six. Definitely one to read if John Le Carre is you man.
Really liked this and I've read another of his not long back, A Colder War; I'll be looking for his others. Good stuff.
I've read a few of his. Very good.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:55 am

Just read 'Alice' by Christina Henry

It's a story of a girl (young woman) who has been in a psychiatric hospital for 10 years with only an axe murdering adjacent cell mate for company. One night the hospital catches fire and they escape. Characters from the original books surface in different forms. It's a great read. A bit dark and a LOT violent and bloody.

Have just started in on 'The Red Queen' which is the sequel and, hopefully, the start of at least a trilogy.

beforeiforget
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beforeiforget » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Reading The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist. Solid fantasy! Magician is the first one and it rules.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:20 pm

beforeiforget wrote:Reading The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist. Solid fantasy! Magician is the first one and it rules.
I've just bought that on the Kindle store this last week. It was one of the 99p daily deals that they do.

Currently reading Children of Time. A good but very unusual sci fi story where spiders have evolved into sentient beings. As I said, unusual.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:35 pm

Just finished A Divided Spy by Charles Cummins. This guy does good spy novels. Also, has anybody read John Grisham's The Bretheren? Written in 2000 it makes some interesting reading about devious presidential jiggery pokery.