Will we be dishing out a right Royal thrashing? Reading v BWFC 18/8/18 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will we be dishing out a right Royal thrashing? Reading v BWFC 18/8/18 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 am
nelson66 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:15 am
Am having to stop and pinch myself.....
Great to see our progression as a team
Fair play to PP and his staff for turning our ship around
It would be interesting to see what he could create if he had a few quid to spend
People underestimated how poor our squad was last season. It was absolutely shocking. Was a bottom 3 squad all day long. Probably on paper weakest or joint weakest with Burton’s. Our first 11 before Madine went was not bad. It was passable. But behind it was a lot of league one and league two
Not arguing for arguing's sake, which people do you mean, fans or people outside the club? . Amonst our own fans I doubt anybody underestimated it at all and our problems were media fodder all season. The club's situation and our one-step away from the I.R was never underestimated as a prime reason we were where we were, as was the embargo. Most fans and supporters knew the score weekly and much of it was down to how we were playing. Giving goals away and losing points late in games or even in extra time ( a big factor in where we finished up) was down to poor play and defence from much the same squad where, a season before our central defenders were scoring for fun. I'd rather think our current success is due as much to the current new players being more confident, using their experience and playing well without "wallop it and see" being the only option and pressure easing generally within the club making for a better atmosphere. Karajan, Morais, Alf and co weren't part of a bad squad, just not playing with much conviction. Madine's skills in winning and holding balls probably helped stop the wallops being a total disaster, that's a fact few would argue with especially his suitors. In short, our failings were down to the lack of midfield, which just about everybody and his uncle Billy knew perfectly well.
Our own fans in many cases. Finishing 4th bottom with that lot was a miracle.

Morais. Much lauded. Now plays in league 2!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:47 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nelson66 wrote:
It would be interesting to see what he could create if he had a few quid to spend
People underestimated how poor our squad was last season. It was absolutely shocking. Was a bottom 3 squad all day long. Probably on paper weakest or joint weakest with Burton’s. Our first 11 before Madine went was not bad. It was passable. But behind it was a lot of league one and league two
Not arguing for arguing's sake, which people do you mean, fans or people outside the club? . Amonst our own fans I doubt anybody underestimated it at all and our problems were media fodder all season. The club's situation and our one-step away from the I.R was never underestimated as a prime reason we were where we were, as was the embargo. Most fans and supporters knew the score weekly and much of it was down to how we were playing. Giving goals away and losing points late in games or even in extra time ( a big factor in where we finished up) was down to poor play and defence from much the same squad where, a season before our central defenders were scoring for fun. I'd rather think our current success is due as much to the current new players being more confident, using their experience and playing well without "wallop it and see" being the only option and pressure easing generally within the club making for a better atmosphere. Karajan, Morais, Alf and co weren't part of a bad squad, just not playing with much conviction. Madine's skills in winning and holding balls probably helped stop the wallops being a total disaster, that's a fact few would argue with especially his suitors. In short, our failings were down to the lack of midfield, which just about everybody and his uncle Billy knew perfectly well.

I don't disagree, in fact I'm probably one of the few on here who shares your view on the quality of our squad last season. Just on the Morais thing though, that he's playing at that level is more to do with him being offered a three-year contract than it is his ability. He's perfectly good enough for third-tier football, however that's clearly still a level below the one we're currently at.

As for the general point, I can't recall a player who's left us during Parky's reign and gone onto to play at a higher level save for Madine. And he was very much Parky's creation.

(Karacan has just signed for Milwall on a short-term contract, but I get the impression that he's pretty much fourth or fifth choice.)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nelson66 wrote:

You're defeating you own argument here. You claimed people were underestimating how poor the squad was, yet say it was a miracle we finished fourth bottom with same bad squad. Fine, but did you actually read what I wrote in reply? How could our own fans be unaware of how poor we were when we were down there weekly and facing financial ruin to boot? My argument isn't that we weren't in deep shxt as a squad, that was patently obvious; but that fans were more than well aware of it and not the opposite. How could they not be? Not losing hope is one thing, being blind another entirely. I doubt few of our fans are the latter. In addition to Morais, Karajan and Madine, Henry, Flannagan, Walker, Clough, even Pratley weren't rubbish; they were just disorganised and not gelling as a team or system. That too I'm pretty sure everybody knew.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Just when it appeared things couldn't get any better.

Brighton 3-2 Man U.

Carlsberg footballing weekend :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nelson66 wrote:

You're defeating you own argument here. You claimed people were underestimating how poor the squad was, yet say it was a miracle we finished fourth bottom with same bad squad. Fine, but did you actually read what I wrote in reply? How could our own fans be unaware of how poor we were when we were down there weekly and facing financial ruin to boot? My argument isn't that we weren't in deep shxt as a squad, that was patently obvious; but that fans were more than well aware of it and not the opposite. How could they not be? Not losing hope is one thing, being blind another entirely. I doubt few of our fans are the latter. In addition to Morais, Karajan and Madine, Henry, Flannagan, Walker, Clough, even Pratley weren't rubbish; they were just disorganised and not gelling as a team or system. That too I'm pretty sure everybody knew.
TD you know full well that the argument was that we were more than good enough, but Parky was the problem.

That was patently nonsense. As the destinations of our players from last year shows. Walker, Morais are lower league players.

And Henry who clearly played at a higher level was 35 years old.....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:54 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Brighton 3-2 Man U.

Really enjoyed that. United getting the run around in behind from Glen Murray. I wouldn't swap Wheavers for their CBs.

On us, I've said before I think our recruitment has been v good pound for pound. Lots of reasons Ken is a c*nt, but him being an agent adds value. He's managed to spend f*ck all but give our very good manager just enough to do what he needs to.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nelson66 wrote:

TD you know full well that the argument was that we were more than good enough, but Parky was the problem.

That was patently nonsense. As the destinations of our players from last year shows. Walker, Morais are lower league players.And Henry who clearly played at a higher level was 35 years old.....
I give up.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:54 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Brighton 3-2 Man U.

Really enjoyed that. United getting the run around in behind from Glen Murray. I wouldn't swap Wheavers for their CBs.

On us, I've said before I think our recruitment has been v good pound for pound. Lots of reasons Ken is a c*nt, but him being an agent adds value. He's managed to spend f*ck all but give our very good manager just enough to do what he needs to.
Yes, Ken has his negatives, but he has always been very good at getting players into the club, despite us being paupers. It feels like his agent background gives him a really good sense of how negotiations with players and agents work and we get good, value for money deals as a result.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCD5ZF-nAUU

I know Buckley gets a lot of stick, especially on twittersphere, but that slotted pass from Big JMag (00:54) does him no favours whatsoever.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:41 pm

I know Buckley gets a lot of stick, especially on twittersphere, but that slotted pass from Big JMag (00:54) does him no favours whatsoever.
That's what I said. Poor pass.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Its not a great ball but it doesn't stop him putting his foot through it. Was a weak effort.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 pm

It's still a better pass than it is shot!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 pm
It's still a better pass than it is shot!
Indeed. Hit it properly and that is a goal. Why he is trying to side foot it in like that is beyond me.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 pm

A poor shot because he has to check his run and wait for the ball to trundle into the correct spot. Biology and Physics conspiring against him. Take a touch to get it out of his feet and put his foot thru it and the defenders get back to mop up (two are almost in his line already as it is - such was the shitness of the pass).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 pm
A poor shot because he has to check his run and wait for the ball to trundle into the correct spot. Biology and Physics conspiring against him. Take a touch to get it out of his feet and put his foot thru it and the defenders get back to mop up (two are almost in his line already as it is - such was the shitness of the pass).
Nah. It isn't that difficult a hit. He has time to let it come across and hit it. He chooses to weakly side foot it at the keeper.

Others would have scored that by simply putting their foot through it, first time.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm

physics.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm
physics.
Nah. You see people in league two score from similar range with worse passes than that every week. Laces through it, keep it down, likely goal.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:25 pm
Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 pm
Nah. It isn't that difficult a hit. He has time to let it come across and hit it. He chooses to weakly side foot it at the keeper.

Others would have scored that by simply putting their foot through it, first time.
Point is, a better pass - which wasn't hard to do - would have made the shot a lot easier.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:22 pm

I thought Buckley should've taken a step towards the ball and struck it with power when it was clear it was rolling too slowly for his shot to benefit from any momentum.

Still, for anyone who witnessed our away games last year it is a surprising and pleasant experience to be reflecting on two clear cut chances from one away game!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:33 pm
Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm
physics.
Nah. You see people in league two score from similar range with worse passes than that every week. Laces through it, keep it down, likely goal.
What name did you play for England under? :|