MATCH THREAD: Into the great unknown. Bristol City (H) -11th Aug, 2018

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: MATCH THREAD: Into the great unknown. Bristol City (H) -11th Aug, 2018

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:53 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:17 pm
I'm stunned we're in seventh. It won't last.
Agree, we'll be 5th next week.
I'll stick in an internet pint you're wrong on that.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:42 pm
DJBlu wrote:
If we do okay on Tuesday we could well be higher. Leeds have destroyed two promotion hopefuls (Stoke and Derby), but those sides tried to play out from the back and got caught by the press time and again. They also both got hit on the counter over and over.

Leeds have a ton of energy and really high work rate, but they're built to press sides that need possession. We don't give a flying wottsit about possession and their centre backs may struggle against Magennis' power. They're playing Berardi and Cooper at centre back, so they can play out as a passing side - but the Swiss lad is 5'10" and Cooper is just 6', as I recall. If Magennis can keep his energy levels up he'll have fun there.

I'll be going. Should be interesting.

*edit* I'm a moron, it's a cup game.
I'm confused by this, what's Tuesday got to do with our position after next Saturday's matches?

Edit: Fair enough, just seen the *ignore*
Like every good football fan I forgot the league cup was a thing.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:53 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:17 pm
I'm stunned we're in seventh. It won't last.
I'll stick in an internet pint you're wrong on that.
:drink:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 am

I don't know if this has been covered anywhere, but has it been disclosed how bad Ameobi's injury is?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:21 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 am
I don't know if this has been covered anywhere, but has it been disclosed how bad Ameobi's injury is?
Nobody has said anything. He was there Saturday and walking around with no assistance or aids so I assume that rules out the worst possibilities. Suspect from how he landed he jarred his hip/lower back and it won't be too long.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am

Regardless of the circumstances, it was a good point - And a point, we scarcely deserved.

4 points from these 2 games is an excellent return, but we clearly missed Ameobi's quality - Magennis is a big, hard-working lad, but the ball did not stick at all and we needed a second outball, which Ameobi offers.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am
Regardless of the circumstances, it was a good point - And a point, we scarcely deserved.

4 points from these 2 games is an excellent return, but we clearly missed Ameobi's quality - Magennis is a big, hard-working lad, but the ball did not stick at all and we needed a second outball, which Ameobi offers.
Yes. And ultimately Wildschut.

We've a conundrum in that we rely on Vela's workrate, but that lad has no quality on the ball whatsoever. Not sure how we solve that. His running in that role is so crucial to how we play but his end product is non-existent.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am
boltonboris wrote:

We've a conundrum in that we rely on Vela's workrate, but that lad has no quality on the ball whatsoever. Not sure how we solve that. His running in that role is so crucial to how we play but his end product is non-existent.
I was excited to see Widschutt come on and then withing 5 minutes, he'd kicked one out of play, then just watched their full-back run 30 yards, past him and didn't move a muscle. That has to stop

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am
I was excited to see Widschutt come on and then withing 5 minutes, he'd kicked one out of play, then just watched their full-back run 30 yards, past him and didn't move a muscle. That has to stop
This was what was said about him by his previous clubs' fans. Amazing when he fancies it, but usually a passenger. PP will have known this going in and it's his job to get the lad going.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Little harsh. Thought he worked hard after coming on, acknowledging that isn't his game.

Didn't have a chance to affect the game going forwards which was a shame. Sounds like one who needs to get flying - hopefully we can get him there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am
Didn't have a chance to affect the game going forwards which was a shame. Sounds like one who needs to get flying - hopefully we can get him there.
Are we assuming he's not yet fully up to speed with his fitness? He's a big lad and it can take a while.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am

I think that he had a full pre season with Norwich, he played on their tour to Germany

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am
I think that he had a full pre season with Norwich, he played on their tour to Germany
Didn't play much and hasn't played all that much for a while. Looks like one to me who it will take time to get confidence and form going. Reckon when he's flying he's unstoppable, but takes time to rebuild him to get there.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:44 am

I think if anyone can get him there, it's Parkinson

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:29 pm

I still haven't figured out how it is possible to be built like Wildschut and be that quick!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Vela's reached his limit. He's not good enough. We need a CM who can drive us forward, pick passes and have some conviction in his shooting - like Frandsen. I thought Vela would be all that but he isn't, and probably won't be.

Klopp transformed Henderson but PP hasn't managed it with Vela.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Jugs wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Vela's reached his limit. He's not good enough. We need a CM who can drive us forward, pick passes and have some conviction in his shooting - like Frandsen. I thought Vela would be all that but he isn't, and probably won't be.

Klopp transformed Henderson but PP hasn't managed it with Vela.
But the point is his engine and workrate are crucial. But on the ball, he just doesn't do enough.

I'd like to say "play Oztumer" but we know we lose loads when Vela isn't in there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm

I get the feeling Vela has more in his locker. He used to be excellent in training with shooting and drilled passes, but we never see it in games. He seems to lack belief in his technical game. I live in hope. We need to make the best of what we have.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:44 pm

We are going to be find for collecting six bookings on Saturday.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... er-1891155

It also means we can be punished further for any more similar transgressions later in the season. I don't like to criticize refs, but John Brooks was one of the worst I've ever seen. To him, a physical but fair challenge meant a foul and a free kick. Then midway through the second half he felt he had to start brandishing yellow cards no doubt on the accumulation principle.

No doubt Ken will subtract it from end of season bonuses :)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:46 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:44 pm
We are going to be find for collecting six bookings on Saturday.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... er-1891155

It also means we can be punished further for any more similar transgressions later in the season. I don't like to criticize refs, but John Brooks was one of the worst I've ever seen. To him, a physical but fair challenge meant a foul and a free kick. Then midway through the second half he felt he had to start brandishing yellow cards no doubt on the accumulation principle.

No doubt Ken will subtract it from end of season bonuses :)
I'd never usually suggest this, but any fine needs to be appealed. That display was shocking and everyone knows it.