Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Can I just add that I'm liking this new and ambitious looking outlook to the new season? I can, splendid. :pissed:
I've suffered many, many years faithfully supporting the Whites, in spirit if not always physically, due to years of playing amateur football, raising a family and working etc . I've got a really good feeling about not being underdogs that I had with Megson, Coyle, Lennon, Freedman etc, and this could be our year to shine....so I'll get in an early Come on You Whites...... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)

p.s does Bob Taylor still play for West Brom...? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVNlKVRCqA
Looks like Magennis can head a ball !!!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Riviman wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:52 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVNlKVRCqA
Looks like Magennis can head a ball !!!

I think he could do really well for us. Put me in the "Parky will get the best out of him" camp as well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Craig Davies could strike a football. He was a decent technical player. When he started out managers used him on the wing, because he could cross and dribble a bit. When Magennis wasn't scoring he got put at right back...he's about hard work and sacrificing for the team.

The fact they're similar builds doesn't mean they're similar players. Magennis might well be much better for us than Davies was, but he's got nowhere near the technical ability. If he shows up in 50% of games, though, he'll make more of a contribution than Craig did here.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Must say Magennis speaks well, sounds like he has a really good mentality. That is very important.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:31 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 pm
Must say Magennis speaks well, sounds like he has a really good mentality. That is very important.
Agreed. I watched the videos he did for the Northern Ireland team and he looked a good lad. Also, all the press about him is positive and former coaches sing his praises.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:45 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:18 pm
Craig Davies could strike a football. He was a decent technical player. When he started out managers used him on the wing, because he could cross and dribble a bit. When Magennis wasn't scoring he got put at right back...he's about hard work and sacrificing for the team.

The fact they're similar builds doesn't mean they're similar players. Magennis might well be much better for us than Davies was, but he's got nowhere near the technical ability. If he shows up in 50% of games, though, he'll make more of a contribution than Craig did here.
Watching his goals he looks to have a good touch and ability to strike a ball. That might be it.

But probably puts him ahead of CD.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:53 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:10 am
Jakerbeef wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:30 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:39 pm
Very interesting.

Alternatively, we're going 4-4-f*cking-2.
Is that a stealth Mike Basset quote?
I'm genuinely incapable of saying 442 (as opposed to FourFourTwo) aloud without calling it 4-4-f*cking-2!

(Yes).
Jolly good! :D

"And Lee from Steps!"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:10 am

What's the betting Madine becomes available pretty soonish? He wasn't getting in their team towards the end of last season and Cardiff now seem to be targeting more strikers.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:14 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:10 am
What's the betting Madine becomes available pretty soonish? He wasn't getting in their team towards the end of last season and Cardiff now seem to be targeting more strikers.
And if he ends up in the Championship Wheater and Beevers will take care of it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:25 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:

I don't ever recall seeing any kind of "technical ability" with Craig Davies. He was a battering ram
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:55 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:25 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I don't ever recall seeing any kind of "technical ability" with Craig Davies. He was a battering ram
Have to be honest here. The words technical and Craig Davies certainly don't gel together in my mind.

He was a big lad with a bit of mobility. But his finishing wasn't great and bar a couple of games he was one of those who never seemed to be in the right place when you need them in the box. Worked hard like. But I don't recall him ever running at people here.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:39 pm

For those of you who slate Scottish football (and that tends to be many), this guy was nowhere near good enough for Aberdeen.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:45 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Depends what you mean. He doesn't do tricks and flicks, but his technique when striking a ball is actually very good - he's just not consistent enough in his decision making to pick and choose when to use it. For us, he was pretty crap (with flashes of brilliance); but the lad can curl one in from 30 yards or knock a ball across field. One of the reasons people got mildly excited when we signed him was that they watched Youtube videos of him belting the ball in from all kinds of angles. Then again, I also think Madine is a decent technical player and not many on here would agree with that either. Not sure if people think of technically sound players being flair players. It also doesn't mean one player is better than another.

If Magennis has improved that side of his game at Charlton, great. In Scotland at least, he was always seen as have fairly basic technique...and that's in a league where the technical quality is low. In fact, I seem to recall that when Magennis moved to Charlton he got a lot of stick from SPL fans because he marvelled at how high the quality of that league was compared to the SPL. It was a pretty big story in Scotland at the time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:45 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Depends what you mean. He doesn't do tricks and flicks, but his technique when striking a ball is actually very good - he's just not consistent enough in his decision making to pick and choose when to use it. For us, he was pretty crap (with flashes of brilliance); but the lad can curl one in from 30 yards or knock a ball across field. One of the reasons people got mildly excited when we signed him was that they watched Youtube videos of him belting the ball in from all kinds of angles. Then again, I also think Madine is a decent technical player and not many on here would agree with that either. Not sure if people think of technically sound players being flair players. It also doesn't mean one player is better than another.

If Magennis has improved that side of his game at Charlton, great. In Scotland at least, he was always seen as have fairly basic technique...and that's in a league where the technical quality is low. In fact, I seem to recall that when Magennis moved to Charlton he got a lot of stick from SPL fans because he marvelled at how high the quality of that league was compared to the SPL. It was a pretty big story in Scotland at the time.
Madine was technically very sound. He was also quicker than people gave him credit for. Craig Davies was a handful but I didn't see much evidence he was a great striker of the ball.

Highlights can be deceiving but Magennis looks like he does strike it well.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:59 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:45 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Madine was technically very sound. He was also quicker than people gave him credit for. Craig Davies was a handful but I didn't see much evidence he was a great striker of the ball.

Highlights can be deceiving but Magennis looks like he does strike it well.
Excellent header of the ball. Quality touch there.
What could've happened; did.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:39 pm
For those of you who slate Scottish football (and that tends to be many), this guy was nowhere near good enough for Aberdeen.
Some players are late bloomers. His Aberdeen spell was four years ago.

No Comment RE: Scottish Fitba.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:31 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm
fatshaft wrote:

Also, he said in his interview that he's still learning every year - being relatively new to football after being a goalkeeper most of his life then a fullback. Four years is a longtime he's only started to score recently.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Oh, someone mentioned high flying Wigan in for Antonee as well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:28 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm
fatshaft wrote:

He did very well for Kilmarnock. At Aberdeen they tried him all over the park (right back, up front and centre mid) and that probably didn't help much. Killy stuck him up front and he scored and assisted for a few in a very poor side.

Have said before, I'm not a big fan; but judging him on Aberdeen isn't really fair.