A Valentines eve massacre, or a rewarding date with old friends? Cardiff V BWFC 13/2/2018

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Valentines eve massacre, or a rewarding date with old friends? Cardiff V BWFC 13/2/2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:13 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:48 am
We didn't manage an effort on target. Glad that we're "unpredictable now"
Same as we had at Middlesbrough with Madine up top. Same as Cardiff had at our place when they were second in the league (we had two shots on target).

It’s not like we’ve been peppering in shots all season. In all league games we’ve averaged 3.3 shots on target; away, that drops to 2.73 (with, for the record, 3.75 at home). But then, SoT is a fairly unreflective metric – particularly for a team who by the nature of the league, manager and players is going to tend toward smash-and-grab wins.

The most SoT we’ve had in an away league game this season was 5 at Wolves and Hull, in our biggest defeats. Despite last night’s dragging it down, our average SoT in away defeats is still 2.77, which is fractionally lower than the 2.8 in our drawn away games but higher than the mighty 2 registered at Bramall Lane in our sole second-tier away win of the Madine Era. I suppose that was unpredictable.
Its not about Madine. Its about playing with a wide man up front, one who has never been anything approaching a regular goalscorer, and relying on him as our only outlet.

We shall see what happens, but based on last night, (we should and would have lost about 4/5 but for Alnwick and some super stops) we're in trouble IMHO.

I'd 100% love to be totally wrong. But I can see QPR beating us. We're very reliant on our home form and we cannot keep relying on a wonder goal and a clean sheet there. We have no consistent and simple way to break teams down now. And we're stuck with 3 at the back which I don't particularly like as a system.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: A Valentines eve massacre, or a rewarding date with old friends? Cardiff V BWFC 13/2/2018

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 am

The most alarming problem last night was how badly we dealt with Sean Morrison at set pieces. With Bamba and Madine not playing he was really their only big presence and he literally got a clean header in at about four or five set pieces that came into our box. It wasn't just that he got the header in, he literally looked a foot taller than any of our defenders. It was embarrassing, a bit like Gillingham against us last year. I am not sure why Parky chose this game to leave Wheater out, given he clearly wasn't injured as he came on at half time.

Going forward, the problem was that we weren't able to provide any quality passes into ALF, and often ended up hitting it long which gave ALF no chance. The midfield were really poor. Vela really disappoints me, I was wondering yesteday what the point of him was. He doesn't even try and get on the ball, and doesn't see a pass when he does. He wasn't getting forward to support the forwards, although given we had so little quality possession that would've been wasted anyway. But part of that issue is down to him. He really is in the team just for his chasing and running power. Derik looked a centre half playing in midfield and Henry was at his worst. We would've been better with Walker whose pace might have made something of aimless balls forward. Ameobi still looked our best player but that is saying very little. We literally had two shots, one from Ameobi from about 30 yards that was about ten yards wide, and one from ALF from 20 yards that took about ten seconds to get to the goalline, and about three yards wide. One of the stewards could have played in goal for them. A guy behind me left after 76 minutes to begin "his long drive home". The couple next to him initially laughed, before stating that there is no chance of us getting back into the game. It really was very poor.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:13 am
We shall see what happens, but based on last night, (we should and would have lost about 4/5 but for Alnwick and some super stops) we're in trouble IMHO.
Way I see it mate, we've had two good performances and a poor one away at a strong top-two contender. I'd settle for that average over the final third of the season – it'd take us to 50 points – and that's without considering that we'll rarely play a trio of teams as well-regarded as Brizzle, Fulham and Cardiff, all top-six as we speak.

Anyways, some interesting Parky quotes on last night's defence suggest he's going more horses for courses, which I can only stress again should be a good thing. Didn't work here but then if Wheats had started, they might have just run past the lovely old bastard time and again.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ty_defeat/
I wanted to put a bit of freshness in the team and knew Cardiff had pace at the top of the pitch. I felt young Reece would be the one to deal with that In fairness to Reece he actually did alright. I just felt at half time, 2-0 down at a place like this, I wanted to get the experience of David Wheater on. Out of the three centre-halves I think Reece did okay – it was just purely a decision on experience.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 am
We would've been better with Walker whose pace might have made something of aimless balls forward.
I can certainly see the case for utilising Walker's pace on the break, particularly away. ALF's game works best when we have a lot of the ball creating a lot of chances; in retrospect, away at Cardiff wasn't likely to be that game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
We would've been better with Walker whose pace might have made something of aimless balls forward.
I can certainly see the case for utilising Walker's pace on the break, particularly away. ALF's game works best when we have a lot of the ball creating a lot of chances; in retrospect, away at Cardiff wasn't likely to be that game.
We never have a lot of the ball and never create a lot of chances.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
And we're all going to die alone in agony, in an insignificant corner of a universe that doesn't care.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am

Not all desperate; If we win and Reading lose Saturday, we can go above them and haul back Q.P.R in the bargain. "If" we win, nobody can change our present position. Key word is if, and we've got to start believing in our ability (and desire) to attack the opponents goal. Keepers playing against us are probably the most underworked footballers going. Vela is a key if he adapts a run and shoot policy occasionally instead of intricacy. Complex build ups that result in a goal are great...but they don't mean any more in value than a speculative lash that make a keeper work. Part stops, fumbles and rebounds happen, but only if we shoot. We just aren't doing that ( which I thought Alf might make happen) . We need more confidence and to mix our methods up a bit more. If I'm hearing right, how many second balls did we not win last night? Not sure, in that game especially, why Wheater, arguably our best defender, didn't start and leave Burke for Saturday. That was a puzzler unless the decision was made when we found Madine wasn't playing. Either way, it was a bad move. Confidence needs restoring pretty quick.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 am
Our season isn't won or lost away against promotion chasing sides. Do try and use a little measure here and there before setting to. ;)
The next two games are absolutely crucial. In every sense. 4 points needed from them. So yes, losing to Cardiff not a surprise. The manner in which we lost though, was incredibly poor. Especially when you consider that only a few weeks ago we beat them comfortably at home.

We cannot afford to go to QPR and be so poor. Because QPR will be a tough game but its one we absolutely must take something from.
Oh I absolutely agree re the next two, and if their first goal was any kind of indicator then last night's performance must've been dire. However, I'm very much of the 'expected nowt - got nowt' frame of mind re the result.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 am

Minor point somewhat off topic, but Melchett does not say "E-E-Exactly". He's not Porky Pig.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am
Not all desperate; If we win and Reading lose Saturday, we can go above them and haul back Q.P.R in the bargain. "If" we win, nobody can change our present position. Key word is if, and we've got to start believing in our ability (and desire) to attack the opponents goal. Keepers playing against us are probably the most underworked footballers going. Vela is a key if he adapts a run and shoot policy occasionally instead of intricacy. Complex build ups that result in a goal are great...but they don't mean any more in value than a speculative lash that make a keeper work. Part stops, fumbles and rebounds happen, but only if we shoot. We just aren't doing that ( which I thought Alf might make happen) . We need more confidence and to mix our methods up a bit more. If I'm hearing right, how many second balls did we not win last night? Not sure, in that game especially, why Wheater, arguably our best defender, didn't start and leave Burke for Saturday. That was a puzzler unless the decision was made when we found Madine wasn't playing. Either way, it was a bad move. Confidence needs restoring pretty quick.
Wheater probably struggles with 3 games a week and QPR is the more crucial of the two by a distance.

You can't attack the opponents goal when you don't have the ball. Our midfield is currently not good enough to support playing without a target man up front. Especially, especially away from home.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:48 am

We didn't manage an effort on target. Glad that we're "unpredictable now" :roll:
Someone's delighted :roll:

We've had 5 games this season in which we've failed to have a shot on target. 4 of them with.......... Madeeen
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Bullshit, to your 2nd point. We had plenty of chances vs Fulham, and more than a couple against Bristol.

You're just determined to find the misery in every situation now that your latest messiah has pissed off. You've reverted to type. You're as predictable as you claim BWFC are.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am
Wheater probably struggles with 3 games a week and QPR is the more crucial of the two by a distance.
You can't attack the opponents goal when you don't have the ball. Our midfield is currently not good enough to support playing without a target man up front. Especially, especially away from home.
You know, I never thought of that, how remiss of me. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 am
Minor point somewhat off topic, but Melchett does not say "E-E-Exactly". He's not Porky Pig.
You sure? 24 seconds in:

Not sure if it's a purposeful representation of an upper-class tic, or Fry riding out the previous wave of audience laughter (was it recorded in front of a live audience?). I've never seen the original pre-recording scripts, but the triple intro is cited in the Whole Damn Dynasty collection:
Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 12.45.17.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 12.45.17.png (95.71 KiB) Viewed 8000 times
...and even in some books - here, here and here - including books on game theory...

Anyway: Good job we didn't pick Aaron Wilbraham, eh?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm

If there is one positive from this game, it is that is has brought out references to Blackadder goes forth, possibly my favourite comedy programme ever #bravo

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:39 pm

I stand corrected! The fallibility of human memory. I can hear, in my head as if it happened, that line as a "Meeeeexactly".

Not that I'm clutching at straws to avoid football.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.