Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by Jugs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:42 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:17 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm
As others have said, we are really missing Sammy. When is he due back as it can't come quick enough?
We surely can't be, or afford to be a one man team. As soon as Sammi appears he'll be marked c loser than xxxxx without an ankle tag. If Parky uses this and plays around it we might ease him back in quietly and effectively. If he comes back with us having expectations of his being a one man wonder boy it just won't happen. We need to get the rest playing to see the best of Sammi.
He's one the few who can hold the ball in tight situations. You look at the team we're playing now and you ask "who will add the telling piece of quality" and its a struggle. Oztumer has a nice touch but is league one quality when it counts. Our wide players cannot beat a man - nor can our wingbacks. Our strikers seems to all be better with balls down the channel than holding off centre backs - so its not easy to play off a target like we did with Madine. Our midfield is competent but not incisive. All round we're a stronger side than last season (there are fewer weak spots in team and squad) but we're missing quality around the box. I don't think Sammy is the complete answer but he helps.

Right now our attacking players -
Wildschutt - been dreadful. Abysmal.
Noone - Absolute garbage.
Buckley - Good for 10 minutes then rubbish, then good, then injured.
Oztumer - can't hit a barn door, and his final ball is awful
Doidge - looks lively but chances aren't falling to him - and he needs a partner
Magennis - Big battering ram with a touch of pace - hard to see him bagging more than 10
Donaldson - Looks the part up until the finish. Is 34
Vela - Can't score, won't score. Can't pass, won't pass.
Williams - I like him, but he's a traditional all action midfield player - won't score or create many.

You can throw Olkowski (who is never a wing back) or Dyer (what the hell is he?) into the mix.

The bottom line is there is precious little invention in there nor goals.

Wildschutt was a good idea but it hasn't worked. You can see if he was confident and in the right frame of mind he'd be a threat. But he's neither of those things and I'm guessing is least suited to a side struggling as we are. Noone is a major disappointment. As well as being poor he's lazy.

We needed one of the wingers to come off - and they haven't. We needed one of the strikers to somehow step into Madine's shoes and whilst Magennis has partially done that he's a different type and it goes a long way to showing why we're a better away side than home side. Magennis is a battler and a chaser. He's not a hold up man. At home Madine let you play off him, with our strikers now they all want the same channel service but then we're not a team that naturally plays from there at home.
Don't forget Ireland.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 am

malcd1 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:20 am
malcd1 wrote:
I am not a PP 'outer' but I think that day is getting closer. Once the majority of crowd turn on him that will be it.

My problem with Phil is he has no idea what is our best team or formation. It's as though he draws them out of the hat each week. He swaps his players and formation trying to stumble on a winning system and it really isn't good enough.

Bolton fans can take defeat as long as we have a go and give 100%. It seemed a bit better yesterday but the negative play and lack of creativity is a real worry. As others have said, we are really missing Sammy. When is he due back as it can't come quick enough?
And if he just played the same system and players week in and week out, you'd be saying "no plan B - really isn't good enough".
What I m saying is he has no Plan A never mind Plan B.
Do you really think that? We try lots of things. Always have under PP. Different systems, different ways of playing. I think the bottom line is that whatever system or plan you want a little bit of quality when it counts is what decides whether it works or doesn't.

The problem seems to be that we have a good run, then a bad one. And we can't break that cycle. More consistency is needed but I do wonder again if that is a result of a lack of quality in depth?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:05 pm

Not sure - My problem is that psychologically, we as fans and the players will know that a defeat leads to incredibly long runs wothout a win. Every year, without fail.

Even if we go on unbeaten for the next 5 which we often do, we then know there will be 8-10 games without a win

That's sapping and it's inevitable.

He's struggling and previously, the struggles have been met with support. He's lost that support now and the fans are staying away. Even season ticket holders have sacked it off.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 am
malcd1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
I am not a PP 'outer' but I think that day is getting closer. Once the majority of crowd turn on him that will be it.

My problem with Phil is he has no idea what is our best team or formation. It's as though he draws them out of the hat each week. He swaps his players and formation trying to stumble on a winning system and it really isn't good enough.

Bolton fans can take defeat as long as we have a go and give 100%. It seemed a bit better yesterday but the negative play and lack of creativity is a real worry. As others have said, we are really missing Sammy. When is he due back as it can't come quick enough?
And if he just played the same system and players week in and week out, you'd be saying "no plan B - really isn't good enough".
Do you really think that? We try lots of things. Always have under PP. Different systems, different ways of playing. I think the bottom line is that whatever system or plan you want a little bit of quality when it counts is what decides whether it works or doesn't.

The problem seems to be that we have a good run, then a bad one. And we can't break that cycle. More consistency is needed but I do wonder again if that is a result of a lack of quality in depth?
I get your point about quality and I think you are right to a certain extent. Recently though, Parkinson has become a Tinkerman, making too many changes each game because he is desperately trying to find a winning team. Creating next to nothing in the process. I'm not sure it is helping the players making so many changes to the personnel or formation.

Derby was a game where we have a plan, a system and a shape where we hardly gave them a sniff at goal. I know we didn't create much but we never looked in trouble at any time in the game. Since then we have been awful. Really, really awful.

As I said further up, I don't want him sacked but he had better stumble on this winning formula pretty quickly, for his sake.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:22 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

I get your point about quality and I think you are right to a certain extent. Recently though, Parkinson has become a Tinkerman, making too many changes each game because he is desperately trying to find a winning team. Creating next to nothing in the process. I'm not sure it is helping the players making so many changes to the personnel or formation.

Derby was a game where we have a plan, a system and a shape where we hardly gave them a sniff at goal. I know we didn't create much but we never looked in trouble at any time in the game. Since then we have been awful. Really, really awful.

As I said further up, I don't want him sacked but he had better stumble on this winning formula pretty quickly, for his sake.
Agree with the shape changes - I think 4-5-1 is our best system but the fans moan about that too. But I do think he should change less generally. Have an idea how he thinks we'll break the run and stick to it.

If you take Saturday though, composure and quality from Oztumer and Donaldson and we could have won 3-1 and Hull could have had few complaints if we had. But instead Oztumer wastes a barrage of decent chances and Donaldson skies the best chance of the game for us. That piece of quality means everyone says "good performance - lots of chances and goals". Instead everyone picks everything apart because the pieces of quality needed when it mattered weren't there.

If you look at Blackburn its sort of the same. Less about finishing more about final ball. But dominated the game, setup and tactics were fine - lacked quality in the final third. Rotherham away another example a scrappy first half - stick that early 2nd half penalty away and well...there was a real chance of 3 points.

If you look at early season performance or games we've won they all have a common theme - we've defended well and not conceded early or the first goal, and we've found a way to score first half (apart from Brum). At home if we don't score early I think mentally we struggle (its been like this for a few years now).

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 pm

malcd1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:57 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:44 pm
And to answer DSB's question: YES. YES, YES YES YES.
Fair enough. But you only get one vote :D

Did you vote, LLS? Or were you already a yes? Only, curiously, since I reposted this last night the vote has gone from 40% yes to 35%. As the raw numbers haven't gone up (25v37 to 22v40), it seems like three forummers have changed their mind in Parky's favour. (I'm not asking anyone to drop their ballot-box anonymity, unless they want to.)
Nope. I didn't/haven't changed my vote.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:22 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

Agree with the shape changes - I think 4-5-1 is our best system but the fans moan about that too. But I do think he should change less generally. Have an idea how he thinks we'll break the run and stick to it.

If you take Saturday though, composure and quality from Oztumer and Donaldson and we could have won 3-1 and Hull could have had few complaints if we had. But instead Oztumer wastes a barrage of decent chances and Donaldson skies the best chance of the game for us. That piece of quality means everyone says "good performance - lots of chances and goals". Instead everyone picks everything apart because the pieces of quality needed when it mattered weren't there.

If you look at Blackburn its sort of the same. Less about finishing more about final ball. But dominated the game, setup and tactics were fine - lacked quality in the final third. Rotherham away another example a scrappy first half - stick that early 2nd half penalty away and well...there was a real chance of 3 points.

If you look at early season performance or games we've won they all have a common theme - we've defended well and not conceded early or the first goal, and we've found a way to score first half (apart from Brum). At home if we don't score early I think mentally we struggle (its been like this for a few years now).
If we had won those games we would be one point off the playoffs. We're just a little bit of quality away from a good side. Ireland, Ameobi, and Oztumer together might make a difference. There's always January too. Mid table should be seen as a successful season, we're not significantly off track from that.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:12 pm

with us, January could bring more key exits than arrivals, so I wouldn't be too excited about an upturn after the window

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:44 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:12 pm
with us, January could bring more key exits than arrivals, so I wouldn't be too excited about an upturn after the window
Thing is, B.B, despite the £1 fee, K.A owns the club and his name is on everything to do with us. If his past reputation is up for criticism, surely he won't want to make it worse by losing the fan base completely? We've already gone from a top end reputation as a football club to something a bit less due to all the shenanigins with the courts, unpaid bills and Inland Revenue etc. Our staff is more an emaciated skeleton than healthy already, with loans and short contracts. Surely time to start looking upwards for a change? Even K.A must see that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:34 pm

I don't think he gives a shit unless even more seats are empty

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Quick snapshot after the Swansea result, which may just get a few to change their mind.
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 17.01.31.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 17.01.31.png (19.55 KiB) Viewed 3708 times

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 pm

1 win in 13 and only 5 goals scored in those 13 games

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Bye Bye Phil....thanks for the most boring, ugly, long ball, most turgid football in decades.....I think Bradford are looking for a longball / hoof manager

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 pm
Bye Bye Phil....thanks for the most boring, ugly, long ball, most turgid football in decades.....I think Bradford are looking for a longball / hoof manager
.. and for the promotion and keeping us up last year.

Cheers.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm resigned to relegation this year and unfortunately it appears the players are too. I'm not sure any new manager can get more effort out of the players, but I'd be surprised if there isn't someone who could organise us better and at least carry a goal threat.

Ken doesn't like spending unnecessary money though. I can't see him paying Parky off when on the face of it, it wouldn't give us a greater chance of staying up
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:16 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:05 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

Cheers.
Aye with the 2nd best squad in the division....well done Phil getting us out of league 1 with the most expensive squad in the league.

Anyway I've heard he's gone, Bradford have promised him a 6ft 9in striker & a CB who can launch the ball 100 metres from a standing start, guaranteed to be within 20 yards of said 6ft 9ins striker's head....apparently Parkinson is elated as its a perfect tactical scenario for him.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:27 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:16 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

Cheers.
Aye with the 2nd best squad in the division....well done Phil getting us out of league 1 with the most expensive squad in the league.

Anyway I've heard he's gone, Bradford have promised him a 6ft 9in striker & a CB who can launch the ball 100 metres from a standing start, guaranteed to be within 20 yards of said 6ft 9ins striker's head....apparently Parkinson is elated as its a perfect tactical scenario for him.
Still did it.

You'll thank him for keeping us up last year though?.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:27 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:16 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

Cheers.

Still did it.

You'll thank him for keeping us up last year though?.
No I won't he's an awful manager - I'll thank ALF & Wilbraham for keeping us up last year.....remember Burton away that was how I'll remember Parkinson, because that game summed him up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 pm

At least someone's happy, anyway.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.