MATCH THREAD: Into the great unknown. Bristol City (H) -11th Aug, 2018

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

MATCH THREAD: Into the great unknown. Bristol City (H) -11th Aug, 2018

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 am

Big game this weekend. First one at home.
One that will answer a lot of questions.

1) Are we actually any good?
2) Can we play a more expansive home style and do well?

3) Which formation do we line up will we play, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-5-1?
4) Who starts in the new formation?

5) Are there still roles for the likes of Ozzy and ALF? Or Donaldson?
6) Can our D handle the extra space of pushing forward?

7) Are our players quick enough across the park?
8 ) Can Parky use the diversity of our bench to switch tactics mid game?

9) Or are the subs dependent on the fitness of Murphy/O'Neill, Wildschut/Buckley, SAmeobi/Noone?
10) How good are Bristol and how will we have to adapt?
Last edited by mullayo on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Into the great unknown. Bristol City at Home (12.8.18)

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:28 am

Start something like this.
4-2-3-1
---------------Alnwick---------------------
----Olki----Whe-----Vers------Taylor
------------Lowe------Murphy---------------
------SAmeobi-----Vela-----Wildchild-----------
----------------Magennis---------------------
Or 4-3-3
------------------Alnwick---------------------
----Olki----Whe-----Vers------Taylor-----
---------Vela-----Lowe-----Murphy-----------
-------SAmeobi---Ozzy----Wildchild------

If they're going good and we get ahead sub Wildschut for Buckley, Ozzy for Magennis, SAmeobi for O'Neill switch to 4-5-1 and shut up shop.
If we get behind SAmeobi for Noone, Ozzy for Alf and Wildschut for Donaldson.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 am

That reminds me of Python's 'Bruce' sketch.

Rule 6, There is no rule 6!

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:09 am

Enoch wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 am
That reminds me of Python's 'Bruce' sketch.

Rule 6, There is no rule 6!
System does it automatically. I've no idea why. Who was our famous number 8?

Does it need a ) to make it work. 8)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am

The idea that we (or anyone else) would play Oztumer in that role is absolutely ludicrous.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am

Use full stops, or put a space between the eight and the bracket and it's good.

8 )

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:07 pm

It will be interesting. Bristol City played without a recognized striker last week. Weimann, Eliasson, O'Dowda and Paterson played in the advanced positions, all of them known as wingers or attacking midfielders. They did the same last season at times with Bobby Reid as the most advanced player. Will be a test for our two big central defenders and our defensive midfield. Generally the mood down here is one of deflation. Flint, Bryan and Reid leaving for relatively modest fees have disappointed the fans.

In my optimistic moments I see a 1-0 home win. I think it will be a tight, intriguing, low scoring game.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:03 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:07 pm
It will be interesting. Bristol City played without a recognized striker last week. Weimann, Eliasson, O'Dowda and Paterson played in the advanced positions, all of them known as wingers or attacking midfielders. They did the same last season at times with Bobby Reid as the most advanced player. Will be a test for our two big central defenders and our defensive midfield.

Generally the mood down here is one of deflation. Flint, Bryan and Reid leaving for relatively modest fees have disappointed the fans.

In my optimistic moments I see a 1-0 home win. I think it will be a tight, intriguing, low scoring game.
I was going to ask you - being Bristol-based - for a scouting report on their side. Who are their best players we have to watch out for?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

mullayo wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:03 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:07 pm
It will be interesting. Bristol City played without a recognized striker last week. Weimann, Eliasson, O'Dowda and Paterson played in the advanced positions, all of them known as wingers or attacking midfielders. They did the same last season at times with Bobby Reid as the most advanced player. Will be a test for our two big central defenders and our defensive midfield.

Generally the mood down here is one of deflation. Flint, Bryan and Reid leaving for relatively modest fees have disappointed the fans.

I was going to ask you - being Bristol-based - for a scouting report on their side. Who are their best players we have to watch out for?
Really now, they are a bit of a unknown quantity. Those three players were their most influential players. Also their £5.3m signing from last year Famara Dhiediou is suspended. He is a big, leader of the line striker. They are left with solid players from last season such as Bailey Wright, Nathan Baker in defence, Marlon Pack, Josh Brownhill and Korey Smith in midifled, and Paterson and O'Dowda on the wings. New signings Adam Webster (CD, £3.5m rising to £8m) from Ipswich, Jack Hunt (£1.6m RB from Sheff Wed) and Weimann (£2m from Derby) all started last week. Mo Eisa (£1.5m striker from Cheltenham came off the bench). Joe Bryan played last week at left back and they also sold Magnusson who deputized there last season so unless they sign someone soon there seems to be a hole there.

Lee Johnson isn't a traditional type manager, and definitely suits the title of Head Coach rather than manager. He tries to be innovative with technology and tactics, and encourages his players to think for themselves out on the pitch. So far he seems to be very streaky with either long term good runs, or long term bad runs. Last season ended up with a long term bad run, so lets hope that continues on Saturday.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Really now, they are a bit of a unknown quantity. Those three players were their most influential players.

Also their £5.3m signing from last year Famara Dhiediou is suspended. He is a big, leader of the line striker.

They are left with solid players from last season such as Bailey Wright, Nathan Baker in defence, Marlon Pack, Josh Brownhill and Korey Smith in midifled, and Paterson and O'Dowda on the wings.

New signings Adam Webster (CD, £3.5m rising to £8m) from Ipswich, Jack Hunt (£1.6m RB from Sheff Wed) and Weimann (£2m from Derby) all started last week. Mo Eisa (£1.5m striker from Cheltenham came off the bench). Joe Bryan played last week at left back and they also sold Magnusson who deputized there last season so unless they sign someone soon there seems to be a hole there.

Lee Johnson isn't a traditional type manager, and definitely suits the title of Head Coach rather than manager. He tries to be innovative with technology and tactics, and encourages his players to think for themselves out on the pitch. So far he seems to be very streaky with either long term good runs, or long term bad runs. Last season ended up with a long term bad run, so lets hope that continues on Saturday.
Cheers Bristol it sounds like a good week to get them with Dhiediou suspended, Joe Bryan sold, their three best players recently gone, and newcomers not bedded in.
If we can't beat them now we likelynever will.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:16 pm

mullayo wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Really now, they are a bit of a unknown quantity. Those three players were their most influential players.

Also their £5.3m signing from last year Famara Dhiediou is suspended. He is a big, leader of the line striker.

They are left with solid players from last season such as Bailey Wright, Nathan Baker in defence, Marlon Pack, Josh Brownhill and Korey Smith in midifled, and Paterson and O'Dowda on the wings.

New signings Adam Webster (CD, £3.5m rising to £8m) from Ipswich, Jack Hunt (£1.6m RB from Sheff Wed) and Weimann (£2m from Derby) all started last week. Mo Eisa (£1.5m striker from Cheltenham came off the bench). Joe Bryan played last week at left back and they also sold Magnusson who deputized there last season so unless they sign someone soon there seems to be a hole there.

Cheers Bristol it sounds like a good week to get them with Dhiediou suspended, Joe Bryan sold, their three best players recently gone, and newcomers not bedded in.
Ah, but this is the new "after the fire-sale" Bolton, Mullayo. We have players eager to impress and score and our last two league games are memorable for fighting displays. I fully expect us to have six points and two wins by teatime Saturday. Far be it from me to exagerate or be over optimistic, I'm a realist.. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:16 pm
mullayo wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Ah, but this is the new "after the fire-sale" Bolton, Mullayo. We have players eager to impress and score and our last two league games are memorable for fighting displays. I fully expect us to have six points and two wins by teatime Saturday. Far be it from me to exagerate or be over optimistic, I'm a realist.. :lol:
Well after surviving the hectic rush of deadline day nothing less than a victory will do!
Has anyone checked the phone was connected at the jack?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Bristol City did fill their left back hole with the loan signing of Jay DaSilva from Chelsea....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Time we stopped worrying about other teams' reputations and just thought about winning. A winning mentality might not win us all our games or gain promotion, but if we go in and believe we can win...and take it to the opposition, we can make a lot of headway in this league. Let teams believe thay can write us off as take for granted point is the bag. Don't always work that way; ask Forest and West Brom. Last season is history, onwards and upwards... :oyea:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Meh, best of luck to Bristol dealing with the pace and power we can put against them in our front three. They sold Flint to Boro and whilst Baker and Webster are big lads, they're not as good as they should be in the air or when you run at them. It was Flint that held that back four together and cleared everything that came into the box. Also best of luck to Jay DaSilva up against Sammy.

It'll come down to who can control the midfield and whether we can stop them getting in behind us. If we do the basics well we can beat them. They won't have fun dealing with us if we show up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Speaking of... any news on Sammy after he went off?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:44 pm
Not heard any problems mentioned, so no news etc....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 am

Prufrock wrote:
Ominously quiet on that one. Can't see it being serious unless he really damaged his back or actually broken/dislocated his hip in the fall. But suspect he's out a few weeks given his limited range of movement after half time.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 am
Prufrock wrote:
Ominously quiet on that one. Can't see it being serious unless he really damaged his back or actually broken/dislocated his hip in the fall. But suspect he's out a few weeks given his limited range of movement after half time.
I think silence would suggest he's injured and Parky's hoping they plan for him. So Noone is it?

BTW Bristol are favourites 6/4, we're 9/5 and a draw is 11/5.
Bookies not buying into the Bolton Revolution just yet.
Me neither. Really need to see how we set up at home this week.
Our team has a wide range of skillsets and I need to see they all have a place or if we have a skeleton squad and several hangers on.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 pm

2-0 Bolton. This is just the beginning.
Businesswoman of the year.