Trotters pics

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Trotters pics

Post by clapton is god » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:36 am

^ souvenir cup that I have kept all these years celebrating that 1973 season. What would we give for a team such as that now, and how far away do we seem this particular morning from emulating their achievement?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:24 pm

A very happy 72nd Birthday to the wonderful Willie Morgan

May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:18 pm

72 :shock:

Proper kit that. Was he any good for us Morgan? I remember my dad giving him a fair bit of stick!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:72 :shock:

Proper kit that. Was he any good for us Morgan? I remember my dad giving him a fair bit of stick!
He was absolutely superb, and I shall be having words with your Father!

Though yes. That is THE only acceptable BWFC kit. White - blue - white.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

, and I shall be having words with your Father!
Even today those words scare the bejaysus out of me!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

, and I shall be having words with your Father!
Even today those words scare the bejaysus out of me!
Good :D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:41 pm

That was the first replica shirt that I ever owned, well the long sleeved version. I remember taking a felt tip to the back and drawing '11' on the back. #trendsetter 8) I seem to remember getting a bollocking for doing it. :oops:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Some lovely shots by Mark Crossfield.
Attachments
Office.png
Office.png (165.27 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
Bridge.png
Bridge.png (215.96 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 15.04.10.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 15.04.10.png (160.74 KiB) Viewed 2668 times

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:31 am

Here's one for the oldies.
As some on here know i lost my old man almost 2 years ago. The first instruction in his will, much to my and my sister's amusement, was that all of his books should be left to me. Amongst the mountain of Steam railway literature was a first edition copy of Nat's 'Goals Galore', inscribed 'from Uncle Harry, Christmas 1954'. It was also signed by the then first team.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Lucky man, L.E and nice one. I got my copy of Goals Galore (sold signed) as a Chritmas present too. It came out (which would be Christmas 1954?) . Had it for quite a few years and much later it got lost amongst divorces and stuff. I remember it so well because my traitorous brother (he supported United) got Charles Buchan's Football Annual at the same time. His was full of Busby Babes, Bobby Charlton, Duncan Edwards and all the usual false feather stuff.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 pm
Lucky man, L.E and nice one. I got my copy of Goals Galore (sold signed) as a Chritmas present too. It came out (which would be Christmas 1954?) . Had it for quite a few years and much later it got lost amongst divorces and stuff. I remember it so well because my traitorous brother (he supported United) got Charles Buchan's Football Annual at the same time. His was full of Busby Babes, Bobby Charlton, Duncan Edwards and all the usual false feather stuff.
Do you recognise all the signatures? I can get most of them.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:49 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:24 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 pm
Do you recognise all the signatures? I can get most of them.
Do you recognise all the signatures? I can get most of them.[/quote]
Aye, the 53 Cup Final side are all on there except Bob Langton who moved to Blackburn after the Final. From the top, Stan Hanson, Denis Stevens Willie Moir, Nat, Roy Hartle, Malc Barrass,John Higgins , Harry Webster, John Ball,Tom Banks, Doug Holden, Johnny Wheeler,( Harold Hassall may have left then) and the other is Ralph Gubbins (I think) then Eric Bell. Bobby Langton who got 11 caps for England isn't on there because he moved to Blackburn Rovers after the 53 Final. Tommy Neil and Walt Bingley were squad players who didn't play much in the first XI . That's the lot, I think.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:25 am

I remember Tommy Neill. Played golf at a great Lever with my dad and grandpa. Lived on Green Lane.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 am

Willie Moir's mother, passed on now, lived just around the corner from me in Farnworth and I never knew till a neighbour told me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:19 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 am
Willie Moir's mother, passed on now, lived just around the corner from me in Farnworth and I never knew till a neighbour told me.
Edit, One I missed off was Ken Grieves goalie, an Aussie who was with Bolton for a few years at that time.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:24 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 am
Willie's house was back to back with my grandparents'. They were family friends but i cant remember Willie. Another golfer I believe. I used to see his son Ian on the match bus with my dad and grandpa, but he moved and I've not seen him for years.
I think since we've hit hard times there's more a feeling of players being part of the community again rather than all parachuting in from leafy Cheshire. Lennon deserves a lot of credit for that i think.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:24 am
I think since we've hit hard times there's more a feeling of players being part of the community again rather than all parachuting in from leafy Cheshire. Lennon deserves a lot of credit for that i think.
Credit for the players living close by, or credit for us hitting hard times? :D

Rioch also used to insist on players living within a certain distance. As you imply, it might be easier when we're in the lower divisions; I can imagine that sort of thing is something Parky will also be keen on, but a good manager can balance ideals with pragmatism. For instance, if Ben Alnwick (who joined us claiming he wanted to be nearer his Northumberland roots) became a dad and wanted to commute, should the gaffer insist on proximity?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 am

Haha! After i posted it i realised how it read.
I meant that Lennon moved close to the club and invested a lot in community links (a little too literally in one case). He was clearly keen on bringing the club together internally and building bridges*. I've not forgotten the positivity he brought with him even if it did go tits up.
Like you say it's more likely they'll be local and more down to earth when they earn £1k pw rather than £50k. I even saw Beevers wandering round winter hey lane in Horwich wearing what i considered at the time to be a quite appalling beige crushed velvet style tracksuit.
I now want to buy one and wear it all the time.

*Leaves self open to urinal/handjob/ginger pube jokes... Have away boys.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 am
Haha! After i posted it i realised how it read.
I meant that Lennon moved close to the club and invested a lot in community links (a little too literally in one case). He was clearly keen on bringing the club together internally and building bridges*. I've not forgotten the positivity he brought with him even if it did go tits up.
Like you say it's more likely they'll be local and more down to earth when they earn £1k pw rather than £50k. I even saw Beevers wandering round winter hey lane in Horwich wearing what i considered at the time to be a quite appalling beige crushed velvet style tracksuit.
I now want to buy one and wear it all the time.
Heh! Topped off nicely with a magic hat.

Yeah, Lennon wasn't all bad. In some ways it's typical football oppositionalism: clubs hire someone very different to the previous guy. So miserable Megson was replaced by clappy Coyle; he couldn't defend so we went for "organised" Freeman; he seemed pathologically divisive so we went for "matey" Lennon; he ended up shit so we went for ace Parky... :D