Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Seen a few folk talking about the highlights not doing credit to the move we put together for our first, yet when Magennis heads it in Wheavers are queuing up behind him. I'm assuming it came from a set piece we worked back in rather than some Michelsesque positional freedom?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:09 pm
Seen a few folk talking about the highlights not doing credit to the move we put together for our first, yet when Magennis heads it in Wheavers are queuing up behind him. I'm assuming it came from a set piece we worked back in rather than some Michelsesque positional freedom?
Developed out of a corner. West Brom switched off because they had two on Sammy and Wheats gambled. If you watch the highlights you can see Hegazi just isn't expecting the ball to come in. Credit to Sammy, Wheater expected something to come in because of who was on the ball and the delivery was superb. It's Wheater being in there that gives Magennis the space to nod in.

The general post-match coverage of the game gave us no credit, to be honest. We were far better than you'd think.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Cheers.

Ps get well soon Monty and Mrs TD.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm
The division is stronger this year. Once again I'm struggling to see 3 we'll finish above but hopeful we might just about manage it once again.
Staggering statements after one game, in line with your eternal pessimism (a game which we managed to win despite it being against the thoroughbred stable). How do you know the division is stronger (and Magennis looking a Division 1 player) after just one game? We have half a team of better players, a good manager and a positive club atmosphere. Cheer up and let that hope spring eternal. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:33 pm
Cheers.

Ps get well soon Monty and Mrs TD.
Thanks. Sorted here but best to Monty too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm
The division is stronger this year. Once again I'm struggling to see 3 we'll finish above but hopeful we might just about manage it once again.
Staggering statements after one game, in line with your eternal pessimism (a game which we managed to win despite it being against the thoroughbred stable). How do you know the division is stronger (and Magennis looking a Division 1 player) after just one game? We have half a team of better players, a good manager and a positive club atmosphere. Cheer up and let that hope spring eternal. :wink:
That was pre-game. Also the other post you reference (also pre-game) was me disputing that we were (Pru's description) a slightly upgraded league one team. I was saying we were better than that. And my point re Magennis was on paper he looks a league one player (having not played above that level club wise) but he did have international experience. You don't even bother to read posts and just react based on who posts them. Its somewhat depressing to be honest. Post in full here.
We've signed a lot of players and god knows how it will work out in the long run.

And yes, West Brom are streets ahead of us (and a lot of the division) quality wise.

But are we "a slightly upgraded league one team"? I think last year we were that. Now we've signed players in the main with championship or higher experience and pedigrees.

I'm not talking the "Wheater has played in the premiership" nonsense argument. But people from the top flight in Germany, players with over 100 games at this level in recent times etc....

Sure Magennis looks a classic league one player but even he's played in a major international tournament, and scored, against Germany.

We'll see how it all goes and I'm far from thinking we'll be fine. But the pedigree is higher than it has been for a while, on paper at least.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm

We still need to improve, but we're certainly not a League One team with some fillers. The difference between being a League One and Championship player isn't that great, in all honesty - it's half a yard here and there plus consistency; but we've got a few who clearly seem cut out for this level. Our issue last season wasn't just a lack of quality, it was that the squad didn't add up to a coherent team on the pitch. This season's squad looks much better planned and you can start to see how players fit.

As I've said before, I only care about a promotion push and getting the club and squad into a position to achieve that in the future. If we can establish a solid base this season and pay off a bit more debt then I'll be delighted. There's nothing wrong with what's been going on thus far on the football side.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:19 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm
We still need to improve, but we're certainly not a League One team with some fillers. The difference between being a League One and Championship player isn't that great, in all honesty - it's half a yard here and there plus consistency; but we've got a few who clearly seem cut out for this level. Our issue last season wasn't just a lack of quality, it was that the squad didn't add up to a coherent team on the pitch. This season's squad looks much better planned and you can start to see how players fit.

As I've said before, I only care about a promotion push and getting the club and squad into a position to achieve that in the future. If we can establish a solid base this season and pay off a bit more debt then I'll be delighted. There's nothing wrong with what's been going on thus far on the football side.
Promotion push? Getting ahead of ourselves here. We're way off that. If someone said you can have 4th bottom again, right now, I'd snatch their hands off.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:58 pm
You don't even bother to read posts and just react based on who posts them. Its somewhat depressing to be honest. .
Don't promote your own im portance mate. You've no idea what or who I react to. If it's depressing it's because it's just another of your wild "assumptions" that you are always right and people should accept it without question because you post it. I'm perfectly able to read and because I disagree it's usually based on such points and not "I go to all the games and you know nowt" I rarely comment on things I know nothing about games wise, despite reading every media report/viewing every TV highlight and commenting live on every single game of the season on here, but my view has equal weight with yours on matters of pure opinionism which we're talking here. That's what most of your views are with a healthy dose of pessismism. That's what's really depressing, that you hate to be disagreed with and think it's an insult.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
You don't even bother to read posts and just react based on who posts them. Its somewhat depressing to be honest. .
Don't promote your own im portance mate. You've no idea what or who I react to. If it's depressing it's because it's just another of your wild "assumptions" that you are always right and people should accept it without question because you post it. I'm perfectly able to read and because I disagree it's usually based on such points and not "I go to all the games and you know nowt" I rarely comment on things I know nothing about games wise, despite reading every media report/viewing every TV highlight and commenting live on every single game of the season on here, but my view has equal weight with yours on matters of pure opinionism which we're talking here. That's what most of your views are with a healthy dose of pessismism. That's what's really depressing, that you hate to be disagreed with and think it's an insult.
I don’t mind being disagreed with. I do mind when you wanted to point out my pessimism using a post where I was actually disagreeing with Pru’s pessimism. You haven’t addressed that. Did you read the post, if you did why did you take something I said in it entirely out of the context it was placed in?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I don’t mind being disagreed with. I do mind when you wanted to point out my pessimism using a post where I was actually disagreeing with Pru’s pessimism. You haven’t addressed that. Did you read the post, if you did why did you take something I said in it entirely out of the context it was placed in?
Pessimism, you? Never! :lol: You'd snatch a hand off for fourth bottom? Struggle to see three finishing below us; judge a team and players after one league game? If we'd lost on Saturday you would have been the first in calling us rubbish, just like our cricketers and golfers. Hey, forget it mate, don't bother replying, I surrender. :pray:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Pessimism, you? Never! :lol: You'd snatch a hand off for fourth bottom? Struggle to see three finishing below us; judge a team and players after one league game? If we'd lost on Saturday you would have been the first in calling us rubbish, just like our cricketers and golfers. Hey, forget it mate, don't bother replying, I surrender. :pray:
On paper at the start of the season I felt we had a better quality squad than last season but that there weren’t 3 teams as weak as Burton, Barnsley and Sunderland. On paper. Virtually every pundit picked us to go down. However, I also said I hoped for better. I’d take 4th bottom because it means we stay up. Again I hope we can do better and Saturday gave us an indication we can. But it’s one game.

Suggesting that we won’t be top half isn’t exactly pessimism. We are almost universally tipped to go down. I think we are better than many of those pundits give us credit for but we have a small squad and a few injuries will be tough to manage.

If I had to bet where we’d finish right now I’d say outside the bottom three but only a couple of places above. That would be a very successful season though in our current predicament.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:19 pm
Promotion push? Getting ahead of ourselves here. We're way off that. If someone said you can have 4th bottom again, right now, I'd snatch their hands off.
For this season, yes. As I said, this season is about establishing a base in order to build for a promotion push - otherwise there's no point being in the league. I want to see the core of a proper Championship side develop over the coming season. Last season was all hands to the pumps, desperate times etc. This season needs to be more thoughtful and see us establish ourselves at this level again. The season after I'd hope we could have aspirations of getting close to 6th for periods and establishing ourselves as a top half side.

I'd not take 4th bottom right now. Even before West Brom I thought we could aim for mid table with a few decent additions. Saturday's game was a nice bonus, but doesn't really change my thinking. We still need to add a few more in key positions, but assuming we can get that little bit more quality I like the squad we have now. A lot of lads with something to prove and enough quality to cause some issues. The rest will be down to fitness.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm

I'd say there's a significant gulf in ability between the average Championship player and the average League One player myself. It's a pretty big step up.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:20 pm
I'd say there's a significant gulf in ability between the average Championship player and the average League One player myself. It's a pretty big step up.
Depends what you mean by a significant gulf. A lot of the difference between levels is mental. Plenty of players in League One are technically good, there are some good physical specimens down there too. What tends to separate most lads is speed of thought, understanding of the game and their attitude. There are lads in the Premier League who aren't necessarily top level physically or technically, but their attitude and willingness to understand the game sets them apart. Other lads are amazing athletes or great technicians when they come through and then they never develop mentally and get left behind.

The right attitude and the right coaching can see players come on leaps and bounds in short order. That's what I mean by there not being some vast difference half the time. There are lots of players in the lower divisions who, had things gone a little differently in their careers, could have made much more of themselves. It can be fine margins between being in one division's class bracket and another's.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Going back to 'mistakes', I'd have been pretty pissed off with the keeper if I was a Baggies fan on our second goal. He seemed to let it go both across him and through him in one move.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:03 pm
Going back to 'mistakes', I'd have been pretty pissed off with the keeper if I was a Baggies fan on our second goal. He seemed to let it go both across him and through him in one move.
Pause it as Wheater heads it. Wildschut is right in front of the keeper with a WBA defender behind him. Keeper blocked in and view obscured. As ball comes to YW he has his back to goal. Goes right in the far side of the goal. To be honest keeper had little chance to react in that situation.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 pm

Who cares we scored.