Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm
The only reason he won’t be sacked before Christmas is Ken’s budget.

Are we really that much more worse off than Rotherham, Wigan pre takeover, Blackburn, all clubs with similar attendances?

Budget wise, worse off than Blackburn and Wigan certainly.

officer_dibble wrote:
He has signed players this summer...in a way looking at the shite he has amassed I am glad he wasn’t given much money...

We’re beaten as soon as we concede, which is generally within the firsT half hour - if the stadium emptied at half time you couldn’t blame anyone!

Total lack of confidence and totally clueless in front of goal. I think we’re into needing to change manager territory else our record low points tally will be looming again.

But the point is that he's signed those players because he wasn't given much money. He wanted Wyke, he wanted Garner, he wanted Robinson, we were after Celina last season. He got none of them.
Again complete bollocks.....you're just guessing at this, I'm sure that he came out and said that he didn't actually want Celina - and this last window he said that Doidge was his 1st choice target.

Of course, he did. What manager signs a player and then says "well, actually, I wanted the others but he'll have to do"?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:02 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:36 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:25 pm
twilight wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm
You have just said it all there Nich. He is ok in the 3rd tier, that's where he belongs. He can manage there, organise there, but it's too much for him in the Championship. He is out-thought on every tactic going in this league

Maybe, but - and I'll no doubt be scoffed at for even suggesting this - he's working with if not the lowest then the second lowest budget in the league. Not only that but he's having to foster a team spirit amongst players being paid late and threats of administration. Whatever you think about his tactical ability (and I'd argue that he's better than a lot of people think), there's no doubt that his players are still playing for him despite all the uncertainty and the shenanigans going on behinds the scenes. Money isn't the be all and end all, but Swansea City have spent much more than we have and for large parts of the game today we matched them. Give Parky a proper budget and some financial stability and he'd probably do alright.
Give Parky a proper budget - I'm fcuking pissing myself at this....you are seriously deluded, based on what ? I wouldn't give him another £1, I wouldn't give him another day he couldn't organise a church raffle....I honestly don't see it.....teams with worse budgets & worse players than us are more organised, work harder, are fitter, play better football, create more, even score the odd goal....I've never understood people defending Parkinson he's a League 1 manager at best....and if anyone disagrees please show me his record at championship level

I think this is the nub of it. You haven't realised just how little money we have. There's only one club that has a lower budget than us and that's Rotherham. Except their manager isn't expected to build a team capable of finishing mid-table, nor are they living on a financial knife-edge. It doesn't excuse everything but for crying out loud, things behind the scenes are a great deal worse than you think they are and have a much bigger impact than we will ever probably know. Parky isn't brilliant, but neither is he the absolute worst.

And as for delusion, I recall a time last season when you were on yet another of your rants against Parky that when pressed for suggestions as to who we should appoint instead, you offered up Thomas f*cking Tuchel. That's the same Thomas Tuchel who turned down Everton a few weeks previously because they weren't in the Champions League.
Didn't Rotherham beat Swansea last week....?

Yes, but then again they lost to Birmingham, a team who we beat. Taking one result in isolation is daft.

Have they also had their most creative player out injured for two months?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
The only reason he won’t be sacked before Christmas is Ken’s budget.

Are we really that much more worse off than Rotherham, Wigan pre takeover, Blackburn, all clubs with similar attendances?

Budget wise, worse off than Blackburn and Wigan certainly.

officer_dibble wrote:
He has signed players this summer...in a way looking at the shite he has amassed I am glad he wasn’t given much money...

We’re beaten as soon as we concede, which is generally within the firsT half hour - if the stadium emptied at half time you couldn’t blame anyone!

Total lack of confidence and totally clueless in front of goal. I think we’re into needing to change manager territory else our record low points tally will be looming again.

But the point is that he's signed those players because he wasn't given much money. He wanted Wyke, he wanted Garner, he wanted Robinson, we were after Celina last season. He got none of them.
Again complete bollocks.....you're just guessing at this, I'm sure that he came out and said that he didn't actually want Celina - and this last window he said that Doidge was his 1st choice target.

Re Celina: even the lad himself said we were in for him.

Perhaps not complete bollocks then?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 pm

My last post on this because your becoming more boring than Parkinson....I said that I'm sure that Parkinson came out & said that he didn't want Celina and had other targets....I recall the lads twitter post driving past the Reebok, and we all thought he would sign and then he went to Ipswich because we hadn't made him an offer or something similar.

I've not disputed that the lad said that we were after him....its doesn't mean that Parkinson wanted him does it ?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 pm
My last post on this because your becoming more boring than Parkinson....I said that I'm sure that Parkinson came out & said that he didn't want Celina and had other targets....I recall the lads twitter post driving past the Reebok, and we all thought he would sign and then he went to Ipswich because we hadn't made him an offer or something similar.

I've not disputed that the lad said that we were after him....its doesn't mean that Parkinson wanted him does it ?

He wanted him. Read his quotes here.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:55 pm

It doesnt matter whether he wanted him or we didn't. We havent't got him so is it relevant? At the end of the day, Parkinson looks defeated, he doesnt know what to do next, so me personally I would sack him so we can preserve what he did do for us, and that is now in our history books, BUT we have to move forward, and I don't think he is the man to do that sadly

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:00 pm

So, in effect after all the arguing, teams get scored against every week, all of them. We're not unique, and the only difference is that they score and lose 3-1,3-2 etc where we don 't. In how many games so far this season has the one solitary goal done us? When you come up with the answer, add just one point for a draw in each of the ones we lost and see where we'd be in the league. Not scoring is what's hammering us, not the single goals that so often see us off. Get the lot of them on shooting practise Phil and we might just survive after all. How many times has a speculative shot gone in and put us behind? One did today, one did last week.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:24 pm

All this Celina stuff is new to me. Interesting, though. I saw him at the start of the season for Swansea and thought what an exciting player he is.

Ah well, we've got Yanic instead.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:27 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:55 pm
It doesnt matter whether he wanted him or we didn't. We havent't got him so is it relevant? At the end of the day, Parkinson looks defeated, he doesnt know what to do next, so me personally I would sack him so we can preserve what he did do for us, and that is now in our history books, BUT we have to move forward, and I don't think he is the man to do that sadly

It's only relevant insofar as it shows that he would have signed decent players if he had even an average budget to work with.

Anyway, I'm not particularly desperate for him to stay, and I couldn't argue if he were to get the boot even though I personally wouldn't get rid just yet, as recent results and, today aside, recent performances have been dire. Neither do I think that we couldn't part company and then find someone better. But I think it's only fair that we all judge him in the proper context, and ultimately, I think that our lack of money is the biggest reason why we're in the position that we're in.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 pm

If Parky was able to sign decent players are we sure he would know how to get the best out of them? we are short on goals, so he had two strikers on the bench, they may not be the best strikers but they won't be, sat on the bench will they? anyway, I've had enough of them, I won't be going to the wigan match, nor any in the near future, its dire

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:08 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 pm
If Parky was able to sign decent players are we sure he would know how to get the best out of them? we are short on goals, so he had two strikers on the bench, they may not be the best strikers but they won't be, sat on the bench will they? anyway, I've had enough of them, I won't be going to the wigan match, nor any in the near future, its dire

Every manager has their hits and misses but he turned Madine into a proper target man. He's also got Ameobi causing the opposition problems. He developed Robinson well and had Little playing decently on the overlap. Wheater and Beevers formed a pretty good partnership under his management until recently, and he was inspired in getting more from Vela by pushing him further forward. There's enough there to infer that he's alright at improving players.

His benching of Doidge explains his chase of Wyke and Garner in my opinion. I think he thinks we play at our best in a 4-2-3-1 (he's probably not wrong) and so he was looking for a player who could be strong enough to play as the lone target man and also be the finisher. One of my main criticisms of him is that, especially as we aren't scoring, he needs to find a way to get Doidge into the team regularly now that we've brought him in. That, though, is easier said than done.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:17 pm

My point is, how many goals, has that team of 11 players, scored recently? None, the two players who have scored, this season, he had on the bench today! I'm not talking about last season, the season before, I'm talking here and now, he has lost the plot, he chops and changes too much and that is a sign of a desperate manager, a manager that has lost his way. It's time for change

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:12 am

Nicho touches on a good point. The players seem to genuinely like Parky, whether it's Wheater (the only person, bar Amos, who was at the club before PP) or any of the signings. Throughout his career Ameobi has been flakier than a non-committal Flake with psoriasis but he's worked his socks off for Parky, sometimes to the point where he's blowing so hard he needs his inhaler. All change carries threat as well as opportunity and while I can see that someone like MickMac could get them more organised at one end and dangerous at the other, isn't it also possible that some players will get worse?

Parky has a lot to answer for, as well as a lot to be proud of, considering the constraints. If you don't score - and we simply don't score - you don't win, and that can't last. He's running out of road, and starting to sound like a defeated, tired man; I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he's gone, whether by jumping or being pushed. But I come back to opportunity and threat. Just under three years ago, swan-diving under a clearly dispirited Lennon, the consensus was that change couldn't make us any worse. And then it did.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:02 am

I find this a particularly futile version of the "should the manager be sacked" argument.

It's got all the classic ingredients, appalling current results, previous success, extraneous factors and the old "who else would you get?" chestnut.

You have to be a moron to think he's done a bad job. And it's also clearly going very badly indeed right now. So they only people with listening to are either arguing that it's a tough gig and in the circumstances you can't do any more with the players he's got, or, it's a tough gig but in the circumstances someone else might be able to do better.

There's not really a lot to get hold of on either view.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:16 am

If we were a club with stability and support from the ownership/chairman level, then there is definitely a case that Parky doesn't have the ability to manage effectively at this level. I am prepared to be patient, I think he is trying to evolve how we play, but I am not sure what the strategy is anymore. We need at a minimum to be a threat at set pieces, and we aren't. We have no way to score playing like this unless Ameobi produces some individual quality. If we were to become a passing team, we needed to work on movement at the top end of the pitch. But we haven't done that so we pass our way into the final third then we are marked and static. We might not have a big budget, but the players are good enough, I do feel another manager could get more out of this group as an attacking force. Also, based on today we are still giving the initiative away at the start of games. As the home team we need to be the aggressors in the first 20 minutes, not just settle in and work our way into the game, whilst talented opposition players get a feel for the ball and start to feel confident.

We have a massive problem with KA and our finances. It is likely we need to find £6m from somewhere to get through this season, and I can't see who we can sell in January to raise funds. Players were apparently not paid on time again last week. Any prospective manager looking in from the outside would quickly conclude the club is a complete clusterfuck. I can't see a decent manager coming here in these circumstances, so we are going to have carry on as we are and hope it comes together I feel.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:00 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:12 am
Just under three years ago, swan-diving under a clearly dispirited Lennon, the consensus was that change couldn't make us any worse. And then it did.
Can't agree with you here DSB. At the end of Freedmans reign we were heading towards relegation at a pace. Lennon, however briefly, gave the side fresh impetus when he came in and we stayed up quite easily that first year.

Obviously it was only a season's reprieve and I'm glad he was gone by the time relegation was confirmed.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 am

Has he been sacked yet ?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:58 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:00 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:12 am
Just under three years ago, swan-diving under a clearly dispirited Lennon, the consensus was that change couldn't make us any worse. And then it did.
Can't agree with you here DSB. At the end of Freedmans reign we were heading towards relegation at a pace. Lennon, however briefly, gave the side fresh impetus when he came in and we stayed up quite easily that first year.

Obviously it was only a season's reprieve and I'm glad he was gone by the time relegation was confirmed.
With respect Harry I think you've misread me (because/or I've not been clear enough). I meant the end, not the start, of Lennon's reign. "Jiminho couldn't do any worse" - the results were 0-6, 0-1, 1-3, 1-4, 1-2, 0-0, 1-2, 1-0, 0-1.

"And worse I may be yet. The worst is not
So long as we can say 'This is the worst.'" - Edgar, King Lear

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Parkinson has always been a streaky manager. Although this losing streak has been one of the worst, he is due to have a run of losing one in six. I think we need to give him another five games now that Sammy is back. Only pick up a point or two (or even worse) and he has to go for me.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:59 pm

If we don't score at either Millwall or Sheff Weds, it'd make it 1 goal in 3 months? That's an insane record that's impossible to defend.