Buoyant Bolton or Wallowing Wanderers? Fulham v Bolton 28/10/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Buoyant Bolton or Wallowing Wanderers? Fulham v Bolton 28/10/2017

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:20 pm

To be fair they were tuning and running past our midfield most of the game. Just happened that Pratley was covering as little had gone with a player.

Little has had a great game as have most of the team. Need Vela on for 90 mins so ALF can replace Armstrong.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:00 pm
Well, it is what it is. It's how they recover from a truly crushing blow now.
And how well we do! It's the hope that kills....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Utter wankers.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:36 pm

A very good result, hope the players get over the disappointment quickly because Tuesday is a huge game.

They have spent over £20m on that team, and turned down £12m for both Sessegnon and Cairney in the summer. We have done so well to create so many chances and come so close to winning. We need to keep things going and we can survive.

Just hope Taylor isn't out for long, as I don't fancy Robinson at LB for long..

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:08 pm

First half, we had 21% possession apparently. Not surprising we conceded given that the second half didn't sound that different. A great away point in any other circumstances. I am surprised that PP brought Alf on for Vela, rather than shoring us up at the back with Deryck, but presumably, he was trying to ensure we didn't drop even deeper.

Onwards....and hopefully upwards.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:12 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Just hope Taylor isn't out for long, as I don't fancy Robinson at LB for long..
Thought Robinson did very well defensively. Didn't put a foot wrong, dealt with the pressure well.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:18 pm

http://www.skysports.com/football/fulha ... ton/374778

Highlights above. If that's a true reflection of the game (OK, I know it often isn't) then a point was a great result! Poor defending for their goal though.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:25 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:59 pm
Same tactics. Same result. So damaging to the confidence.

Sort out something new PP it's getting old.

The game is 90 minutes. We played superb for 60 mins and then sat back. Gutting.

Is it actually a tactic of ours to sit back or are we just being pushed back by the opposition, especially in the second half as we tire?

In the last two matches, Parky has brought on Le Fondre for Vela late on and, whilst I don't really agree with him doing it, it isn't a move that suggests he's happy to just get men behind the ball and take what we have.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:25 pm
DJBlu wrote:

The game is 90 minutes. We played superb for 60 mins and then sat back. Gutting.

Is it actually a tactic of ours to sit back or are we just being pushed back by the opposition, especially in the second half as we tire?

In the last two matches, Parky has brought on Le Fondre for Vela late on and, whilst I don't really agree with him doing it, it isn't a move that suggests he's happy to just get men behind the ball and take what we have.
Indeed. We are playing teams better than us. We aren't going to dominate territory or possession. Trouble is players like Vela and Henry and Sammi are tiring. We needed a second goal and did have chances.

The 11 we are playing now if we'd had all season then we'd have a great chance.

We just don't have enough strength in depth with the players missing to really compete in this league.

Still we must keep going. We aren't far off stringing something together.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:50 pm

3 unbeaten isn't it. Absolute sickener but we're giving itself a chance now in games.

Scored 3 in a row too!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:17 pm

Just caught up, read reviews etc. Gutted
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:57 pm

I said at the beginning of the season, if we were giving it our all in games, then that would do for me. That is what they are doing. and although I'm gutted we didn't get 3 points, I'm proud of the lads today, and we are giving ourselves a chance now to stay with the pack at the bottom

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Not far short at all. Had Arma converted that chance - from a distance, but an open goal - we'd be looking at seven points from nine. This wasn't far short of last season's typical away template - get a goal, defend stoutly, win. Winning with minority possession and fewer shots is nothing new, and it's much more achievable than thinking we can rock up and dominate teams.

The defensive unit looked disciplined, confident and organised. Props to Tony Robinson, who did well as emergency sub for Taylor; Little also looked like part of a well-drilled unit.

Further forward, Ameobi looks to be loving life, Vela makes a huge difference and Arma had his best game yet. I would like us to work on using his pace more by playing more angled balls in for him to chase; as The Legendary Flanners noted, it's the first time we've been in that situation - home team chasing a deficit and pushing forward - but it will happen again and we need to utilise his pace, penetration and confidence. It'd be lovely and somehow typical if he broke his league duck at Sunderland...

We do need to start winning the winnable games, whether home or away, and that was a good chance but I'm glad we are in with a chance. Sunderland is massive but it's a massive opportunity. They'll be nervous as hell. I hope we can capitalise on that, and I genuinely think we can, and that's progress too.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 am

Nicko58 wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

ALF came on in a like for like role. No intention of changing what was happening other than fresh legs. I really would like to see ALF for Armstrong and leaving Vela in the deeper role if we are going to sit back as the lad can defend better than the other two mentioned. I appreciate he's coming back from injury so it may be a long while before he complete's 90 minutes.

Look at the highlights and who is on the right wing not getting stuck in, he's a striker ffs.

Annoyed more for the players because they gave 100% and still came away with no win. Must be a right kick in the teeth.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:28 am

^ There was no need to change it. We were winning and counter attacking well. Armstrong is getting better and more of a threat with each game and his pace is a terrific outlet. Vela and Ameobi are still getting back to match fitness and we have another game on Tuesday. PP called it exactly right imo.

We're finally competing well, there no longer looks like a gulf in class between us and the opponents, we're unbeaten in 3 & you want us to change things around?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:40 am

Way I see it, the current method and execution is fine and would be perfect if we were playing it from a cushion of more than one goal. Had we but put one of our chances away we could have been coming home with all three points. Add to that, stop clumsy fouls and pxssing about with the blatant/obvious time wasting. It just irritates the refs and results in daft things like getting no favours, a bad reputation and 6 added minutes. In summary, in relation to our financial position and player capabilities, if we get that right we'll survive. That's all we can do or hope to this season. Do that and we may be able to start mountaineering next season. Amen. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:05 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 am
Nicko58 wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

ALF came on in a like for like role. No intention of changing what was happening other than fresh legs. I really would like to see ALF for Armstrong and leaving Vela in the deeper role if we are going to sit back as the lad can defend better than the other two mentioned. I appreciate he's coming back from injury so it may be a long while before he complete's 90 minutes.

Look at the highlights and who is on the right wing not getting stuck in, he's a striker ffs.

Annoyed more for the players because they gave 100% and still came away with no win. Must be a right kick in the teeth.

If Parky brought ALF on for Armstrong then he'd surely just be a striker on the left wing, not getting stuck in. Unless you would put him up front, in which case we would leave the opposition with much more space to open us up with and would have even less of the the ball. I can't work how replacing Armstrong with ALF prevents us from being hemmed in our own half and, as you acknowledge, Vela isn't able to last the full ninety so Parky can't make the change that you want anyway.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 pm

ALF for Vela was a slightly surprising one. Obviously a fair few didn’t want Vela to go off but he was blowing a bit and we’ve got another two games this week it made sense to freshen the legs - had Vela be watching on while gasping away in midfield, PP would have been vilified. ALF obviously isn’t a perfect like-for-like but did a fair approximation of vela’s second-half role - dash about, close down, try to get close to Madine on the break - and if he’d finished his chance PP would have been beatified.

Possibly the best like-for-like would have been Karacan, but he didn’t make the 18 - the only centre-mid on the bench was Derik, a very different type of player whose introduction would definitely have changed the shape and depth into a more entrenched formation. As it was, although we frequently dropped into effectively a 6-3-1, we ended up with three strikers on the pitch in Gaz, Arma and Alf - and all three of them had chances to finish the game. That they didn’t isn’t Parky’s fault.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 pm
As it was, although we frequently dropped into effectively a 6-3-1, we ended up with three strikers on the pitch in Gaz, Arma and Alf - and all three of them had chances to finish the game. That they didn’t isn’t Parky’s fault.
Totally agree with that and,as I said above, the whole equilibrium would have altered had we managed just one of our chances. It all hinged on that, although I've never quite agreed with the Sam Allardyce mandate of ten bodies behind the ball to defend. How many defenders does it actually take when, by filling the box we effectively present the opposition with a game of pot shots v defence by just keep knocking it back to them? If we left two wide men and Madine hovering around the halfway line they'd be far less inclined to send the golden hordes (sometimes even including the keepers) into our half. They (the opposition ) wouldn't have so many around the box any way when a chance of a speedy winger breaking into an empty half might be an option. That said, scoring more than one goal early (first half) would entirely change the advantages in our favour. We need to put our chances away ( Rousing chorus of "No shit Sherlock" ensues)

Ah, well, on with it. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:24 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 pm
As it was, although we frequently dropped into effectively a 6-3-1, we ended up with three strikers on the pitch in Gaz, Arma and Alf - and all three of them had chances to finish the game. That they didn’t isn’t Parky’s fault.
Totally agree with that and,as I said above, the whole equilibrium would have altered had we managed just one of our chances. It all hinged on that, although I've never quite agreed with the Sam Allardyce mandate of ten bodies behind the ball to defend. How many defenders does it actually take when, by filling the box we effectively present the opposition with a game of pot shots v defence by just keep knocking it back to them? If we left two wide men and Madine hovering around the halfway line they'd be far less inclined to send the golden hordes (sometimes even including the keepers) into our half. They (the opposition ) wouldn't have so many around the box any way when a chance of a speedy winger breaking into an empty half might be an option. That said, scoring more than one goal early (first half) would entirely change the advantages in our favour. We need to put our chances away ( Rousing chorus of "No shit Sherlock" ensues)

Ah, well, on with it. ae:)
Teams one down at home will throw everyone forwards. You have to track those runners which is why you end up with 9 or ten behind the ball. Our issue is we lack a little pace up front and in midfield to hit on the break at times.