Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 am

I'll also be interested to see what "the plan" is. Since Sam left, we've not had a manager who built a squad with a specific way to win games in mind. We've either had a team built to try and not lose or a collection of individuals jammed into a system (or not even with a system, under Coyle).

Here's hoping for a coherent strategy.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:32 am

Oh I think they've had plans in mind. Not always good ones, but plans nonetheless.

Megson was very happy to grind out wins with a 4-5-1 (it's not a 4-3-3 if your right-sider is Gavin McCann or Joey O'Brien), and his ethos could be summed up with the old line about "if you want entertainment go to the circus".

Coyle wanted the world to believe he was a fast-passing, interplay manager but he was also very happy for the ball to go direct to Kevin Davies and do the nice stuff in their third. He also very definitely had a system, which perhaps not uncoincidentally he shared with Mike Bassett: "Four Four F**king Two".

Freedman was happy to switch system depending on the players available but he notoriously wanted to "control games without the ball", like his beloved Italian managers of perhaps Uri Geller.

Lennon's downfall came (to be fair, against a backdrop of financial f*cktastrophe) when he resolved to follow fellow Ulsterman Brendan Rodgers and play a back three. We were shit at it.

Jimmy Phillips, bless him, was left holding the carcass and just wanted to give the kids a chance.

Parkinson has changed formation a number of times but usually with a target man (or a gaping hole where one should be). If that's no longer the plan (or the only plan) it will be fascinating, perhaps frustrating, quite possibly terrifying, but hopefully ultimately gratifying. Plurality of ideas is often a good thing.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 am

Megson set us up not to lose and to try and nick a result. Owen insisted to me that plans didn't matter and football was all about individual battles and spirit - "Formations don't win games, men do" as I recall. Freedman constantly played players out of position and seemed to think he could turn players into something they weren't. Lennon you can excuse, but again we never looked like a team going forward. I don't really count Jimmy.

I want to see a side that, every game, looks like they know how to beat the team they are up against and what to do when the ball is in various parts of the pitch. Organisation isn't just for back fours. Good sides know what everyone's role is in defence, on the attack, on the counter, for turn-overs etc. I'd like to see a side that looks properly drilled.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Small morsel on Nixon's Twitter.

Q: Anything new on Rodwell and Wyke?
Nixon: Agreeing a Wyke fee will be a challenge. Rodwell was down last week for a chat despite the unsurprising denials.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:02 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 am
I'll also be interested to see what "the plan" is. Since Sam left, we've not had a manager who built a squad with a specific way to win games in mind. We've either had a team built to try and not lose or a collection of individuals jammed into a system (or not even with a system, under Coyle).

Here's hoping for a coherent strategy.
This has been half the problem. The other half was the rest of the squad weren't up to the level required.

We've bought in or are chasing a bunch of lightweight tippy-tappers to play in front of Wheevers and a destroyer in Lowe.
Getting the ball to the 'talent' will be the problem. Only Vela is any type of tweener. We either need stellar loanee fullbacks or a more complete (Ekpan?) type to connect the dots. We do have longshot talent - maybe we'll just crowd the midfield with 4-2-3-1 and not bother penetrating to the six-yard box.

I'm worried we''re getting too teeny tiny at set pieces too.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Senor Suntanned Man takeover kiboshed?

Anderson in official press release:
"There have also been some rumours regarding possible investors, which, again, have been very wide of the mark. What I can say is that we are in discussions with four parties who are looking to invest in the club..."

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Little tippy-tappy players with one destroyer could described a lot of good sides over the years. If we can grab a proper centre forward we'll have enough height in the side.

The question will be whether the footballers in the side are good enough, rather than tall enough. Work rate, organisation and a bit of quality on the ball. I'll take that over a load of 6'4" cloggers.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:37 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Nixon: Agreeing a Wyke fee will be a challenge. Rodwell was down last week for a chat despite the unsurprising denials.
The reaction from people I know to that Rodwell rumour was horror, but I'm not sure it'd be a bad signing. He's a decent athlete and okay on the ball. He'd probably be a good CB signing for us. Depends where his head is these days. We are desperate for some pace at the back.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:16 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:37 pm

The reaction from people I know to that Rodwell rumour was horror, but I'm not sure it'd be a bad signing. He's a decent athlete and okay on the ball. He'd probably be a good CB signing for us. Depends where his head is these days. We are desperate for some pace at the back.
Nixon also said we're interested in Ekpan earlier. Used to be the guru that guy...

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:23 am

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... o-defender

Bakary Kone, 30 years-old, 6ft 2in centreback played in France and Spain.
Experienced with 117 Ligue 1 games and 18 Euro Cup matches. Cost 2m GBP when Lyon bought him.

Available on a free and "we've made an offer"? Directly to him I suppose... Sounds good...

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 am

^ Could be a decent acquisition.

A follow up piece on the Teixeira deal suggests Porto are after less than 150k for us to take him permanently, but we'd prefer to loan. :roll: Suppose wages could be a factor behind the thinking, but for that sort of price it's shirley an investment opportunity?
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... ef=mr&lp=5

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:38 am

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 am

A follow up piece on the Teixeira deal suggests Porto are after less than 150k for us to take him permanently, but we'd prefer to loan. :roll: Suppose wages could be a factor behind the thinking, but for that sort of price it's shirley an investment opportunity?
To us that is a lot of money. And if he was only a few hundred thousand last time it doesn't suggest it is a "great investment".

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 am

Kone is a very good player. Decent athlete, captained Strasbourg a couple of times whilst on loan and is a real threat from set pieces.

Didn't quite work for him at Lyon. They gave him the 4 shirt (a big deal) and expected big things - he was seen as the major reason Guingamp won the cup in 2009, along with Eduardo. He can also play upfront.

Lyon are my French team, so I've seen a bit of him. Not good enough for them, but I'd thrilled to get him for us.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:42 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 am
Kone is a very good player. Decent athlete, captained Strasbourg a couple of times whilst on loan and is a real threat from set pieces.

Didn't quite work for him at Lyon. They gave him the 4 shirt (a big deal) and expected big things - he was seen as the major reason Guingamp won the cup in 2009, along with Eduardo. He can also play upfront.

Lyon are my French team, so I've seen a bit of him. Not good enough for them, but I'd thrilled to get him for us.
Sounds good. Looks a little light for his height at 80kg but a little bit faster than Beevers and Wheater of course.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:55 am

80kg is nearly 13 stone, so he's not a string bean. He's not a beast, though. He's a technical defender who can use his feet. More John Stones than John Terry.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:38 am

To us that is a lot of money. And if he was only a few hundred thousand last time it doesn't suggest it is a "great investment".
I didn't say it would be a "great" investment - I acknowledge there's a risk, but doesn't all investment carry a risk? There's clearly pedigree there, while his contribution at Brighton in 2014/15 suggests he roll up his sleeves and perform for a struggling Championship team.
In today's market, £150k is (imo) a snip for someone who could return 4 or 5 times that within a year; maybe even 7 figures in 18 months/two years. He went from Liverpool to Porto on a free - the £300k was compensation because he was U23 at the time.
I appreciate what we're playing with in terms of money, but how much did we pay Forest to bring Clough back for 6 months? How much is being saved on wages compared to last season (accepting more will be coming in)? Is any of the Madine add-on money being invested? If there's truth in the Wyke rumour, then the investment we're talking about there suggests we could invest £150k in Teixeira.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:06 am

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:03 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:38 am

I didn't say it would be a "great" investment - I acknowledge there's a risk, but doesn't all investment carry a risk? There's clearly pedigree there, while his contribution at Brighton in 2014/15 suggests he roll up his sleeves and perform for a struggling Championship team.
In today's market, £150k is (imo) a snip for someone who could return 4 or 5 times that within a year; maybe even 7 figures in 18 months/two years. He went from Liverpool to Porto on a free - the £300k was compensation because he was U23 at the time.
I appreciate what we're playing with in terms of money, but how much did we pay Forest to bring Clough back for 6 months? How much is being saved on wages compared to last season (accepting more will be coming in)? Is any of the Madine add-on money being invested? If there's truth in the Wyke rumour, then the investment we're talking about there suggests we could invest £150k in Teixeira.
Possibly we need to save the £150K for a striker and we think there is a decent chance of getting him on loan?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 am

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:42 am
Sounds good. Looks a little light for his height at 80kg but a little bit faster than Beevers and Wheater of course.
He's also quite a bit shorter than them. He's three times nearer the size of Little Jordan Pickford than Big Dave. But I trust the Ghost's opinion.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:

Isn't Rodwell more a DM? I've never seen him as a centre half. If he's cheap (there are few or no other suitors) then he's worth a punt imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:34 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Isn't Rodwell more a DM? I've never seen him as a centre half. If he's cheap (there are few or no other suitors) then he's worth a punt imo
He's a DM who has delusions he can play at CB. Steer well, well clear.